Forum Member

Default Can I Still get a job

About a year ago I was arrested for DUI in Florida were I live. After hiring a lawyer and all smoke cleared I pleaded no contest to reckless driving and paid a fine with some community service and DUI school.(standard plea deal for first time offenders). Im sure this subject has been beat to death around here but I am new to the site and greatly appreciate any feedback whatsoever. I also have a misdemeanor possesion of alcohol charge from about 5 years ago. Do departments look at the arrests or are they only concerned with the CONVICTIONS???? Also as a result of me refusing a breath test my license was suspended( I have had it fully reinstated). The one thing I have going for me is I have 4 years of outstanding military service(Marine Corps) with a long list of individual awards. I dont want to make any excuses for my past behavior, I did it, I paid the price, its time to move on. I just want to know if I should be working toward another career.

Forum Member

Yeah it will be a long shot to get hired

Forum Member

Default It takes time

Shawn...it will take time....but if you keep your nose clean and work hard it all yours. When we ask have your ever had driving offenses or problems with the law....the key word is ever. Just put it down and explain the instantces for which it occured and you'll do o.k.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default Maybe, Maybe Not

A DUI is probably responsible for eliminating more people from getting a fire job than everything else combined, because they are all too common and they are so easy to find. They stick out like a sore thumb.

The problem for the test taker is that if they have 200 people to choose from why take a chance on the one with a past. If one person on a department gets a DUI, it is on the front page of the newspaper the next day. “LOCAL FIREFIGHTER GETS DUI”, the head line reads, but in the publics mind, each and every person on the department just got a DUI. So you need to find a way to convince a panel or chief that it won’t happen again.

As Jay said above, time keeping your nose clean will help. Having a military background will help. Getting on with a volunteer department, working on an ambulance, getting a degree, taking every related class, and getting good at taking the tests will all help. But realistically, five years from now you could still be failing out in every background check because of you conviction.

Can you get hired? Yes. Have people gotten jobs after a DUI? Yes. Was it easy? No way.

If you can apply yourself, stay clean, and be patient, there will always be a chance. But I think you would be very smart to have a good plan “B”. Or even a plan “A” and then have firefighting be your plan “B”, because I have to say a department would be taking a huge chance on you.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Its good to hear from someone who has actually been there. Now if I can get cleared up on one thing...... I didnt get CONVICTED of DUI I had it reduced to reckless driving. I know technically that wont DQ me most places where I live but will the interviewers and backround people even consider the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Shawn,
    A dui is not automatically a death sentence. For the record whether is was reduced or not is not the issue. It's a matter of making a poor choice. Here's the question that will come up. Was this a one time occasion, or did you make a history of driving under the influence and finally get caught?

In-depth investigations usually show that someone convicted of driving under the influence has done it dozens of times before being stopped.
    What does the rest of your background look like? Are there other issues that will arise with credit, employee conflicts, multiple employers, late payments, etc?
    Many departments have a standing rule that they will not hire any candidate with an alcohol related arrest for three (the number may vary) years.
    I would encourage you to look into the departments that interest you and inquire yourself. You will be surprised at how much information is available to you.
    Lastly, as was pointed out in a previous post; We have hundreds of candidates from which to choose. This will certainly have an impact on the decision making process.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default DUI's

No department wants one of their firefighters cited with a DUI. If you have already had a DUI, it's difficult but not impossible to get hired. Candidates who have been cited with wet and reckless (less than a DUI) can also have problems getting hired. A candidate who seldom drinks was stopped after his wedding reception. He was cited for wet/reckless. Even though nothing happened before this incident, over one year later, he is still having problems getting hired.

If you do a psych, the doctor could DQ you because he might feel (I have actually seen this written on a report from a psychologist) because of the pressures of the job; you could end up drinking more.

You could try and get the record expunged. But anymore department ask you in many ways in the background packet "Have you ever?" Likewise, if answer that you have had a charge expunged, they still want to know what it was.

You should never bring this situation up in an oral interview unless the panel does. Many candidates feel they have to do repair work. It will only bury you. The panel probably won't because this is something that is handled with the background investigator.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I've never had a drink in my life and I'm having a hard time getting hired. Hope all works out well for you. Good luck.

Forum Member

Again I want to thank all of the vets who have posted and given me valuable information. I know for the fact my situation wont necesarily DQ me but it will damn sure make it an uphill battle. I appreciate the advice and insight. One thing is for sure........It will take time,and patience. I was in EMT school the first time when 911 happened. I was young and decided to join the Marines and put my career on hold. It was the best choice Ive ever made even though I lost my EMT certification. I came home after 5 years and F@#%d up. But as long as Im not DQ'ed theres not a soul in hell that will keep me from being a firefighter, it just might take me a while......................................oh yeah im back in EMT school and scored a 94 on my first test and just got my AHA CPR today which should be small potatoes for most of you but its one step closer for me............ thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Shawn,
    Your passion will take you far. Congrats on the 94% on your CPR test. Make it impossible for a department to tell you NO.
    Remember, time is your best friend. The more that passes the better.
    Keep your nose clean.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Shawn, If it was up to me, I would hire you in a heartbeat. The fact that you got nailed for reckless driving, by no means, should over-shadow the tremendous sacrifice you made for your country. Good luck soldier, and for Christ sake,don't do it again ! polecat.

Thread Information