Forum Member

Default City of Los Angeles

The Los Angeles Fire Department offers exceptional career opportunities for men and women of all majors seeking professional and personal satisfaction. With excellent salaries and benefits, various job assignments, unlimited opportunities for advancement, and the chance to make a real difference in the community, joining the LAFD family may be just the exciting and diversified career you are looking for.

Visit www.lafd.org/join for more information.

Duties
    As members of the Los Angeles Fire Department, a Firefighterís duties include engaging directly in firefighting, emergency medical services requiring assignment to a rescue ambulance, mitigation of hazardous materials emergencies, fire prevention and rescue, and inspections of buildings and properties to ensure compliance with the fire codes. All Firefighterís are required to become Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) and may be required to become Paramedics.

Salary and Benefits
    ∑ Full pay during Academy training
    ∑ Annual Salaries start at $46,729 to $64,686.
    ∑ Bilingual Bonus
    ∑ Family and domestic partner health and dental coverage
    ∑ 15 days paid vacation to start
    ∑ Flexible work schedules
    ∑ Pension plan

Application Process
    You may begin the application process by completing a Preliminary Background Application (PBA) and taking the written test. The PBA may be completed online and candidates will be advised if they have a realistic chance of success in the common areas of the background investigation. Go to www.lacity.org/per/safety.htm and click on the PBA.

About the LAFD
    The Los Angeles Fire Department is one of best firefighting agencies in the world and has long set a standard of excellence for training and performance. For more information about the LAFD, visit www.LAFD.org/join.

Requirements
    ∑ An applicant must be 18 years of age at the time of hiring.
    ∑ An applicant must have a high school diploma, GED (or equivalent), or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate.
    ∑ A valid California Driverís License is required at the time of appointment.
    ∑ A valid EMT Certificate and/or Paramedic License is highly desired.
    ∑ The ability to speak or write a language other than English is highly desired.
    ∑ Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT): Candidates must maintain a current passing score on the CPAT from the time of application to the time of appointment as a Firefighter. Candidates may apply provisionally if they are currently enrolled in a CPAT program. However, no applicant will be scheduled for the written test until proof of successful completion of the CPAT program has been submitted. A CPAT score is valid for one year.

And Now to Box 2565's Message - Why not come to the Cincinnati area for these events!

March 9, 2007 - Milford, Ohio. Annual fire memorabilia auction. Consignments are currently being accepted. If you have 1 item or 100 to sell, contact the auctioneer. Auction preview Friday 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Auction at 7:00 p.m. Auction information: Howard Kuhnell 605 Garfield Milford OH 45150. Phone: 513-831-6398 or howdi@fuse.net

Items in the prior auctions run the range of fire collectibles: helmets; lanterns, badges, alarm equipment, apparatus goodies, literature, Ahrens-Fox and Cincinnati area items, toys, etc.

March 10, 2007 - Milford, Ohio. 14th annual fire flea market
    (Fire related items only). Saturday from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Admission $2.00. Dealer set up on Friday the 9th from 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. and Saturday beginning at 7:00 a.m. Tables are $10.00 each. Chairs provided. Electricity is available; please let us know if you will need an outlet at the time of registration. There are a maximum of 60 tables available for rent.

Deadline to reserve Flea Market space is March 1st. A confirmation letter will be mailed around February 1st with any additional information requested. Table Assignment, vendor pass, and pass for 1 assistant per table (maximum of 3) will be given to you when you arrive. You must provide table cloths for any heavy items or leave them on the floor. Any damage to your assigned tables will be your responsibility for the payment for a replacement table.

Information: Mark Hetzel, SR 3623 Rio Bravo Trail Cleves OH 45002-2314 Phone: 513-467-1757 or PatchGuru21@fuse.net

Click here for a printable Flea Market Registration Form: http://www.milesgreenwood.org/flearegistration.html.

The location for these events is the Milford Firefighters Community Hall which is conveniently located at the Milford Shopping Center on Lila Avenue (U.S. Route 50 and the intersection of Ohio Route 131 - just across from the Milford fire station!). The hall is at the east end of the plaza. This is a great facility with plenty of parking and easy access in and out (no steps)! There are many hotels and restaurants nearby.

Forum Member

So how do you get CPAT certified if you're out of state?
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would assume that you can go to a testing location thats near you and basically transfer your status to LA city. I know im going to try and see if they'll take my fairfax CPAT test.

Forum Member

What are the chances of an ole Florida boy getting on with LA or any California department? I've been looking at the state for a while, as I see so many openings, but I hear residency, California certification, and things like that give me no shot? Move out there, work somewhere(flipping burgers or something) and attend one of their academies to get certified?

MembersZone Subscriber

Best bet is to get your NREMT-P and get experience as a per diem/reserved/volunteer FF in florida. I know for San Diego among many others require you to have EMT-1(NREMT-B) even before you apply.

Forum Member

I have EMT Basic and volunteer experience(3 years) and actual job experience(1 year), among many other certificates. I didn't know how to go about getting on out there.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Lafd

I talked two 2 sources: 1. A LAFD recruiter and 2. An Human Resource Type in Personnel. The CAPT is accepted if it was givin by an IAFF recognized department---Fairfax Co. is a go, I was going to take it there a while back but got hung up with other stuff, but the option is still open. They also give a HUGE preference for Paramedics and bi-lingual types. My question is, if you are givin the Paramendic preference in hiring and are already certified, how do they work you, as Medic or as a FF/Medic that rotates within his/her station every shift, "tour" every other month, every six months, etc.. I have no problem with EMS, but out of curiosity would like to know... Good Luck to all.

