Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alert system

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alert system

I am in a bunk in program in NY, my house mate has an old fire alarm bell that we would like to hook up to a Digital pager. Any ideas how this can be done, or how we could possibly tap into the MDT or firehouse bell system? our house is about 30 feet away from the firehouse.

Be Alert, the world needs more Lerts.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffriesA420 View Post
    I am in a bunk in program in NY, my house mate has an old fire alarm bell that we would like to hook up to a Digital pager. Any ideas how this can be done, or how we could possibly tap into the MDT or firehouse bell system? our house is about 30 feet away from the firehouse.
    You want to hook it up to what?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Talking

In order to hook up your Whacker Alert 2000 I believe you will need a new flux capacitor which can be purchased at your local Radio Shack. Make sure you get the polarized thinga ma bob with the doo hickey adapter

If you had said you want to hook this up in your STATION, I wouldn't have known how to answer that seriously anyway. I'll leave that to nmfire. From what I've read before, he is the radio guru
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Talking

Your too kind Smokey. I would have had him wire it up to his testicles or his arse and plug it into a 220 outlet. That way he and his roomy would defintiley have not missed an alarm.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I think the WT needs to create a "shake-your-head" smiley.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Digital as in alpha-numeric?

Google "Pocsag Decoder" and engage in a modest learning experience about electronics. It'll bring you to sites like http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Sbarnes/pocsag/pocsag.html
    which let you decode the most commonly used paging system onto your computer.

You don't need to be guru, but it's not a project for the electronically faint of heart of solder challenged among us.

That and someone who knows C++ and maybe some more hardware you can get a 'puter to set off the alarm. Somebody whose really good on the electronics could probably implement it all hardware

If it's a voice pager and has an ear-phone plug, research "latching relay circuits" Many, many years ago built one of those for my Minitor II when I was sleeping through calls during college...triggered a very loud, battery powered Piezo. Which was at the end of 15' long wire hidden in odd spots in my room so I'd have to get up and find it to reset it.

=======
    The MDT is (hopefully) encrypted so you're not going to get that without official permission.

And if you have to ask how to tap the fire station's bell system...DON'T.
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 01-25-2007 at 02:51 PM.

With 15 feet of wire, just follow LVWrench's suggestion.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

what type of pager?

what type of bell?

If you are really intrested, I could help you. Just give me a little more info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey View Post
    In order to hook up your Whacker Alert 2000 I believe you will need a new flux capacitor which can be purchased at your local Radio Shack. Make sure you get the polarized thinga ma bob with the doo hickey adapter

If you had said you want to hook this up in your STATION, I wouldn't have known how to answer that seriously anyway. I'll leave that to nmfire. From what I've read before, he is the radio guru
    Didn't you read the man's post?There is NOTHING I know about hooking up pagers to bells but I can tell you he needs a digital disgronificator to make the connection because the bell is probably hooked up to a pre 1990's system.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Why not just turn the pager up louder?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Tapping into the firehouse's alert system is a guarantee of three hots and a cot.. in the county jail.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Perfect the Buffy (wacker) Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance personnel.

Found on ebay.
    Ebay Item number: 270088752939
    Motorola Minitor Pager Alerting Module Fire Alarm Bell
    Perfect for the firehouse, or Buffy Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance personnel.
    Problems waking up for those night calls? Can't hear the pager over the loud music or TV?
    Can't hear the pager go off because someone turned it down, or because you are in another room? Hook this "Alerting Module" up to your pager and your problems are solved. The "Alerting Module" provides reliable audiable warning that can be heard from a distance.
    This new aftermarket "Alerting Module" connects to any Motorola Minitor II, III, IV, or V amplified pager charger with the 6 pin "DIN" accessory connector on the back (Circular connector see pic below).
    When pager is alerted, the "Alerting Module" powers up the 6" Fire Alarm Bell for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds. (you adjust time) After the "Alerting Module" times out, it will automatically reset and will be ready for the next alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey View Post

