Thread: Scott Air Packs

Forum Member

Default Scott Air Packs

Does anyone know or have any inside knowledge about what new products are coming out from Scott-Health and Safety as far as SCBA's that will meet the 2007 NFPA. My dept was told that they are comingout with two new models the NXG7 and the Air Pack 75. Of course when our local dealer called Scott and myself Scott is denying anything, they did tell the dealer however that they cannot say anything at this time due to copyright b.s. If anyone has anything or any knowledge of what is coming out please send me an email...thanks and stay safe..DFDAPD

Forum Member

Oh,wait 'til you see what's planned.Integrated voice amps,regulator upgrades and who knows what else.Probably a finger that taps you on the shoulder and says"Pardon me,did you know your air is LOW?". T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talked to the rep last week. He told us that all the SCBA produced after a yet to be disclosed day, (sometime in January or February) will have to be the CBRNE compliant. He did not know any further info. Said he would call the factory. Haven't heard from him since. Guess they did not know anything either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HEYVERN View Post
    He told us that all the SCBA produced after a yet to be disclosed day, (sometime in January or February) will have to be the CBRNE compliant.
    That noise you just heard was the price of new gear taking off, strapped to a
    shuttle launch booster......
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker06 View Post
    They said it could add another $1000.00 to each unit.

Forum Member

We are living without the NXG2's right now so if they bring in another model that won't change things around here. So why worry

MembersZone Subscriber

With the NFPA 1971 - 2005 edition you have the option of making your Gear CBRNE compliant. The only thing is that if you order any of your gear CBRNE than ALL of your gear has to be CBRNE. You cannot have CBRNE Pants and Coat, and non-CBRNE boots, gloves, hood, and SCBA. So it's either an all-or-nothing approach.

You don't HAVE to make any of your gear CBRNE compliant (and many-many departments won't have the funding to add that extra cost to their specs when they buy new gear). It is a big start-up cost to pay in addition to non-CBRNE 2005 edition gear. But if your SCBA is CBRNE all of your other gear has to be too.

And that last requirenment is the reason that I don't believe that SCOTT will go exclusively to CBRNE SCBA's, but always have them as an option. If Scott is only selling SCBA's that are CBRNE compliant, then there would be many departments that would not buy them, because they cannot afford to spend the extra money to buy every single member new Turnout Gear that is CBRNE also. Scott would $crew themselves out of a lot of business.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker06 View Post
    AMEN TO THAT.

Forum Member

We use the scott 4.5s and i really have no problem with them at all. I dont see the need to upgrade, we already have integrated pass and a hud. What more could you need?
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by res1cueffd View Post
    We use the scott 4.5s and i really have no problem with them at all. I dont see the need to upgrade, we already have integrated pass and a hud. What more could you need?
    The problem is that Scott is no longer going to make the Air Pack 50, now it's either the NXG7 or the Air Pack 75.

Forum Member

Just got 20 Scott AP50's. Choice of going CBRNE or not was a matter of $90 per pack. We chose not to as nothing else we have is CBRNE.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    With the NFPA 1971 - 2005 edition you have the option of making your Gear CBRNE compliant. The only thing is that if you order any of your gear CBRNE than ALL of your gear has to be CBRNE. You cannot have CBRNE Pants and Coat, and non-CBRNE boots, gloves, hood, and SCBA. So it's either an all-or-nothing approach.

You don't HAVE to make any of your gear CBRNE compliant (and many-many departments won't have the funding to add that extra cost to their specs when they buy new gear). It is a big start-up cost to pay in addition to non-CBRNE 2005 edition gear. But if your SCBA is CBRNE all of your other gear has to be too.

And that last requirenment is the reason that I don't believe that SCOTT will go exclusively to CBRNE SCBA's, but always have them as an option. If Scott is only selling SCBA's that are CBRNE compliant, then there would be many departments that would not buy them, because they cannot afford to spend the extra money to buy every single member new Turnout Gear that is CBRNE also. Scott would $crew themselves out of a lot of business.
    Scott or any other manufacture does not have a choice...NFPA 1981, 2007 edition requires CBRN certification.

Forum Member

And the NFPA is just looking out for us, right? All a mask really needs is for air to come out of it. Why do you need a HUD? Voice amps? What the hell are we talking about here??? Why is the NFPA requiring anything beyond safe, reliable gear? This is such a scam of an organization and everyone just buys right in to their BS, quoting standards and pretending that NFPA has some clue. Wake up. They are for profit. Everyone here is more concerned about complying with some group of nobodies who know nothing about their department than they are with getting the job done. Jesus, where does this end? When no one can afford to opperate anymore because they keep upping the ante so that manufacturers can keep selling more gear? Just look at some of the stupid stuff they require and tell me it's needed. I just don't understand why everyone wants Chief Cletus from the East Bumfu@k VFD and his panal of idiots and salesmen telling you how to do your job. I guess I don't care. My department has money to burn and buys anything and everything stupid that comes around, but I assume many don't have the money we do and you should all be concerned with this overbearing pack of nitwits.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    And the NFPA is just looking out for us, right? All a mask really needs is for air to come out of it. Why do you need a HUD? Voice amps? What the hell are we talking about here??? Why is the NFPA requiring anything beyond safe, reliable gear? This is such a scam of an organization and everyone just buys right in to their BS, quoting standards and pretending that NFPA has some clue. Wake up. They are for profit. Everyone here is more concerned about complying with some group of nobodies who know nothing about their department than they are with getting the job done. Jesus, where does this end? When no one can afford to opperate anymore because they keep upping the ante so that manufacturers can keep selling more gear? Just look at some of the stupid stuff they require and tell me it's needed. I just don't understand why everyone wants Chief Cletus from the East Bumfu@k VFD and his panal of idiots and salesmen telling you how to do your job. I guess I don't care. My department has money to burn and buys anything and everything stupid that comes around, but I assume many don't have the money we do and you should all be concerned with this overbearing pack of nitwits.
    Agreed, almost entirely. The one change I would point out is that it is not the "Chief Cletuses" of the world that are over-represented on NFPA panels. It is the chiefs of (often comparatively wealthy) suburban departments (Chief Chad? Chief Biff?).

