Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Power Hawk Rescue Tools

Well, if you're reading this, then it finally worked after weeks of trying to post this thread...anyhow, looking for thoughts/opinions good, bad or otherwise on Power Hawk's line of battery operated rescue tools (spreader, cutter, rams, sawzall), preferably from those who use/have used it or tried them in a demo or field trial.

They seem to make a pretty good product that while not intended to replace hydraulics meets a need be it for RIT or collapse rescue (tight spaces, often O2 deficient) as well as for those depts. that can't afford hydraulics but want something other than a Halligan for extrication.

Also curious to hear thoughts on how Power Hawk stacks up to other brands of battery packs offered by the hydraulic tool vendors (Hurst, Holmatro, etc.).

Look forward to hearing everyone's input...thanks for the help...Stay Safe..

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I used them during an extrication class that I attended last year. I wasnt really impressed, they did have some good features but overall I didnt like them but that is just my personal opinion. Vehicle extrication I dont think they would be good for, reason being is they just took to long to cut through the posts. For RIT and USAR probably would be a great tool especially in tight spaces. Like I said I cant really give a 100% review because I only used them for about an hour or so.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry a set on our "rescue" (Commercial GMC chassis, really more of a brush truck). We bought it as the country rescue company can sometimes be a long ways out and it's better than the nothing we had before. We can at least start the extrication while waiting on the mutual aid with the heavy tools. It's also useful in our district as we are all mountains. The entire battery pack can be carried or lowered with the tool to the vehicle without having to worry about an umbilical cord to the engine or a huge generator/hydraulic pump. We have the combi blade, cutters, spreaders, and the rams. For what they are they are very effective.

Forum Member

Quick edit.
    Last edited by FatherPierce; 11-11-2007 at 11:13 PM.

They have their uses, but not as your primary extrication tools. They are great on an engine or support vehicle, but they DO NOT replace a hydraulic set of tools. They have limited power, and their performance is limited. can they pop a door? yeah, sometimes. are you going to cut posts with them? probably not. are they going to get you into any truck or bus? doubtful.

but they better than nothing, and when you are on scene at an MVC, and the rescue is 10-15 minutes away, at least you can get some work started, and possibly gain entry to your patient.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

The Navy has bought quite a few of these units. Mostly carriers have recieved them. I am more familiar with small boy ships having the Hurst tools. The Power Hawk from what others ahve told me, as I have no first hand experience, is maintenance intensive and does not get along with salty sea mist and air.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a set, I find that the battery can be charged and if it does run out a set of "jumper cables" to any 12 volt battery will keep it going. Have not used it on heavy rescue but have cut A&B post and the "combo" blade will walk across a roof faster than most hydraulic cutters. Most of our work has been on older cars, but the new semis are mostly fiber glass or plastic. Have popped a door with them but don't know how they will work on the newest cars with their new metal.
    Me and small moters don't get along (don't use them enough). We don't use them a lot but so far have been satisfied.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Thread Information