Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leather

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather

There are several people on our department that would like to be able to get leather fire boots but we are having a tough time persuading management because they say they are not as good as the rubber. We are trying to come up with arguments they are just as good if not better in some cases. We would also like to make arguments for leather lids vs the tactical tupperware that we currently have, that as I may point out I have cracked and had to get new on two occasions from a knee high drop! What would happen if that was something hitting my head! If you could please help me out with arguments or points we can use or uniform policies that your department has that would be great.

Forum Member

Default Try this...

Quote Originally Posted by FireResQ2382 View Post
    There are several people on our department that would like to be able to get leather fire boots but we are having a tough time persuading management because they say they are not as good as the rubber. We are trying to come up with arguments they are just as good if not better in some cases. We would also like to make arguments for leather lids vs the tactical tupperware that we currently have, that as I may point out I have cracked and had to get new on two occasions from a knee high drop! What would happen if that was something hitting my head! If you could please help me out with arguments or points we can use or uniform policies that your department has that would be great.
    We have been using the new airboss rubber cbrn boot for a while now. Best boot we have ever bought for our department. It is as comfortable as our old leather boots (warring pro's & lacrosse), but much cheaper... Plus they are haz mat and USAR certified. These boots will satisfy the ranks, and make management happy because of the price. We got a free wear test of the airboss boots, maybe you can to. Just go to their website and get in touch with them, or ask your local fire equipment dealer if they can set you up.

Good luck !

Forum Member

See if they will go for at least a partial reimbursement. My dept. allows us to buy our own leather boots, and they will reimburse us the cost of the rubber boots they supply, so they give us back like $100.00, which is not great, but better than nothing. No luck with helmet's though, municipalities will only give soo much, and they make you fight for every inch you gain..... good luck.

The traction on the leather boots is way better then the rubber boots. How about when your on the roof or something? And the leather boots are way more comfortable then rubber as well. I think I've been wearing leather boots for about 10 years and will never go back to the rubber boots, unless for a hazmat incident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the guys that want leather boots or helmet would be willing to buy them ourselves, we are given a pretty nice clothing allowance each year, so I guess spending city money outside the clothing allowance already given to us is not the issue.

I have been wearing the Pro Warrington 5000 for 4 years now. I WILL NEVER change to a different boot. They are the most comfortable I have ever worn. If you switch you will never wear another pair of rubber boots.
    I would tell them that the boots fit better and would help prevent accidents.
    Last edited by gatoremt; 01-26-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

Forum Member

If you live someplace cold its a double edged sword. The Vibram soles are great when its warm, but when it gets cold its like ice skates on those smooth tiled lobby's. It lasts forever, the vibram, but it is nothing like rubber. I get the warrington's at work. Its the only leather boot I wear, and it works, but then again the price is right. Those new Globe boots look pretty high tech.

Never thought about them in the cold. It is always warm here in FLA.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    If you live someplace cold its a double edged sword. The Vibram soles are great when its warm, but when it gets cold its like ice skates on those smooth tiled lobby's. It lasts forever, the vibram, but it is nothing like rubber. I get the warrington's at work. Its the only leather boot I wear, and it works, but then again the price is right. Those new Globe boots look pretty high tech.
    We liked the Pro's and wore them for a long time before we switched to airboss. Be very careful of the new globe's. We saw a video from you tube that showed the soles of the globe boots catching on fire !!!

Good luck.

Dday,here in the cold climes,our opinions differ.A majority of our personnel are in leather but as JI2 indicates,when COLD on ice or tile they ave VERY slick.Rubber boots excel in these conditions.Recent sole changes have inproved performance somewhat but one wants to be damned careful in the winter months lest you wind up looking like Bamby on ice.With NO thumper.I still prefer leather,just be very careful when the soles are very cold. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry wrong post
    Last edited by Fytnfire; 01-30-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information