Would you allow Ford and Chevy to tell you when you are required to purchase a new car?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISIscba View Post
    Scott or any other manufacture does not have a choice...NFPA 1981, 2007 edition requires CBRN certification.
    That's a joke. "Scott or any other manufacturer" ARE the NFPA.

"Sorry Sir, we have no choice but to sell you gear that is no better, just more complicated and prone to breaking, but costs twice as much. What's that? Why don't we have a choice? Because the NFPA says so. What's the NFPA? Why, that's me, my peers in the business and our golfing buddies."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfdapd View Post
    The problem is that Scott is no longer going to make the Air Pack 50, now it's either the NXG7 or the Air Pack 75.
    Not True.

I am a Scott Distributor in Oregon and I have seen the new AP 75. Haven't seen or really heard much about the new NXG2. The AP 75 was just a demo/prototype I saw in December from our Scott rep. Looks like it will be pretty neat. What they have pretty much done is taken the AP50 and the NXG2 and combined them. The biggest complaint about the NXG2 was the quick connect/disconnect of the cylinder (which a lot think is great) because of the inability to use other cylinders with their BA's (ie MSA, Survivair bottles). Personally I don't really see that as a valid argument seeing as how if you ask most firefighters, not all, but most, if they have ever done mutual aid and used another departments BA's, they will say never. In fact you are not supposed to combine different manufactures' cylinders with airpacks. Anyways back to the AP 75. They have taken the bells and whistles of the NXG2 and incorporated it with the basic framework of the AP 50. So now you have a pack with the same cylinder connection as the 50 with the visual and audible low air warnings that the NXG2 had. The PAK Alert is going to have a 45 degree angle for the gauge so that it is easier to read(but I believe that will be on all packs due to the new design forced by NFPA) All the electronics are being placed at the base of the pack, and the whole things runs off of ONE (that's right, ONE) battery supply, which is 6 AA's.

As far as NFPA 2007 goes, I am with you guys on this. I think that their are some things that are not really neccessary and it is just a way for the manufacturers to squeeze more money out of these things. Starting with all Airpacks purchased HAVE to be shipped with a voice amp. However some of the things they are doing are good. The one, and most important thing in NFPA 2007, I think, is the new tumble/imersion/muffle test that the PASS alarms are going to be put through. Yes they will be impossible to repair and will most likely just have to be replaced (3 year warranty though). But they will be much better and less likely to fail when a firefighter needs it the most, because let's face it, that PASS alarm may one day save your life. Unfortunatly I have been told that upgrading your BA's to meet 2007 will probably cost $1000+.(that nubmer is just for Scott, it may be more or less for others, but I believe it will cost more for MSA, survivair, and others)

I see that you are from Albany which is north of where I am from. If you have any other questions you can give me a call. 800-654-7049

p.s. One more thing that Scott will be coming out with is their new communications device called the EPIC. It has a bluetooth chip in it to wirelessly connect with your radios and should be voice activated.

Forum Member

When is Scott going to come out with a regulator that stays attached to the face mask so it does not dangle all over the place when you take it? That is the big thing I dont like about Scott packs. That is whey we are looking at the ISI and Interspiro. We will probable end up with Interspiro b/c we have several of there packs, Plus our local paid Dept. already uses Interspiro.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

Forum Member

........$$$$$$$$$........

Forum Member

What we need is for all the BA mfg's to do is put GPS in the BA's so downed FF's can be quickly located in safe manner.

Forum Member

So tell me, what the hell is CBRN?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    So tell me, what the hell is CBRN?
    A waste of everyones money. Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear. We have cbrn masks but nothing else. Plus, If it can't be washed down with a 2 1/2, how close do I really need to get to the nuke? C'mon, lets get real.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    Agreed, almost entirely. The one change I would point out is that it is not the "Chief Cletuses" of the world that are over-represented on NFPA panels. It is the chiefs of (often comparatively wealthy) suburban departments (Chief Chad? Chief Biff?).
    You're right. I stand corrected.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gatoremt View Post
    When is Scott going to come out with a regulator that stays attached to the face mask so it does not dangle all over the place when you take it? That is the big thing I dont like about Scott packs. That is whey we are looking at the ISI and Interspiro. We will probable end up with Interspiro b/c we have several of there packs, Plus our local paid Dept. already uses Interspiro.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here? I have never seen or heard of a regulator "dangling" all over the place. Once you do the quarter turn and lock the regulator in to place it can't move.

Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    What we need is for all the BA mfg's to do is put GPS in the BA's so downed FF's can be quickly located in safe manner.
    http://www.scotthealthandsafety.com/paktracker.htm

Something new from Scott. I have played around with our demo set and it seems to be pretty cool. Even better if you have Scott SCBA's you can have the transmitter integrated into your pak.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRLloyd View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here? I have never seen or heard of a regulator "dangling" all over the place. Once you do the quarter turn and lock the regulator in to place it can't move.
    He maybe referring to the length of the new low pressure hose to the face-piece regulator. It is longer than the older models without the quick disconnect feature, so it has a habit of getting in the way.

Forum Member

I meant once you are no longer hooked to the face mask. The regulators I have seen are dangling all over the place. Unlike the ISI and Interspiro. The regulator is mounted to the face mask all the time.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

Thread Information