Forum Member

Default information please

hello im looking to get started in firefighting. could anyone help with some information in any classes i could take to get started with my career i live near columbia tn and im 20 years old will be turning 21 in march of this year i currently work at an new car automotive toyota dealer as a technician any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Rocky

Forum Member

Get you EMT-B or EMT-IV whichever they have down there. See if you could start volunteering somewhere and maybe they will give you Fire-1 training for free. Start looking around for towns throwing out tests and take them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Columbia State has an excellent EMT program. Contact Maury Rural Fire, they are the volunteer department that covers the county. MRF would be a good place to start getting some of the basic state classes done.

Forum Member

Columbia and Spring Hill both require EMT-IV too be hired. Columbia State has a good EMT program. But it's getting harder to get into. (For the right reasons) Maury Rural is always looking for good people. Just watch out some of their stations just about require the rookies to live there. But they're all great guys. Just don't go to Duck River Fire and Rescue...
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by redneckemt View Post
    Just don't go to Duck River Fire and Rescue...

Sorry to hijack here, but I remember some scuttlebut about Duck River from a while back. What's up with them? PM me if you're so inclined.

rblad - joining a vollie department seems to be the most common way to start a fire career outside of the big cities, but it's not the only one. Keep tabs on the major cities' websites for hiring info (Memphis is taking applications now, for example). EMT or Paramedic training is a good idea.

If you're interested in a career department, understand that "volunteer time" may not hold much weight in the hiring process, and it will hold zero weight with the company you are assigned to until you prove yourself on the job. What you learn as a volunteer, including any certifications you earn, will be invaluable in other ways as long as you remember that it's WHAT you know that's important, not the paper you get for attending a class or two. . .
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Default chattanooga hireing

Hey all just wanted to say hi and let you know that chattanooga is doing some heavy hireing for a while. If you have your EMT FF1 FF2 you will get looked at hard. Also a degree helps alot but if no degree no worries you'll get on the list. Just remember the more you have the more you get looked at. Well good luck and don't give up.

Thumbs up I got your answers.

If you live near columbia and are really looking into getting into the fire service, Maury County Rural Fire is taking applications right now for the fire department. Just let me know if you are interested!?!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF23 View Post
    If you live near columbia and are really looking into getting into the fire service, Maury County Rural Fire is taking applications right now for the fire department. Just let me know if you are interested!?!
    hello yes i am very interested but i live in hohenwald will this be a big problem

Forum Member

Doesn't Lewis County have a Volly Dept.?
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default yes

yes but long waiting list

Thread Information