Thread: Man Law

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking Man Law

Even though I don't drink much in the way of Miller products - enjoy the occasional MGD, I always thought the ads were good for a chuckle or two.

Miller Brewing Shelves 'Man Laws' Ads

POSTED: 8:05 pm EST January 23, 2007

MILWAUKEE -- Men wanting to know if it's OK to iron jeans or hug their friends will have to wait for answers. Miller Brewing Co. has put its popular "Man Laws" ads on hold while it goes back to comparing Miller Lite to competitors' beer in a new spot.

As popular as the ads with Burt Reynolds and sports figures have been, they fell victim to the first rule of advertising: They didn't sufficiently boost sales of Miller's flagship product in the still-expanding light beer category to justify extending the campaign.

"The competition has intensified within the segment so we've made a decision to transition to point out how and why Miller is different from the others," said Pete Marino, spokesman for the Milwaukee-based brewer. Nearly half of Miller's sales come from Miller Lite.

Sales of Miller Lite have lagged in the past year while the light beer segment, which now accounts for more than half of all beer sales, continues to grow, according to Eric Shepard, executive editor of trade publication Beer Marketer's Insights.

Miller's parent company, London-based SABMiller PLC, said last week Miller Lite sales rose 1.5 percent in last year's fourth quarter after declining slightly earlier in the year.

At the same time, rivals Bud Light and Coors Light gained share, Shepard said. The light category also was abuzz last year with the introduction of Heineken Premium Light and continued growth of imports like Corona Light, he said.

Miller's new ad aired nationwide Sunday during the NFC Championship game featuring the Chicago Bears and the New Orleans Saints. Both the new ad and the Man Law series were created by the Crispin, Porter & Bogusky advertising firm of Miami.

The spot takes a comical tone as it explains how Miller Lite differs from other light beers, even just by spelling its name "Lite" rather than "Light."

A man says he "just heard about GHT myself" and then prevents a fellow drinker from imbibing a nondescript light beer, spelled with "GHT."

"Before you drink a light beer," the man says, "please check the label. If you see GHT, you're not getting Miller L-I-T-E."

The top selling light beer in the U.S., which is also the nation's top selling beer overall, is Bud Light, made by Anheuser-Busch Cos. The other major light beer is Molson Coors Co.'s Coors Light. Both contain the "GHT."

Anheuser-Busch has no plans to change its "Always Worth It" campaign that uses humor to show the brand's popularity, said Bob Lachky, the company's executive vice president of global industry development.

"The campaign features beer drinkers going to great lengths to get an ice cold Bud Light and emphasizes the beer's refreshing, smooth characteristics that have made it the world's best-selling beer," Lachky said in a statement.

Miller's new ads will air through at least the middle of April. Marino said it's not clear if the company will continue with the "GHT" ads after that or develop a new series.

"Man Laws," meanwhile, could return at the start of football season later this year, he said. The popular ads started last spring and featured former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson and former Pittsburgh Steeler Jerome Bettis debating with Burt Reynolds and others about what a man is and is not allowed to do. Leaving early from a sporting event? Not allowed. Dating a best friend's hot ex-girlfriend? Allowed after a six-month waiting period.

The series has proved popular with Miller fans and even prompted a Web site, www.manlaws.com where more than 100,000 proposed Man Laws have been submitted to a Manlawpedia. Man laws forbid the ironing of jeans and allowing hugging of friends with only one hand, not two.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I can't stand most Miller products, but they do have some good commercials....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

IACOJ BOD

Drink real BEER, be a bloke.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Miller Lite is beer flavored water...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Where's Jimmy Buffet; its' Margarita time. After today I might need a Jack straight up on the rocks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Miller Lite is beer flavored water...
    I would'nt even go that far...looks and tastes like p****
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Coming from Wisconsin, I should defend Miller Lite but I can't. It's a headache in every bottle, can't stand the stuff.

Now give me a Miller Genuine Draft or Draft Light and we'll talk...
    (or Captain Morgan and Coke, Got a little Captain in ya??)
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

ANY lite beer is like sex in a canoe... both are *ucking near water!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Be it proposed as a Manlaw,to wit:If you can't get a broken bone at it,it ain't a sport but a game.

Forum Member

Firewater - gets the job done every time.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

Thread Information