Dont forget the rubber chicken, duct tape, and 37 paper clips!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rfdlou View Post
    Found on ebay.
    Ebay Item number: 270088752939
    Motorola Minitor Pager Alerting Module Fire Alarm Bell
    Perfect for the firehouse, or Buffy Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance personnel.
    Problems waking up for those night calls? Can't hear the pager over the loud music or TV?
    Can't hear the pager go off because someone turned it down, or because you are in another room? Hook this "Alerting Module" up to your pager and your problems are solved. The "Alerting Module" provides reliable audiable warning that can be heard from a distance.
    This new aftermarket "Alerting Module" connects to any Motorola Minitor II, III, IV, or V amplified pager charger with the 6 pin "DIN" accessory connector on the back (Circular connector see pic below).
    When pager is alerted, the "Alerting Module" powers up the 6" Fire Alarm Bell for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds. (you adjust time) After the "Alerting Module" times out, it will automatically reset and will be ready for the next alarm.
    I'm also curious about doing this, but I'm not really willing to spend the $180 on the modules found on eBay. Has anyone purchased one of these modules and are willing to spill their guts on what's inside of the black box? I've tried searching the internet to see if anyone has disclosed how exactly to make these, but being fairly good with electronics (using 'fairly' very loosely), the contents of that box can't be *that* pricey.

Wink

LOL

Why not ask the dept for a pager and amp and hook it up in your house, bedroom and let them thing wake you up when the alarms goes off.

Go ahead and tap in into the MDT or FRAP at the station. This should get you a few years in a federal pen. There you can study electronics and when you are let out you can go into business and make all of the whacker things and sell them to the whachers. Maybe you are Alex Yates in drag!! Check with him, I bet he knows all the answers as he seems to be an authority of everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Tapping into the firehouse's alert system is a guarantee of three hots and a cot.. in the county jail.
    This is correct.

I strongly urge you to reconsider if you do not want to be some bad man's boyfriend in prison. This is called "interference with first responders", a class C Felony from the Department of Homeland Security.

Do what you wish, but if you do, don't plan on getting much sleep in prison. You'll have to sleep on your stomach all night!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I strongly urge you to reconsider if you do not want to be some bad man's boyfriend in prison. This is called "interference with first responders", a class C Felony from the Department of Homeland Security.
    How is it interference? Is it going to suck the energy out of the fire stations alerting system and prevent firefighters from hearing the call?

In order to be interference, it must actually interfere with normal operations of personel or equipment.

I have a setup in which I use a touch activated lamp, a $10 lightning ball (those little glass things you touch and the lightning follows your finger) and a PRO-94 scanner from Radio Shack. The lightning ball (no idea the real name of it) has a setting in which it can be activated by vibrations. By putting my scanner near the lightning ball, I can keep the volume low enough not to wake the rest of the house but the FD tones are just the right pitch to activate the little lightning ball for about half a second. When that comes on it draws current, which somehow trips the touch sensor in my lamp causing it to turn on. Basically the light comes on when the tones go out waking me up just long enough to decide if it is worth listening to or going back to bed.

But I guess that means I am interfering with a public safety agency now doesnt it? I manage to obstruct the laying of a 5 inch supply line at a house fire with people trapped, merely by lying in bed being aware of the call. Guess I'll have to get rid of this setup.

*EDIT*
    Oops just realized he asked about tapping into MDT's....yeah...that's about as smart as sticking your dick in an electrical outlet.
    Last edited by DFW333; 02-28-2007 at 09:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Depending on what kind of pager you have, this could be very easy. Most of the chargers for the Minitor pagers have pinouts you can use to drive external devices. Read more here.

The pinout of the connector on the bottom of the Minitor II is as follows. The contacts are numbered with #1 being closest to the battery.

1) Charge input. It is connected to '+' battery tip through a 47 ohm resistor
    2) Ground
    3) 50 ohm antenna input
    4) Audio disable. When this contact is grounded the internal audio amp is muted, used for charger amp application
    5) Audio out. This is not speaker level audio, it is used as audio feed to charger amp. Normally at 0 volts ac / 0 volts dc, switches to .7 volts p-p ac/ .7 volts dc when pager is active. This output is not affected by the volume control and is not active during pagers power up or alert beeps. Not affected by 'audio disable' contact.
    6) Alert out. This contact switches 'high' ( 2.5 volts dc ) when the pager is alerting. Stays high as long as pager is beeping. Does not switch high on power up beep. Used for charger "alert" lamp.
    You want your bell to ring when Pin #6 is driven high.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Ummmmmm sure sounds like a whacker to me. Let's see if the old whacker award to good for this guy.

If they wanted him to receive the calls then they would provide him with the necessary equipment to do so. Until then, wait for it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information