MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any New Jersey towns hiring?

Any towns in New Jersey, who don't utilize the Dept of Personnel test, hiring?

MembersZone Subscriber

You just missed Cherry Hills entrance test.
    Maplewood should have one in Fall of 07
    Montclair is due any time now
    Englewood i think had their's in the middle of last year

MembersZone Subscriber

Cherry Hill had a huge showing. and yes englewood did have theirs last year. The next application process for cherry hill is the summer of '08. So just be on a lookout then. They both do the chiefs tests, correct me if I am wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mysticff72 View Post
    Any towns in New Jersey, who don't utilize the Dept of Personnel test, hiring?
    What is the dept of personnel test?

Forum Member

basically, NJ likes to keep their jobs IN-State and IN-City.....from what i know, that tests helps them do so

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by 123fire View Post
    What is the dept of personnel test?
    Civil Service test...run by the state. Stricter rules for hiring (age, residency, etc) than if you were to apply to a specific department and take a Chief's test for that department only.

Or, that's my basic understanding. It may be oversimplified.

Forum Member

Pretty much the NJ career fire departments have 2 types of tests. One is the DOP (Department of Personnel) civil service exam, which is run by the state that several towns, cities, etc... use: IE: Newark, Jersey City, North Hudson Regional F&R, Camden, Atlantic City, Trenton, etc... The state pretty much admins the application process, the written test, and the physical test. The combined scores then ranks you on a list which is populated by the state not the location you are taking the test for (less law suits). When a city for example like Jersey City wants to hire 100 guys, they call the state and say for example: give me numbers 1-200 for people who live in Jersey City (residency requirement). The reason they ask for 200 people instead of 100 is lots get thrown off the list or donít take the job for various reasons. The trend in NJ is a 1:2 ratio it seems; they hire 1 person for every 2 on the list (that other person being thrown off). The OTHER form of testing in NJ is the infamous chiefs exam, this is run solely by the municipality (application, written, physical, interview, and score ranking) and has what appears to be ALOT of favoritism surrounding it becuase the interview process gives the town so much slack with who they want to hire IE: People who have family already with jobs in the town. Towns in NJ such as: Maplewood, City of Englewood, Cherry Hill use the chiefs exams.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very well said NVetro. You have to take into consideration that the majority of the north east is primarily volunteer too. So you're competing with the whole state for a handful of career depts. So you will see alot of guys who are interested in going paid, tend to move/go out of state, because of higher hiring chances. Of the few that are paid, its tough to get on because of residency(but there are ways to go around that if you have enough cash to pay for a cheap mailbox*) and politics/who you know. The only place in NJ that doesn't have residency are a couple(2? i think) depts in burlington county.

Some Guy

and has what appears to be ALOT of favoritism surrounding it becuase the interview process gives the town so much slack with who they want to hire IE: People who have family already with jobs in the town.
    What often appears to be true, can be the farthest from the truth.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I just know what I see with my own eyes, I don't listen to hear say. The above was said from personel expirences.

Thread Information