Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Radio Communications

Hey,

I am looking for feedback (good,bad,ideas etc..) on using a non-repeated FG channel on portables for ops, while a dispatch and another repeated ch. are available. The concern is first in companies may not be heard on this NR Ch. By the way our dispatch can't monitor this NR Ch. We have guys looking into NIOSH reports as well. I don't know if there is an existing forum for this. Thanks in advance

It is more likely that a portable won't reach a repeater that is far away from inside a building. That is why non repeated channels are so often used for fireground. The signal doesn't have to go any further than on-scene for it to work.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. I realize that it won't reach if it was repeated, my point is that it is not repeated and that the new directive states all portables go to NR ch. So a possible scenario is if a company is first due and are on NR ch there is a possibility of info not geting to the BC or incoming units Also the IC has to monitor a repeated ch and the ops channel. I feel they might miss some vital comms. I am just looking for any expierience good bad etc... that any might have had with a non repeated channel during initial ops...

Forum Member

Exclamation

Sorry,

I should have stated that I am in a career dept that runs approx 7900 runs 85% EMS. We have 2 Quints and 3 Eng and ALS fly car total Staffing of 16 per shift 5 houses 20 sq. miles. And we have people that like to talk yakkers ... ha ha ha...

Well, you are correct, there is more work for the IC. However, I'll take a second radio and some extra work if it means everyone will "HELP, I'M TRAPPED!"

The incoming units don't need to hear all the fireground traffic. The people on the fireground do.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

we use this type of system. It is real important that all units en-route to the incident know what fire ground channel the incident is working off. Using a non repeater enables one fireground channel to be used at more then one incident in the area.

Forum Member

One option, granted an expensive one, would be to use mobile apparatus mounted repeaters. Once on the scene they can be put into service with the flick of a switch. This way everybody can hear what they need to hear and safety is not compromised.

My department is on an 800mhz trunked system but with 1 channel that is simplex (no repeater, no trunking, radio to radio) for use when the interior crew can't hit the repeater. One issue we have is that this radio traffic doesn't make it back to the dispatch center, thus it is not recorded anywhere. This has not been an issue yet but may sometime in the future.

We have a vehicle mounted repeater in the budget for next year so this should elliminate the need for the simplex channel. BTW the repeater is going to cost $10,000 but that is for 800mhz trunked. I would guess a conventional repeater would be much less.

Just something to think about.

Thread Information