Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Officer Firefighter In AF ?

I had a question to anyone with AF knowledge. I just finished collge about a year ago and I am now working for a Fire Department in IL. I have all my certs and a college degree. I am think about joining the Airforce as an Officer and would like to stay in the Firefighting field. Is this possible? I can't seem to find anything about Officer firefighter's and there MOS or jobs/duties. If anyone has any info on this any at all please respond. Thanks

Forum Member

I have been retired a long while from the AF and it is AFSC not MOS you need to look for. The last I knew the Fire side belonged under Civil Engineering. If you can find an AF recruiter in the area he/she should be able to guide you and possibly a web search as I think most of the services are now web based.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AF Officer Firefighter, No such thing

Iím a retired USAF SNCO. There are no commissioned officer firefighters in the USAF. About the closest you can be is a civil engineering officer, the base civil engineer is recognized as the base fire marshal.

If you are interested in saving lives consider applying for a commission as a Combat Rescue Officer. Information can be located at www.specialtactics.com/crocriteria.shtml.
    This site will give you the overview of the career field, training and physical requirements.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Civil engineer is recognized as the base fire marshal

As the Base Fire Marshall how much do i actually deal with the Fire aspect of the job? Is there any Information on this Job, or a number I could call for information?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BEarl00 View Post
    As the Base Fire Marshall how much do i actually deal with the Fire aspect of the job? Is there any Information on this Job, or a number I could call for information?

that is the commander of CE, dont plan on doing that for a long time into your AF life.. at least a Major.. if u wanna be a firefighter in the AF, bite the bullet and go enlisted.. cause you will not be a firefighter as a officer, even the "Fire Marshall" is not a firefighter, they go to some course for a few weeks and wear our badge on the uniform... but they dont get involved with our calls, I have actually been on a few fire where the commander tries to get involved and he is told to leave.. quite funny.. if u want to be a officer, then just be a jolly volley off base...

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
    that is the commander of CE, dont plan on doing that for a long time into your AF life.. at least a Major.. if u wanna be a firefighter in the AF, bite the bullet and go enlisted...
    Best reply yet... Fire Marshall has NOTHING to do with the Fire Department! Our commander wheres a badge and I have never seen our commander on anything. Volly would be good to get a couple of certs, but use your degree, get more money and be an officer, AF firefighting is just getting certs not fighting fires... But I can mop like no other!

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HEDQUIZZY View Post
    Best reply yet... Fire Marshall has NOTHING to do with the Fire Department! Our commander wheres a badge and I have never seen our commander on anything. Volly would be good to get a couple of certs, but use your degree, get more money and be an officer, AF firefighting is just getting certs not fighting fires... But I can mop like no other!
    ...or if issuing LOR's and 15's to firefighter's is your jolly, BCE would be the way to go... plus you have like, what, a million bugles on your badge?

The BCE (Base Civil Engineer) takes a 2 weeks ICS course at Goodfellow. Tho only time a "Fire Marshall" is supposed to get involved is during wartime operations when he is the liason between the DCG (Damage Control Center) and the SRC (Survival Recovery Center). Pretty much the middle man between the Fire Chief and the Wing King.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathbyFire View Post
    You stupid dumb**** mother****er, there are no officers in the AFFD. The only one is the CE commander, and if you want to sit on your *** all day and take credit for the work that real firefighter then you are in. But since you appear to be interested in being an officer it's obvious you don't plan on doing any real work anyway. I hope you don't get any paper cuts ****head!
    ...WOW. Harsh.

Thread Information