MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sleeping Through Calls

Hey all,
    I have become a live-in member of a fire department almost a year ago. I thought that I was a light sleeper, but damn, I am beginning to sleep through calls. Are there any tricks that anyone has to wake up for the tones?? Thanks for your help!

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Cattle prod tied into station alerting system. Probably won't happen again

For you crazy newbies, I was kidding. Do NOT try that at home
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

We used to have an electronic siren above the bunkroom door tied to the station alarm (we called it the "whooper"). There were some guys who could sleep through that, but I couldn't. I usually was roused by one of our first due box #'s coming in over the radio (which someone always left on). I wasn't the only one because you'd here a few feet hitting the floor before the tones even started (dispatch used to go: Box 12-6 ...).

MembersZone Subscriber

When our fire phone rings a bunch of bells go off in the station, and if you don't wake up from that then you have a problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by perrypower05 View Post
    I have become a live-in member of a fire department almost a year ago. I thought that I was a light sleeper, but damn, I am beginning to sleep through calls. Are there any tricks that anyone has to wake up for the tones?? Thanks for your help!
    To accurately answer this question, I need to know what you have right now. Are you just using a pager (voice or text) or is there some kind of station alert?

I'm a pretty deep sleeper. The pager alone will usually wake me up but sometimes I'll be in such as daze, i won't actually comprehend what is happening and just reset it and fall back asleep without even realizing it. In the morning, I will be asking "was there a call last night or something?"

Now, I have a base radio in my house that I programmed to operate just like the pager. It can be silent or on low volume, but when the tones go off the radio emits a VERY VERY loud alarm which can wake the dead 3 towns away. And if that fails, my phone starts beeping from the text message as well.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Your station should have an interface device that turns on the house lights and kicks up the volume of the speakers loud enough to awaken even the soundest sleeper.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-29-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Your station should have an interface device that turns on the house lights and kicks up the volume of the speakers loud enough to awaken even the soundest sleeper.

My old volunteer department has that system for the bunk rooms.I went back for a visit a couple weeks ago and a couple guys that spend a couple nights a week at the new station say it's hard to sleep through.
    For myself,I just left the pager turned up as high as it would go and the alert tones would wake me up like an alarm clock.The only times I ever missed a call while at home was usually because I'd turned the thing off because I was hoisting a few adult beverages and didn't want to incur the wrath that comes with responding drunk to a call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Yeah our bunkrooms have something a long the lines of that...

If you're that deep of a sleeper tell whoever you're bunking with to wake your *** up if the alarm dosen't work...

Forum Member

Default Pump up the volume

First, have your hearing tested to rule out deafness. Assuming your hearing is fine, try sleeping with the portable radio beside your ear. Failing that, you may want to move your bedding to the hose bed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    First, have your hearing tested to rule out deafness. Assuming your hearing is fine, try sleeping with the portable radio beside your ear. Failing that, you may want to move your bedding to the hose bed.
    How about right outside your officer's bunk so he'll wake you up by tripping over you as he gets up himself?
    Guaranteed to work before this post gets submitted.

Forum Member

People have tripped over me before without waking me up. I wouldn't count on that one.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

On occasion, when extremely tired, etc....I just let someone know to hit me and make sure Im on the rig when we get a run.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers are getting away from station alert systems that blast you out of bed. Now they are going to gradually increasing volume alert tones. Does anyone out there have a system like this?
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Hook & Can

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate...take your pick) to have my wife smack me repeatedly to either "get up and go or turn the damn thing off!" if I don't jump right up.

Forum Member

I sleep so deep that I have to sleep with the pager RIGHT NEXT to my ear with the volume all the way up. It's the only way I'll wake up for it.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nine3Probie View Post
    I'm fortunate (or unfortunate...take your pick) to have my wife smack me repeatedly to either "get up and go or turn the damn thing off!" if I don't jump right up.
    I didn't realize there are stations that allow conjugal visits ?

Forum Member

In our bunk room we have individual cubicles, and one of my guys kept sleeping through calls. So, we made him tie a piece of webbing around his ankle and throw the other end over the wall, to which we attached a sign "IN CASE OF FIRE PULL CORD". Worked like a charm.

Forum Member

Our system starts with all lights turning on with the tones. Alarm begins softly and gets mch louder, followed by dispatch. Works pretty well for most. Probies are made to sleep in the engine if they miss 2 calls, works great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers are getting away from station alert systems that blast you out of bed. Now they are going to gradually increasing volume alert tones. Does anyone out there have a system like this?
    Tacoma WA has this (or did several years ago). A medium-paced yelp alert sound starts out almost inaudible and works itself up to pretty darn loud in about five seconds or so. Sure is a nice way to not freak out and throw the popcorn when you're really into the movie and the claxon blares 3' over your head.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by LFD131 View Post
    In our bunk room we have individual cubicles, and one of my guys kept sleeping through calls. So, we made him tie a piece of webbing around his ankle and throw the other end over the wall, to which we attached a sign "IN CASE OF FIRE PULL CORD". Worked like a charm.
    HAHAHA I love that! Too f'n funny!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

If I don't wake to the alert tones at home, my wife's elbow in my ribs ususlly works!

Forum Member

I am assuming you are in the station. What I do is to sleep with a portable radio cranked up next to me. That always works.

Forum Member

Sat up in bed one night, wondering how I fell asleep with the lights on. Got up, saw the switch was off. I went back to bed, but thought I couldn't deal with the lights being on, so I went back and tried flipping the switch up and down. That didn't work so I went back to bed. About that time, the lights kicked off and I realized something had come in. It wasn't for the pumper, though.

MembersZone Subscriber

The station itself has tones, and the lights go on.... We do have bells at some parts of the station, however, not in the bunkroom.... The tones themselves are very soft, there are several fill-in guys who go to the station, and sleep through calls! Thank you everyone for their help!!

Forum Member

Just like the rule that size up starts at the receipt of the alarm, so should company integrity. All you crew members should be making sure you are getting up and dressed as they are when the alarm comes in. Very few of us have staffing levels that would cover leaving one member in the sack.
    I do remember leaving the buggy (ambulance) crew sound asleep one night. We came back, turned off the lights and speaker, and they never knew they had missed a run. And at that time, all the dispatching, response, and scene radio traffic came over the speaker they were sleeping under!

Thread Information