MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2007 AFG Grant Idea

Critique this idea please.

A few years back we were able to take advantage of a program though the state to build 2 Type 5 wildland engines, we supply the chassis, they supplied the build up. We will not be able to do this again unfortunatly.

These trucks are GREAT. They have been the best wildland firetrucks we have every had, and they are the standard design for state crews, basically a Forest Service Model 42 (I think).

They are easy to train the guys on, and they work slick...

So we want to covert the rest of the brushtruck fleet over to this same standard, not all type 5s, but type 6 and type 3s that are set up identical to the type 5s.

We are 730 square miles of rural lands, between 30-80 wildfires a year wilding varying in size and intensity due to many factors. Duration can be a few hours to a few days. We have 5 or so structure fires a year, 5 or so auto crashes, 5 or so other. Seperate EMS service in the county. Mutual aid area is 8000 square miles of wildland, interface, ag lands, and oild and gas field. We save the state and feds from fighting many wildfires a year that would grow to huge proportions if it wasnt for our initial attack assets.

We dont have the funds to standardize the fleet on our own.

Our wildland fleet is 12 brushtrucks including the 2 type 5s in various conditions, some much better then others. We would be converting over 8 type 6 and 2 type 3s to the standard design like the type 5s.

I am estimating that its going to cost between 15k and 25k per unit to make the switch. Some units we can reuse the tanks and pumps and such...some are very old and need replacing anyway.

So my grant would be to "standardize" the brushtruck fleet to DNRC/FS type 5/model 42 standards...makeing us "interoperable" with fed and state crews...also facilitating ease of training and maintenance...also makeing our firefighters safter by udating old equipment/standardizing equipoment/better training, etc...

Inluded in this project would be a comprehensive driver training program.

So we would be asking for about 200K (10 conversions at average of 20K a piece) at first rough guess for implementation of the grant program....

Chance in heck?

Thanks!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Conversions of that type are considered a vehicle application, not equipment so it's not possible. Buying slide-in skid units is an equipment app so you could do more than one, but not conversions like this. Great thought, just not an AFG project possibility.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks BC79er, that clairfies things.

So in theory could we apply for say 6 slide in units (which would be built in the same pattern as the type 5s which basically have a side on mounted on a flatbed with some toolboxes) to equip the older trucks with?

I think I would add to this new radios to replace the aging radios in those trucks.

All of that should fall under equipment, correct?

Thanks!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES View Post
    Thanks BC79er, that clairfies things.

So in theory could we apply for say 6 slide in units (which would be built in the same pattern as the type 5s which basically have a side on mounted on a flatbed with some toolboxes) to equip the older trucks with?

I think I would add to this new radios to replace the aging radios in those trucks.

All of that should fall under equipment, correct?

Thanks!
    I did a successful grant last year for 2 slid-ins and a whole bunch of related equipment, such as float pumps, suction hoses, etc. since we utilize a lot of natural water sources. All fell under the equipment catagory. As far as I am concerned, going with a slide-in for the grant, and you supplying the chassis is the best way to go with a brush unit. That way you don't use up your only chance for a vehicle, but you get the majority of it paid for anyway.
    Joe Fireman

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input!

Would it be possible to oubtain a copy of your grant? I would greatly appreciate it, it sounds like it would be very similar to what we are trying to do.

samthielen@gmail.com

What were the specs you had on the slip on units? Where did you get them built, how mich, etc...

Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking FFCOPEMT, Skid mount narrative Please

Hate to be another me to, but if you send SamsonFCDES, would you mind copying me as well? If anybody else who has done a successful skid mount narrative would send it my way as well that would be great.

JGibson13@twcny.rr.com

MembersZone Subscriber

As I recall HGAC has contracts in place with several of the quality builders of slipon units. https://www.hgacbuy.org

Send them an email and they will supply a password so you can access. Includes contract prices. Much better pricing on chassis that our state contracts. Any gov't entity can participate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Neiowa, been a while. I have been away from computers...thank god!

In any case we are getting closer here in MT to being able to make the FPP or excess property programs work...I was told hold on for about 6 more months.

The speed of government...LOL.

I am still dreaming of a fleet of Wildland 513 International 4x4s!

Thread Information