Thread: House Bill 401

Forum Member

Default House Bill 401

Would like to here discussion about this recently passed house bill requiring ce training and experation date to your fire card.
    Last edited by FIREWITHSC3; 01-26-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: missing word

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it makes sense. My thinking is why do you have to keep up on your EMS skills when we do it all the time ,and not fire which we do alot of ,but not as much as EMS. I'm shocked right now I can actually post something!!3rd time I've tried today. Anyways I know people will complain about it but it's just another part of doing what we do.
    Last edited by dday05; 01-26-2007 at 02:37 PM.

CFSI/CFSII/CFEI

Default CE's

I think it is a long time coming and it will not only be for FFs it will include Inspectors and Investigators. So those of us that wear multiple hats will be spending more time in the class room.

Forum Member

Default Im in

I think this a really good thing we all should be training anyways, you cant ever know enough about this job. It might help brings some departments up in training and know how. I belive it works out to about 1.5 hours a month is that really that big of a hump for people to make. Plus the chief can sign off on the training you do so you should be able to make something for everyone

Border Patrol

It only makes sense, the fire service is constantly changing. You can't rest on your laurels of the 36 hour class you took 10 years ago.

Is there a certain amount of hours in certain subjects like there is with EMS CE?
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

I don't think so, Moe. I think it's just hours of training. I heard it was like 13 for firefighter (doesn't matter if you have the Volunteer, FF-I or FF-II........

And then 10 hours for Inspector........

Not sure about anything else.......

And your Chief just basically has to sign off saying you received the training. I don't think there is going to be an actual "CE" type requirement like there is for EMS.

Part of the reason for this requirement, the way I understand it, is because Ohio has no way of knowing how many active firefighters there are in the state, without trying to contact each individual FD. You could have taken the old 36 hour class back in 1965 and then left the fire service in 1966 and still be considered a firefighter in OH.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

CFSI/CFSII/CFEI

Default I support 401

I just finished teaching a FF1T Class to a small town department and was amazed at some of the basic things (But Important) that some of my class had no clue about. It may have been lost to memory or never taught at all. Our Job is changing daily thru new technology and ideas. We as a profession must keep up with this information and keep a good grip on the basics and I think 401 will help. The Emergency does not care if you are a basic, FF1 or a FF2, we need to have the skills and knowlage to do the job and do it well and insure EVERYONE GOES HOME.

Thread Information