MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Ok.. This Is Just Wrong

If this report is true, I mean. I know that the charge would only amount to a misdemeanour but that is not really the point. Maybe I kind of/sort of recognize the requirement to allow for a certain amount of expression/release, but ......... well anyway....

Police Allegedly Allow Protestors To Deface Capitol
    Controversy Sparks Over Weekend Rally

POSTED: 4:35 pm EST January 29, 2007
    UPDATED: 4:53 pm EST January 29, 2007

WASHINGTON -- There is controversy amid reports that U.S. Capitol Police allowed protestors to spray-paint part of the west steps this weekend during a rally against the war in Iraq.

According to an account in The Hill newspaper on Monday, a splinter group of anti-war protesters composed of anarchists spray-painted slogans on the Capitol building Saturday while Capitol police stood by and did nothing.

According to The Hill, newly installed U.S. Capitol Police Chief Phillip Morse and Deputy Chief Daniel Nichols told officers to "fall back" and "cede" the west terrace stairs to the protesters at the time of the incident. The approximately 300 anarchists then proceeded to spray-paint "anarchist symbols" on the structure.

Rank-and-file police officers were reported to be "livid" at the order from their superiors.

A clip posted on YouTube.com showed protestors defacing the Capitol steps with anarchist symbols and slogans.

One source said police were forced to stand by and watch as protestors posed in front of their graffiti before it was removed.

Monday morning a member of Congress, Rep. Cliff Stearns, took the floor of the House to ask for the speaker's office to "look into it."

In an e-mail response, Morse defended his decision.

"While there were minor instances of spray painting of pavement by a splinter group of Anarchists who were seeking a confrontation with the police, their attempts to breach into secure areas and rush the doors of the Capitol were thwarted."

Morse went on to assert that "sound, measured crowd control tactics were employed," and that in any event, "the graffiti was easily removed" by Capitol staff.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

...or maybe its just the Army trainined Anti-protest/anti-riot bits in me that are rebelling against this.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

hmmm, what causes less commotion? letting some people spray paint a few steps, or the PD "forcing" people not to...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    hmmm, what causes less commotion? letting some people spray paint a few steps, or the PD "forcing" people not to...
    I hear ya Bones. I hear ya. And thats what makes the conflict for me. I'm trained to repress activities like this using (hopefully) civil manners, but with the option to be more aggressive should the situation warrant it.

On the other side of the coin though, even though its not my Capitol, if I was asked to provide security for it during a similar event, that would include preventing property damage of any kind.

Rank-and-file police officers were reported to be "livid" at the order from their superiors.
    And I would have the same professional and moral dilema that the Troops had when they were told to stand down.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

I dunno; to me spray paitning is the equivelant of unzipping your pants, pulling out your shlong and ****ing anyhere you want in public. The only difference is that the paint is more permanent.

Forum Member

Mace works to deter those left wing nuts.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey View Post
    So do large quantities of CS Gas followed with a good splashing of water.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey View Post
    I'm with you on this,Cap.My taxes pay for those buildings' maintenance and I don't want my property destroyed.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I'm with you on this,Cap.My taxes pay for those buildings' maintenance and I don't want my property destroyed.

It's not just the taxes that you and I pay to maintain the site. This place was paid for with the blood of the patriots and heroes who fought for and founded this country, and the people who have served and died in our military since.

MembersZone Subscriber

Geez Rick...

Chretien would have personally pepper sprayed those goofballs.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Geez Rick...

Chretien would have personally pepper sprayed those goofballs.
    HEHEHEEHEHEHE Yep. And Good O'le Trudeau would have "flipped" 'em

Thread Information