Forum Member

Default oral interview 1/31/07

Anyone that has sat through an oral interview and would like to pass on some advice to an newby, here is your chance. I have heard many answers to the why i want to be a fireman, and why i want to work at this department and all contradict each other. Anyone out there that has actually answered these and has a badge now? What else can I expect. Oh by the way this is for a Michigan department!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jcgafford View Post
    Anyone that has sat through an oral interview and would like to pass on some advice to an newby, here is your chance. I have heard many answers to the why i want to be a fireman, and why i want to work at this department and all contradict each other. Anyone out there that has actually answered these and has a badge now? What else can I expect. Oh by the way this is for a Michigan department!!!!
    www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Lose the arrogance

You may consider a different approach when asking for advice pal. If you can't come up with your own reasons for becoming a fireman, you may be persuing the wrong career path.

Forum Member

arrogance is not my aim, i am just looking for help on a couple of questions that have a variety of answers. Being that this is my first time through this process and i want to do my best i am nervous. most people that have posted threads here or in other forums give the "i like helping people" answer and many have come back and called it a "clone" answer. others say that it is a fine answer. i believe for most people it is an appropriate answer and is true. but is this what they are looking for? my question is for those that have gone through an oral interview and answer this way or another and what their results were and if they would do anything differently now that they are done.
    Last edited by jcgafford; 01-30-2007 at 03:36 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

is it for jackson city

Forum Member

yes sir Jackson City.

Forum Member

Default Why

Quote Originally Posted by jcgafford View Post
    I have heard many answers to the why i want to be a fireman, and why i want to work at this department and all contradict each other.
    Yep, it seems like everyone becomes an expert once they get hired. As my our son Captain Rob http://myfireinterview.com/ says, “They’re going to tell you how to do if they were you. They’re not you.

Game day

I got a call from a candidate the other day whose oral board was at 5:00 p.m. that day. He wanted to know what last minute tips I could give him. I’ve had candidates just show up at my front door the night before their interviews wanting to know what I can do to help them. What? It seems as game day approaches candidates start creating sea monsters in their heads. That feeling is really not feeling they’re prepared.

I’m amazed by how many candidates wait until the eleventh hour to suddenly realize they might not be ready for the part of the hiring process that is 100% of the score to get hired. I told him there is not much you can do as he’s heading out the door. He’s taken several tests and said if this test doesn’t work out he will seriously consider getting our program. I did tell him to try to include personal life experience stories as part of his answers.

With that said:

1. Why do you want to be a firefighter? Actually this is one of the toughest questions to answer for most candidates.

There was a point in your pursuit during a class, ride along or a life experience where your mind went click; that’s it. This is what I want to do in life. My life is not going to be the same until I get that badge.

When did this happen? That’s your story that your can marry off with you other information.

2. Why do you want to work for this department?

Well, what are they giving you if they give you the job? One word.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

CaptBob, thanks probably just last minute butterflys from reading all the different threads and getting different viewpoints. truthfully i think i will be fine but any help at all is better than none.

MembersZone Subscriber

have you heard how many they are going to hire?

Forum Member

I believe that there is an opening for two, and the human resources director led me to believe that there are only half a dozen interviews tomorrow with no others scheduled.

MembersZone Subscriber

from what i've heard they are hiring two now and 25 over the next five years. they are not going to retest durring this time, they are going to choose from this list.

Forum Member

well i know i have the qualifications and experience, if only i can keep my foot out of my mouth. kinda sucks that a decision will be made in a few minutes that could effect the rest of your life. djm7881 are you a candidate?

MembersZone Subscriber

where do you work now

Forum Member

Madison Township, Lenawee county is that 78 - 81 a couple of stations I know?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Research

jcgafford good luck tomorrow! If I were you I would take a few seconds and look over the free stuff on captbobs website listed in this thread. I know everyone is going to tell you that you need to make up your own reason for the questions but dont not do your homework because of this.
    It is one interview in which you need to shine!!! Go in being confident yet reserved in your deminor. WEAR A SUIT AND TIE!! Shake everyone's hand at the table and call them SIR OR MAM unless told otherwise! Dont try and use their ranks they dont expect you to konw them and if you get the wrong you are shooting yourself in the foot!
    I did not purchase Captbob's prep information but he sure as hell gives alot of free information out on this forum and his web site. He does not give all the info but if you are smart you can draw from his examples and figure out what is expected.
    If you go on his site he has a list of the top 30 interview questions. If you look these over and think up answers you sould be ok. Just remember that they wont be asked quite the same way but if you think about the question you probably can relate them one way or another.

These are just things that have worked for ME!! They may help you they may not. There is alot of information on this forum about interviews and a search will bring up hundreds of threads. Do your homework and take what works for you and incorperate it. Like was said in this forum BE YOU!!! Dont try and be someone else be who you are and be confident in your ability.

The only caution I will give you is if you look though this forum and on websites and over an over questions come up and 99% of people say answer then one way dont go out on your own and answer it a different way!!! Answer it the way everyone says it should be answered but use your spin and experiences to make it personal!!!!

Get a good night sleep and good luck!! Let us know how you fair!!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

suit is pressed and ready i'll let you all know. sleep what is that?

MembersZone Subscriber

no i am a fulltimer in somerset and pull some shifts @ 89

Forum Member

then you probably know a few of the guys from 88. small world. good talkin to you all. need to take a break from this computer and go shovel snow!!!!!

Thread Information