Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Removal

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
    Although the excuse isn't as good with plastic tanks and mostly filling from hydrants...

In the days of rusty steel tanks and always drafting to re-fill the trucks...

Trust us, you don't want us to fill your pool. When the water clears up after a couple weeks of filtering...the liner will still be stained.

God that water was nasty...
    not too many people ask us to fill there pool's for them we leave that to the professional water haulers, besides I don't think they want our water since usually sewer water look's and smells better than the first loads we usually dump at a scene since it come's from lakes here as we have no hydrants around!

as for pumping out basement's we usually don't have to do it as I believe all the house's or a good majority of them all have sump pump's in there basements around here to take care of the water in the basement's, but if it's too much water as in a case of a flood then we will help them out and get as much water out as we can with portable pumps.

Forum Member

Default Perfect Storm

During the 1991 Halloween Nor’easter, also known as the Perfect Storm. We turned off utilites & pumped basements for two days. We set up a command post at our firehouse & handled all pump out calls from there to leave 911 for “real calls’. The water depth had to be a minimum of 6 inches before we would respond. I still chuckle when I think about one of our officers trying to explain this policy to a caller who insists we come out. He just kept repeating, “ I need six inches” over & over.

We assist with water leaks. We get quite a few from sprinklers in hi-rises. We dont have basements, but have pumped out elevator pits in the past.

As for pools, we do not fill them for people. I dont know about other places, but here water costs $$$. Im all about good PR, but why should someone get 15000+ worth of free water from a hydrant?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    As for pools, we do not fill them for people. I dont know about other places, but here water costs $$$. Im all about good PR, but why should someone get 15000+ worth of free water from a hydrant?

Ditto........ We used to, but we got our baseballs smacked by the Water Department. Someone does have to pay for that water and all of the treatment it goes through....... If they need hose, we may give them a couple lengths of the old stuff to hook to the meter that they get from the water department..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Question Who you gonna call?

Call the NY Fire Patrol...oh, that's right, they were disbanned. All kidding aside, I was a former patrolman. If you don't have a dedicated co. or apparatus setup or assigned for those duties, I think the water dept. should be handing the situation unless the water "condition" is causing other problems ie. structural collapse, getting into electical panels/vaults etc. We actually fill sand bags during bigger storms and take them personally to the scene to assist the public and prevent further water damage. To me, that's going too far. We'll help you with the initial problem, but once an emergency is not longer apparent or the need for emergency responses, call the water dept., Serv-Pro or whomever. Geez, do I sound like an ex Fire patrolman or one who use to dance with the water god (not the devil, well, not that often) on a regular basis? I should think not. Just kidding brothers. I wish I could help you with an SOP. I think water problem SOP's are in short order and should be taken more seriously. To think career salvage dept's were setup during the last century, you'd think they'd place a bigger emphasis on this type of call...

Thread Information