Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Domestic Violence and the Fire Department

For some time, until my village police chief here in Perry got sacked, I had been working with him on ideas for combatting the growing problem of domestic violence here in my community. Why should a Fire Department be concerned about this serious and potentially life threatening issue. For one thing, when police answer the call, the atmosphere is highly volitile and the potential for use of fire as a weapon by one party to exert control over the other is a very real one just as gunplay is. Not only that, there is the possibility that some FD members could be having problems at home that have the potential of exploding into not only a police call, but a multiple alarm fire call as well. Moreover a firefighter whose home life is falling apart has the potential of adversely affecting the morale and work of the company he is assigned to. Not only that, but the actions of a firefighter affected by a deteriorating home situation has the potential of wiping out an entire engine or truck company as the result of a firefighting mishap or mistake that gets them all killed in the line of duty. So if anyone thinks that domestic violence is just a police problem, I strongly suggest that they think again, for it is also a matter that each and every fire department should be concerned about as well, in otherwords, domestic violence is EVERYBODY'S PROBLEM. The Farrah Faucett movie, THE BURNING BED is based on a true story and I strongly reccommend it to FDs in NY State since the use of fire as a weapon is very real, and not just for the garden variety arson jobs either. One fire death stemming from domestic violence is one too many.

Forum Member

If you were a woman I'd beat your *** for that post, now go on a cook me a nice dinner while I fetch another beer.

Forum Member

Default You Take it Lightly

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c View Post
    If you were a woman I'd beat your *** for that post, now go on a cook me a nice dinner while I fetch another beer.
    The whole idea behind the post is to SAVE lives just as a firefighter does when performing a rescue but doing so in another way. Not everyone is cutout to do rescue work. Domestic Violence is EVERYBODY'S problem, not just that of the two combatants involved and the police department. What I was trying to get at was the potential for the Fire Department to be drawn into an incident, especially if the home of the combatants gets lit up. It is such neanderthal attitudes as yours that keeps the the situation going, just like gasoline fuels an arson fire. Either way, the result is the same, SOMEBODY GETS BURNED, beaten or both. It would be worth your time to visit the website of the Nicole Brown Charitable Foundation or some state group that keeps tabs on DV incidents. The education you get from such sites can better help you in your efforts to save lives, So please save your "beat your ***" thing for the arsonist who lights up the next house your department gets called to.

Forum Member

I'm sory Rumpranger: I must have misinterepreted your post. As a male, belive it or not I have been th victim of domestic violence. So please save yor chhesy posts for someone who gives a crap and go back to watching cartoons. How I loved that infamous bugs bunny cartoon whre he thought they were making rabbbit stew.

Thread Information