---Florida guy---try the Florida State Fire College for the CPAT,they should have something for the CPAT.
    Last edited by cb1776; 01-29-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Forum Member

As stated above. If the CPAT agencies is recognized and apart of the IAFF Joint Training Program. The CPAT valid card you get will be good. In California there are two testing sites year round. One in Northern California (Dublin) and one in Southern California (Orange). It's $150 to test. Your card is good for one year.
    As for quals go. All paid dept. here reqiure you to either be EMT or Medic to qualify for the application process ( California recognizes National now). That would be bare minimum. Most require California FF 1 Cert (A lot of Jr. Colleges here have fire science programs and run a fire academy for FF1 and other certs). Most bigger cities run their own Academy and don't require FF1. You will get that plus a boat load of other certs through their academy. As far as out of staters applying. California does not recognize any other state certs or IFSAC certs. It would be up to the dept. if they will recognize your out of state training.
    To answer your question about residency. Some dept. require residency, but alot don't. It will be in the announcement. There is also no age limit in California. As it would be discrimination. I see alot of other states have a cut off on age. Just a minimum of 18 years old to apply.
    Last edited by engineer2000; 01-29-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Forum Member

engineer- Not counting my state certs, what would be the best way to do it, move out there and work somewhere, go to a college out there and get FF1 and put applications in, or just shoot for a big city department?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Mattc05,

Not to dash your hopes or anyone else about California, but I just moved from there because of the HUGE odds against you. I have a buddy that works for LA County fire as a heavy equip. driver. He has worked for them for years, has the military extra points, scored high on his test and still cant get in. I moved to AZ almost a year ago, got settled and I am going to start the academy this Saturday. If everthing goes right, I should be on an engine by June. Hopefully. Like I said, Im not trying to dash anyones hopes but I think its best to get on a smaller dept first than dropping everything, moving to Cali and going for the bigger depts.

Just my .02, good luck to you

Hawg

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg4248 View Post
    Hey Mattc05,

Not to dash your hopes or anyone else about California, but I just moved from there because of the HUGE odds against you. I have a buddy that works for LA County fire as a heavy equip. driver. He has worked for them for years, has the military extra points, scored high on his test and still cant get in. I moved to AZ almost a year ago, got settled and I am going to start the academy this Saturday. If everthing goes right, I should be on an engine by June. Hopefully. Like I said, Im not trying to dash anyones hopes but I think its best to get on a smaller dept first than dropping everything, moving to Cali and going for the bigger depts.

Just my .02, good luck to you

Hawg
    la county and city, are.. verry competitive. even with NREMT-P. Thats why im shooting for Long Beach Fire, and SD fire. Not a regional/big city dept, but they're still class A depts.

Forum Member

mattc05 -

I would apply for California cities from where your at. You can always call Human Resources and find out if your out of state qualifications will count.
    You could move out here and register in a fire academy and get your FF1 plus a lot of other certs with the academy. That would be a big move and you may not like California when you get here. If you decide to apply in California, put in everywhere. Small or big dept. Competition is high out here.

Some Guy

[QUOTE][Thats why im shooting for Long Beach Fire, and SD fire. Not a regional/big city dept, but they're still class A depts./QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how could you not think those are big city departments? Long Beach is or if not close to being a bigger city then the largest city in NJ.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

For the record Long Beach Fire department is currently accepting applications (It closes tomorrow)
    http://www.ci.long-beach.ca.us/fire/...er/default.asp

Most of your large departments, LA City, LA County, San Diego, Long Beach require 18 y/o GED only. Of course the more you bring to the table, the more marketable you are.

I disagree with moving out of state to get a firefighter job with the intent of returning here to test. I would encourage anyone who wishes to get hired here to enroll in fire science courses, become physically fit, complete a basic fire academy, learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview and become involved in a reserve program.

Oddly enough this advice works anywhere, not just California

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=KyleWickman;764738]
    [Thats why im shooting for Long Beach Fire, and SD fire. Not a regional/big city dept, but they're still class A depts./QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how could you not think those are big city departments? Long Beach is or if not close to being a bigger city then the largest city in NJ.
    im not comparing it to a jersey city, as I was comparing Long Beach to LA city/county.

Forum Member

What about the smaller departments in CA? How's the competition with those? The more I think about it, you might need CA cert to work with a small department, so maybe I could move out there and work somewhere and go to an academy?

Forum Member

Lots of FDs in CA have lateral entry programs. Most require an NREMTP card and 2-3 years full time experience. You'll likely find yourself be competing against 20 guys for 10 jobs, so the odds are much better than the regular recruit test (of course, it varies with the agency). San Fransisco, Oakland, Sacramento and lots of other agencies take laterals from time to time. Most of these places hire people from other states, and do no require a CA ff cert (you'll get that in the academy anyway).

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool LAFD and some advice

I have an Uncle, 2 cousins and numerous friends that currently work for LAFD. They all love it. Very large Department, easy to get lost in...... My Uncle has told me how he'll work O.T. at a Station with a crew and met somebody new to him and ask how long he/she has been there and the usually is around 5-10 years...... As far as smaller Departments go, they can be less competitive but most will usually have higher qualifications. I know mine does.

My advice, test...... Let them tell you "no." We also have some Volunteer Departments here and that may be another option.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information