MembersZone Subscriber

Default ...................

Last edited by Ron3427; 05-02-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Forum Member

just remember, many of the guys who are on signal99 are also on firehouse.com
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

I was going to provide a link to my thread but signal99 makes you sign in so I figured I would spare this group the story.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3427 View Post
    Has anyone one here been sued for denying membership to an applicant and if so what were the conditions and the outcome? Thanks again guys
    More details would be necessary to give an opinion and it's just that an opinion from someone without a law degree.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by Ron3427; 01-26-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Forum Member

Nope.

There's very few people who will spend $10,000+ on the principle of the matter over a volunteer (or minimally compensated) fire department membership.

If you have a Equal Oppurtonity or some such violation with a career position, now you have something (a salary) you can use to assess damages on and for an attorney to earn a 1/3rd or so contigent fee on if he wins. Start taking a couple years of salary plus interest, that's not a bad kitty of money.

Maybe for a combination department were the volunteer side is sometimes or always a bridge to a paid position you have a stronger case.

I'm sure it could be done, and would be fascinated to hear the details of the case or potential case.

Because the plaintiff has to show the judge something -- financial damages, a nuisance to abate, violation of a specific statute -- that would over-ride the general principle of freedom of association.

Forum Member

Well,that was an interesting afternoon's read.

First of all, anyone who does hiring will (should?) not give a specific answer to why someone is not hired. "You simply weren't a good match for this position."

Because I went and visited the Signal99 site, and now that I've finished laughing my *** off:

The bottom line is this Ron:

If you had any case what so ever, as long as the department you're ****ed at keeps gives you the answer above...this case will never see the light of day.

You sue.
    Their attorney shows your attorney the transcript from Signal99.
    Your attorney looks at you and says, "Moron."
    And the case goes away without even so much as talk about settlement.

The dramatization if it went to court would be simple:
    "Mr Fire Chief, why did you reject the candidate?"
    "It was our impression he lacked maturity; lacked discretion; was likely to act with contempt to our officers; likely to deliberately disobey policies, procedures, and orders; and in general would not act in the best interest of our organization."
    "Well that's quite a strong belief? Do you have anything to corroborate such an opinion?"
    "Well your honor, here's a print out of a online discussion he had shortly after our decision in which he stated in various terms and at various times his contempt for our officers, our administration, our department; that he won't adapt to fit in; that he want's to provoke events to force change; doesn't care that he's aggravated people; and would prefer to be hated then abide by a process."
    "Summary judgement is entered in favor of the Defendant. Case dismissed."

In a nutshell Ron:
    Drop the idea of a lawsuit and grow up.

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Makes me want to register at signal99 just to see the rest of the story .... but seeing as I am not a NY area firefighter.... I can catch the general drift from Dal's closing argument here and be content with it.

IACOJ BOD

And get rid of the IACOJ tag as requested in my PM to you.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

you guys have no idea

Forum Member

Ron, take a look in a mirror next time you say those words.

Forum Member

The village called. They are looking for their idiot.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by Ron3427; 05-02-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Forum Member

In that case, this planet is doomed. I might as well go off myself now and get it over with before I have children that will have to put up with you too.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

can't get me down, i know i'm right. Small minds won't stop change, you'll all die off in good time. untill then, screw you.
    That's how to make friends. You stated you have a meeting with their Chief tomorrow. If I were you I'd bite my tongue at least until after that meeting took place. You should have a better idea of why they denied you, and probably make you look pretty foolish (more foolish?) in front of the membership of at least 2 forums, and an entire county in NY.

MembersZone Subscriber

can't get me down, i know i'm right. Small minds won't stop change, you'll all die off in good time. untill then, screw you.
    Whoa there hotshot. Don't ever forget that split second when you clicked "Submit", because that was when you guaranteed you won't ever work for any agency that can connect you with these discussions. You may as well pick up a change of address form and start packing your stuff because you're going to have to become anonymous and move somewhere where no one knows who you are, and start over from scratch. It doesn't even matter if you were right up that that point, those comments were a self-crucifixion. What little was left of your future there went poof.

I've known irritating whacker wanna-be pups who would have had enough sense to keep that comment to themselves.

And that's all I have to add to this discussion... not worth our time any more.

Forum Member

There is not way someone with your attitude would be accepted on my department. Not ever.

Your judgment is so incredibly bad that I would have serious doubts about placing anyone in a position where they needed to rely on you.

Your "look at me, I'm great" attitude is a strong indication that you will not be trainable, accepting of the authority of your officers, or willing to adapt to the standards of the organization.

And your stated position that you will serve as an agent to help the volunteer fire service "evolve" into all-career, is, besides being remarkably ignorant of the realities of small-town public finances, hardly likely to endear you to a volunteer department.

I recommend you take a decade or two to grow up before applying again.

Truckie

With 94 posts to date att, I think a department should be sued for hiring you...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

And you wonder why they don't want you?!

MembersZone Subscriber

I just wanted to make one thing clear, the user this thread is about IS NOT FROM OUR COUNTY!

My website doesn't care where you are from when registering an account, however the sites content is 99% Onondaga County, New York related.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

I thought i was bad. Goodluck on the forums man, i went throught my little mis-fits at first man. Approaching a situation like that, from other's intelligent opinions is just a no-no. Have a good life, Champ ; ) .

MembersZone Subscriber

Ronnie, you litigious fool; I have reported you for using IACOJ in your signature without permission.
    We are not "good ole boys" with computers. We really DO know our stuff.
    But based on this post, you are screwed until we die!
    Now that's funny, right there.
    Good luck suing to get on a department that doesn't want you.
    You're not much of a team player, are you?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie...
    thou dost forget that we do have an advantage...

You see, we already have "the badge".

We walk the walk and talk the talk...
    while you sit back and cry and squawk
    "nobody wants me, I'm getting porked
    by every FD in Central New York"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I'm a little fuzzy on the concept here, so maybe somebody can clear it up for me...

Why would anyone ever want to sue for the right to volunteer to risk their neck for free as part of an organization that clearly doesn't want them in the first place?

It makes me dizzy just thinking about it...

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know your situation due to lack of info on your part. But with an attitude like you've displayed here so far I can see why you don't belong to a fd. Your above comments are a joke!! And none of us are going to die off any time soon, so your chances of getting on a fd anytime would still be zero.

Thread Information