Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Are there any live in programs for the Raleigh area?

I need some advice guys--I've made the decision to leave my current department for a bussier one and I have made it to the interview process thus far. If I'm lucky enough to be selected for the position I will have one month to sell my house, buy a house and relocate my family to the Raleigh area, not nearly enough time. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

My wife is very supportive of me because she knows how much this means to me and we're willing to be separated for the 22 weeks that I would be gone for the academy. I wish the academy was a live in academy but it's not the case. The academy runs Monday-Friday 8 to 5 and I live three hours away so I'm thinking of a live in program. What do you guys think?

Forum Member

There are some vol depts around in the county that run duty crews and I know have in the past allow members to live there. Some of those depts are Apex, Durham Highway,Stony Hill, Fuquay, and Bay Leaf I believe.

Forum Member

Not a good idea. Do you really think you will be able to study sleep and be ready for each day even if you have one run after midnight? Plus you will have to drill and train with this new dept. Not to mention the Union issues you may encounter. When you do get hired see if you can ask around for a place to rent, I am sure some of the Brothers will know of someone who can help.

Parkwood, outside of Durham does duty crews also. Wake Forest also supplements their paid staff with volunteers. As far as a live-in program goes, I don't think you are going to find one of those. Maybe around Charlotte.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Thanks guys for the good responses. I'm going to see if I can work something out with one of the departments mentioned, hopefully, one that is close to where I would be living so I can continue to volunteer after the academy.

jonnyirons2--You're right it's probably not a good idea for everyone. I feel that I handle stressful and sleep deprivation situations very well. My body and brain have become accustomed to this type of training through my experience in the Marine Corps. We're a right to work state so we don't have Unions but you make a good point it may be against the department's policy and will definitely check into it. My financial situation wouldn't allow me to rent plus pay a mortgage and other bills.

My other option that I have looked into is volunteering at a homeless shelter. I left a voice message and interested in what the duties entail

Forum Member

I think Durham Highway is gonna be your best bet. However, as busy as some of these depts. are, I don't think that it would be very practical or safe to live 24/7 in those stations.

You should consider putting in an application for the city of Raleigh, as there will be a couple of new stations and companies added in the next year or so.

Forum Member

rookienc--I checked out DHFD and it looks great. Is it really a bad area?

Also thanks for the info. on Raleigh if this doesn't pan out I'm definetly going to consider some other options. Are you on with Raleigh?

Durham....ehhhh...we were at a live burn one time, and there was a shooting range next door, and after hearing shots for 10 or so minutes, somone made the comment "This must be what it's like to work in Durham!" (No offense to any Durham guys on here.)
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Forum Member

Actually, I was referring to the sleep deprivation and increased stress that you would incur by living in a relatively busy VFD house such as Durham HWY. The area around their station is pretty safe and I can't recall ever hearing them toned out for a shooting or stabbing.

However, the city of Durham has one of the highest violent crime rates in the state. I've heard nothing but good things about the firefighters there, as they often have to battle flames in projects and other urban decay conditions. While most of the people there are great, the city government is a complete joke and that is something that you should consider before moving there.

Very True. Rookie, What part of the state are you in? I'm taking it near Durham; Im from that general area also.

Thread Information