Thread: First Due?

Forum Member

Question First Due?

Just wondering if "first due" is a term you use to describe your first in response area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebravest1 View Post
    Just wondering if "first due" is a term you use to describe your first in response area?
    I'll answer your question as soon as I finish laughing at your screen name.

whew! Ok. As it happens, we use First Due only in the context of EMS. The reason is because we run a rescue but don't transport, so there is a distinction between first due and second.

For fire calls, we all respond out of a single station, and the TOE for apparatus depends on the call, so there is no designated "first due" unit.

Forum Member

Uhmmmm.....sometimes. Mostly we call it a "still district".

Hey second part to the question...

What is the one place in your "First Due" that you dread the day it is actually on fire / or is really unique.

Our Engine would be a hospital 3 blocks away, like 4 stories, 60 years old, old utility systems....etc. Would be a nightmare.

next....
    Last edited by FHandz15; 01-30-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Forum Member

We call it our First In...some Chiefs have been using First Due but for the most part it's First In

Forum Member

It's called a 'still district' here.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

With 5 stations, first due in our Dept means the area that your company is responsible for. The way our borders are, you may or may not get to some of the calls on your company's border first, due to traffic, rigs on the road, etc. We also use the connotation with trucks/rescues, who are first due of their compnay type, not necessarily from the closest station.

As far as scariest place in my engine's first due, it would be an alcohol dependency treatment center. It's in an old school, no sprinklers, small rooms and dividers everywhere, and overnight residents who aren't very stable mentally as is. The staff doesn't impress as me as very well trained, and there are locks and screens on the doors/windows.

Forum Member

yes..........
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IACOJ BOD

We call it "The Big Red Truck wot got there first".

Anything else is confusing.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Same as Gunnyv, first due is the geographical area assigned to each company. The place(s) I dread burning in my first due are the 4,5 story walkup s##tholes that have been illegally sectioned off and contain multiple maze like illegal apartments. When you get there, they look like one big apartment from outside, and contain3, or 4 smaller ones inside with zero fire protection, and just all around dangerous for everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

In my area the "1st due" is your main responce area or fire district. In my county most districts only have one station. The "2nd due" would be the mutal aid dept helping you or in some cases the automatic aid dept helping you, hence being the 2nd fire dept to arrive at the scene.

Forum Member

We have "first due" but it is not often used in the terms of dispatch. We use it to represent the boxes we are closer to than any other company...generally for things like hydrant checking etc...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    In my area the "1st due" is your main responce area or fire district. In my county most districts only have one station. The "2nd due" would be the mutal aid dept helping you or in some cases the automatic aid dept helping you, hence being the 2nd fire dept to arrive at the scene.
    Pretty much how it goes here.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

here first due = area of coverage
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

here first due means first do to whatever type of call.

For example

Heavy rescue is first due to MVA
    Engine first due to fires
    ladder ladder first due (truck wise, after one engine gets out) to fires

Forum Member

Yes we use it. The chiefs use it to deignate a geographical area.

Permanently Removed

I use the term "first due" and definatly do not use "still". To me, a "still" is osmething used to make moonshine/alcohol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I use the term "first due" and definatly do not use "still". To me, a "still" is osmething used to make moonshine/alcohol.
    We've been using the term 'still' on the CFD longer than california has been a state. Get some time on, new guys.
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 01-31-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Every Engine and Truck in the FDNY has 1st and 2nd Due Boxes....Engines have 3rd and 4th Due also. They are assigned based on the area the companies cover. When all companies are in service in their response area, and a Box is transmitted, a "ticket" is recieved by each company that is to respond. The 1st due Engine is listed 1st, 2nd Due Engine listed 2nd etc.....The importance is that it dictates each companies function (what they are responsible to do) at the job.

An Engine that is normally 2nd or 3rd due, may be 1st or 2nd due if the normally assigned 1st or 2nd due company is on another run or is out of service. Same with Truck Companies. An example...I've been 1st due Truck at Boxes we normally would'nt go to until a 2nd Alarm; because the normally assigned companies were operating at another Box. Again the importance of it all is what actions each company is responsible for at the job,based on what "due" they are.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been using the term 'still' on the CFD longer than california has been a state. Get some time on, new guys.

Same here Chicago.....

We are "1st Due" in our "Still District".

Here in StLFD...the orer due dictates what your duties will be.

A "Still Alarm" for us is 4 companies (3 Engines, 1 H&L), and a chief.

1st due will perform engine co. duties, 2nd in truck, 3rd back up water/RIT, H&L does truck work and RIT work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    Every Engine and Truck in the FDNY has 1st and 2nd Due Boxes....Engines have 3rd and 4th Due also. They are assigned based on the area the companies cover. When all companies are in service in their response area, and a Box is transmitted, a "ticket" is recieved by each company that is to respond. The 1st due Engine is listed 1st, 2nd Due Engine listed 2nd etc.....The importance is that it dictates each companies function (what they are responsible to do) at the job.

An Engine that is normally 2nd or 3rd due, may be 1st or 2nd due if the normally assigned 1st or 2nd due company is on another run or is out of service. Same with Truck Companies. An example...I've been 1st due Truck at Boxes we normally would'nt go to until a 2nd Alarm; because the normally assigned companies were operating at another Box. Again the importance of it all is what actions each company is responsible for at the job,based on what "due" they are.
    Do you think the ol' FDNYbopper knows this ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Exclamation

First due, still alarm district, being first all the same. Depends on where youse live!

East Coast (right coast) calls it still district. New guys have picked up the first due term.

Any ways, go when the bells hit!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    Do you think the ol' FDNYbopper knows this ?

Of course he does. Engine 66 and Ladder 62 are first due to EVERY fire in NYC. He can even pump the line in idle and flow a master stream

Forum Member

Exclamation

Allright, thats what I needed to know. First Due is the working title for a serious video game project I'm currently developing with Michigan State University and Reactor Zero game studio. If any of you smoke eaters want to be in the game or contribute scenarios for the game, hit me up at bradlilly@comcast.net. We'll have a website up & running at www.first-due.com in a few weeks where you can learn more.
    Last edited by thebravest1; 02-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Thread Information