MembersZone Subscriber

Question Millenia Outer Shells

My fire department is getting new turnout gear and we are researching the different fabrics available. We are an all volunteer department and answer about 160-170 calls per year. We are looking for something very durable because this gear must last us many years. I am curious as to what people's experience has been with Millenia as an outer shell fabric. Any information will be very helpful, thank you.

IACOJ BOD

Kiwi walks in circles about people what can't get at LEAST a state wide standard and mutters.

Use the F'ing Google search to look at FACTS. Search out who, how many, what departments use it.

Nothing personal to you or your department.

WHAT THE HELL IS STOPPING YOU PEOPLE GETTING STANDARDISED ON EQUIPMENT AS BASIC AS PPE.

PS. Do NOT throw NFPA at me, paying for shyte that you should be getting for nothing does not cut the mustard here.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Kiwi walks in circles about people what can't get at LEAST a state wide standard and mutters.

Use the F'ing Google search to look at FACTS. Search out who, how many, what departments use it.

Nothing personal to you or your department.

WHAT THE HELL IS STOPPING YOU PEOPLE GETTING STANDARDISED ON EQUIPMENT AS BASIC AS PPE.

PS. Do NOT throw NFPA at me, paying for shyte that you should be getting for nothing does not cut the mustard here.
    So all department should have the same gear? FDNY should have the same fabrics as a small volly dept that runs 20 times per year?

That makes no sense Bro'.

Forum Member

Hehe,You should thank us Kiwi,your walking in circles is EXCERCISE,which is recommended under NFPA professional qualifications.The problem with you folk that stand on your head is you think everything should be standardised.What's the sport in that? Removes conflict,opinions and all the neat stuff that makes life interesting. Sheesh! KD,I've been in Millenia for five years,and our Dept in it for three.Outside of a little initial stiffness,we have been well pleased with the durability and performance. It takes a lot of abuse and holds up well. Not that it matters but ours is Globe GX7,Caldura SL,and Crosstech. If you need further you can PM me. T.C.

Forum Member

Brother Kiwi...
    The gear has to meet the NFPA 1971 amd 1994 standards for personal protective clothing.

There are many materials... Nomex. Millenia, PBI. P84, Basofil and blends of these materials.

Most of the materials have been developed by the same companies.. Dupont, BASF, etc. and are woven by the same company..Southern Mills.

Unike New Zealand with basically a nationalized fire service, fire protection here in the states can be either vlounteer, paid call ( retained in UK jargon), and career.

Jurisdictions can range from a village coverng less than a square mile to large cities, or even cn entire county.

Some communities support their FD's and adequately fund them. They have good PPE and good equipment.

Some don't giive a fat rat's rum about their FD's, they micromanage and nickle and dime them to death. They have rigs held together by baling wire and bubble gum and their gear is **** poor.

kd5smn Try the gear on...ask the saleperson for other communities he/she hads sold similar gear to, then call them and ask them how they like it.

Make sure it is maintained, washed regularly to prevent contaminant buildup, and store it out of direct sunlight.

The average life for a set of tuenout gear is anywhere between 5 to 10 years, depending on how many times it is used. I have just gotten my 5th set in 26 years (with a new color due to promotion.)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

And what color might that be? Please don't tell me white.Up here, the only way to tell the Brass from the Bulls is by the color of your helmet.I have both colors in stock(black and white N6) so if I want to travel incognito I can put my black one on.Really messes with the boss when he knows I'm on scene and I've "blended in".Only way around here you can get any "play"time.Oh,it works good when you sneak up on the crew and they're grousing about the "white hats"(bosses).Life's too short not to have a little fun,T.C.

Forum Member

Delete duplicate post
    Last edited by Rescue101; 01-26-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    And what color might that be? Please don't tell me white.Up here, the only way to tell the Brass from the Bulls is by the color of your helmet.I have both colors in stock(black and white N6) so if I want to travel incognito I can put my black one on.Really messes with the boss when he knows I'm on scene and I've "blended in".Only way around here you can get any "play"time.Oh,it works good when you sneak up on the crew and they're grousing about the "white hats"(bosses).Life's too short not to have a little fun,T.C.
    Okay Tim.. I won't tell you they are (gasp!) white.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Okay Tim.. I won't tell you they are (gasp!) white... actually, they are more of an off white...

They just came in the other day... They are still int he box.. the D/C in charge of equipemnt has to record the numbers for PPE tracking... so I won't get them until Monday
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

City folk! Actually I knew they would be,but if you think I'm going to pass up an opportunity like that one;Well,Sain't happenin'.We play mix and match some around here but TC and White(helmets excepted)don't play well together so Tan it will be.I'm issuing the troops new gear out as we speak,so I know where you're coming from on tracking.Be safe my brother at least you'll be easier to find.hehe T.C.

Forum Member

yeppers... white lids and gear are "targets".... doncha know....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

We've had Millenia for 4-5 years now. I cannot say it loud enough...MAKE SURE YOUR SALESPERSON KNOWS HOW TO MEASURE GEAR

When a bunch of us got our new gear we could barely move in it. I don't think that we were measured correctly. I couldn't touch my toes or even get close and I don't have a spare tire Our gear is Globe GX7. After having it professionally cleaned, it was much easier to use. Our assistant chief just got Millenia in the Globe G-Xtreme cut (no high back) and he loves it. I would seriously consider that model.

Don't hesitate to try the Millenia in a field test between Globe, Morning Pride, etc. Any good saleperson should work with you on making sure you make a decision based on safety, comfort, durability, and cost.

Good luck.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

We love our millenia gear. We are a small rural fire dept and recieved a Fire Act grant for all new gear and we chose the millenia outer shell. It's got about the hightest flame resistance in the industry ( sorry forget the tech. term for it). Seems to hold up well. Yes alittle stuff in the beginning but wash them once or twice will solve that problem. Our old gear was nomex which didn;t wear well at all. Again can't say enough good things about millenia we love it!!!!!!

Thread Information