MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Pump Training - Handline/nozzle rack

Hi people.
    I am looking for anyone who has pictures or details on a rack system that is used to secure a handline to in order to flow water during pump training. This rack set up enables a single pumper-operator to train on a pump while flowing water without having to have additional firefigthers hold the nozzle. I saw one in the past but did not take measurements or pictures. I want to get one made for our department and would like some feedback if anyone has any.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I know what you're talking about with the rack, but I can't say as I have any plans or drawings on one. However, as an alternative, do you have a pump testing pit handy? You can adapt down to whatever lines you wanted and still flow water out of those particular lines. Or even a portable monitor with multiple outlets? I know it's not quite like flowing each line with a particular nozzle, but it is flowing different lines at different pressures, nonetheless.

I've used a monitor and adapted it down, wyed it off, all kinds of things and simulated 4+ lines flowing off of it with pretty good success. To really get in some practice, I'll find a farmer who is willing to allow us to burn off some grass and aerate his pond and practice drafting while I'm at it.

If you really wanted a rack, I bet you could find a welder or fab shop around you that could come up with one from a description of what you're wanting to do and some measurements or the actual nozzles you want secured.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't able to reduce the size of the photos of our nozzle stand so I'll PM you the photos.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

MembersZone Subscriber

my old dept. used to have a setup I think you are trying to find, it was just a simple tripod, was made out of I believe a 1" bar about 4' long with a point that the one end to drive into the ground and then 2 3' pieces of square tubing mounted near the top to create the tripod, and a little bit down from the top was 2 hook's as I called them that you could mount the handles on our play pipe to. and at the top of it was a small dog collar that we could attach the tip to so it wouldn't fall down or move around. Worked really well I enclosed a pic of a play pipe similar to the one we used. Hope this has helped you out a little bit sorry if it sounds confusing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jsdobson View Post
    I wasn't able to reduce the size of the photos of our nozzle stand so I'll PM you the photos.
    Thanks
    What is the easiest way for you to PM me the photos and for me to view them? Sorry, I am new to this system.
    Marc

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Build a pump operator training simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Marc435 View Post
    This rack set up enables a single pumper-operator to train on a pump while flowing water without having to have additional firefigthers hold the nozzle.
    If you have a drop tank, look at page 12 of the October 2006 issue of Fire Engineering. It shows how to build a 'Pump Operator Simulator', a U shaped pipe out of schedule 40 PVC that allows you to attach your hoseline to the pipe and flow the water being pumped right back into the portable tank.

A few big advantages here: 1. Very low cost vs benefit 2. Easy to build 3. Entire pump training operation can be conducted with as few as two people 4. The water pumped is recycled so no worries about using a lot of city water (it's expensive in our town!).

We just built four of them from 1.5" PVC and I'm just waiting on the NPT to NHT couplings. The article says it has a pressure rating of 280 PSI, but the pipe we purchased said 330 PSI. Total cost was about $200 to build four of them, which allows us to conduct training with our pumper and two brush trucks simultaneously! Mail me direct if you need more info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have a couple portable monitors? Set them up and secure them.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Marc,

If you PM me with your address, I'll send you the pictures that way.

jsdobson
    BE SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    Do you have a couple portable monitors? Set them up and secure them.......
    Portable monitors are good, or what we often do is just screw a couple of 2.5" nozzles directly to the pump discharges....a 45 elbow helps to elevate the stream so that it falls a good distance from the truck.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Portable monitors are good, or what we often do is just screw a couple of 2.5" nozzles directly to the pump discharges....a 45 elbow helps to elevate the stream so that it falls a good distance from the truck.
    I do that if I am just flushing the system or running the pump form lack of use (Yeah, we have that issue sometimes) on my weekly inspections.

Its a good way to get wet but it does work.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    Its a good way to get wet but it does work.
    Not if you shoot off the opposite side...or the rear....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions fellows.
    I actually found out that our neighbor community fire department has exactly what I am looking for so along with the pictures I am going to get from jsdobson and visiting the fire department next door I will have a good idea how to make this thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Not if you shoot off the opposite side...or the rear....
    Yeah......I guess I forgot to mention I pick one nozzle to test while I run the pump. I don't put it on the passenger side (we don't have rear discharges on any of the engines) because I am too lazy to walk around and check the patterns so I do it from the panel side.

I've actually found nozzles with clogged patterns and bad aerators doing this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jsdobson View Post
    Marc,

If you PM me with your address, I'll send you the pictures that way.

jsdobson
    Got the pictures
    Thanks, they are great pics and it already gave me a few ideas for ours. Hopefully the plow won't hit ours though... thanks again and stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Marc,

You're welcome.

jsdobson
    BE SAFE

Thread Information