Forum Member

Default USMC Silent Drill Team

These guys are awesome, I had the chance to see them back in 90, a very impressive sight.

Click to see Video

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

That was quite something to see! Imagine the entire Drill is amazing.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

WOW!

Thanks!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

If you get a chance to visit Washington DC in the summer, this drill is performed at the Marine Barracks One and at the Marine Corps monument in the evenings.

Based on my experience several years ago, the "Sunset Parade" was at the barracks on Friday night. There is a dress code to attend this presentation. When I approaced the barracks, I thought there was a wedding nearby. Nope. It was people lining up to attend the drill.

Tuesday is the night for the drill at the USMC monument.

It truly is worth your time to see this in person.

After you see either one of these, go to Arlington National Cemetary and stand for the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Absolutely incredible.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Hook & Can

Was fortunate to attend one of the Sunset Parades at "Eighth and Eye" in the mid 80s. Absofrickin' amazing!!

As a side note...I'd love to see how their practice rifles look!

(BTW...the drill team shown in A Few Good Men is a college drill team portraying the Silent Drill Team. Found that out a couple of years after the movie came out. Just thought I'd share.)

Thanks for the vid link!

Forum Member

Another impressive display of honor, tradition and precision is the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nine3Probie View Post
    (BTW...the drill team shown in A Few Good Men is a college drill team portraying the Silent Drill Team. Found that out a couple of years after the movie came out. Just thought I'd share.)
    That's right. Freaking college sallies couldn't even get the white trousers to make actually look real.

The one time I have been to Arlington, I must have watched about 15 changings at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

I also had the opportunity to view (from afar) an Air Force funeral. Very impressive, and it was amazing to hear the rifles' report echoing across the graves of so many men and women more deserving of honor than most.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    That's right. Freaking college sallies couldn't even get the white trousers to make actually look real.
    The drill team in the movie is Texas A & M's Corp of Cadets. A unit with a proud tradition. Maybe not quite up to USMC standards, but it ain't no JROTC unit at the local HS either.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

This spring break I get the chance to return to DC with my ROTC's Pershing Rifles team for competition, our graders are from the 3rd Infantry Division Old Guard, the same men who guard the Tomb of the Unknowns. Should be an intrestering experience, cant wait to do it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The drill team in the movie is Texas A & M's Corp of Cadets. A unit with a proud tradition. Maybe not quite up to USMC standards, but it ain't no JROTC unit at the local HS either.
    And there is the point........They just don't quite make the grade SC. Then again I am flagrantly biased.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I watched them give a flawless performance in Albany, GA several years ago. I was with my NJROTC unit in high school. One of the coolest performances I have ever seen.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

you know.... when I take my M1 hunting... i get tired of lugging that thing around after ten minutes. Tossing it around in the air .....thats something. That SOB is heavy... but I still love it

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I was on my Unit drill team as a Cadet oooohh so long ago. We were good but not even close to THAT GOOD. And since I joined the Army and sailed with the Navy, my drill has... uuuummm suffered.... for lack of practice.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

One of my biggest dreams is to visit Arlington, the wife and I may try to visit this summer. To stand in a place like Arlington and watch the changing of the guard is something every American should do to put in perspective the sacrafice that so many have made. I would challenge any American to go to Arlington and watch the changing of the guard, look at the tombstones, read the names; and then watch some POS burn a flag or protest a soldiers funeral.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505 View Post
    and then watch some POS burn a flag or protest a soldiers funeral.
    What's sobering is the thought that those sacrifices were made in part to protect that POS's right to burn a flag or protest a soldier's funeral.

Freedom cuts both ways.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    you know.... when I take my M1 hunting... i get tired of lugging that thing around after ten minutes. Tossing it around in the air .....thats something. That SOB is heavy... but I still love it

I've got an M1A(M 14 clone) myself.Funny how much weight those things put on 20 years after you get out,ain't it?

That is one awesome sight seeing how precisely the Drill team time their movements.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    What's sobering is the thought that those sacrifices were made in part to protect that POS's right to burn a flag or protest a soldier's funeral.

Freedom cuts both ways.
    Yes,but with Freedom comes responsibility.Just because you have the Right to burn a flag doesn't mean that it's something you should do,especially around someone who might take offense at it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Yes,but with Freedom comes responsibility.Just because you have the Right to burn a flag doesn't mean that it's something you should do,especially around someone who might take offense at it.
    Somehow, I think that kinda falls into the "*itching about a unit or formation." Any of us who have military service in particular, but this loosely applies to the fire or police service too, will understand. You can *itch about your unit and your senior commanders all you like, we all understand that mostly there is nothing malilcious about it. HOWEVER when someone who has never served with that unit or formation starts to *itch about it, WATCH OUT cuz that guy is gonna get a whole ton of shyte come his way. Why is that? Because he never "earned the right" to *itch. Its not his unit, not his people. Even folks who truly hate the unit they are in or the officers they work with will defend against someone who hasn't "done his time".

Which brings me to my real response to Doug's post: Just because a Soldier fought and died for "You" to enjoy the rights and freedoms that he gave his life for, doesn't necessarily mean that you have earned the right or freedom to burn the flag. However, if you were a Soldier who did fight for those freedoms and yet you have a *itch with the Unit or Government, then in my books you have actually EARNED the right to make those grievances. At which time, while I still don't agree with it, you have also earned the right to burn your flag.

**not sure if any of that made sense.... I hope it did.

?Going to sit here and wait for the bomb to drop......
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

My hubby (Sgt Christopher L Batson, USMC Ret.) was always telling me how awesome the silent drill team was, and so one year for Christmas I finally got him a DVD of them. He was SOOO excited. I mean, the kind of excitement usually only a new hunting toy will give. And then I watched it with him....it was SOOOOOO cool. We're always checking around to see if they're gonna be in the area because he insists that it's ten times better in person and I can't imagine...I was absolutely mesmerized by the DVD
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Forum Member

Just dang cool.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Thread Information