Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Troubled boots

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Troubled boots

I am having trouble with my rubber boots fitting tight. I have asked how to get leather boots and everyone says to get a DR. note Which is fine I know plenty of them but am curious what it should state. Don't think a simple
    FEET HURT NEEDS LEATHER! would cut it.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Why do you need a doctors note to get leather boots? I dont really understand what needs to be said in this note? Does your department state that you only wear what they give you? Or can you purchase leather boots on your own? My department wont buy our guys leather boots but if you purchase them on your own, your more than welcome to use them and keep your rubber boots as a backup set. Have you tried getting bigger boots? Where about's are they getting tight at? Around the calfs?
    Last edited by Engine58; 01-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

They are tight in the toes and to loose in the heels constantly rubbing my feet raw
    Can't buy our own because they say it is a liability. Don't know how but that is the answer I get. NFPA is NFPA is it not.
    Have a pair of Pro Warrington 5000 on my county dept and they fit perfect but I can't wear them on my paid dept.
    Last edited by Fytnfire; 01-30-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Member

Pensive turnouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fytnfire View Post
    They are tight in the toes and to loose in the heels constantly rubbing my feet raw
    Can't buy our own because they say it is a liability. Don't know how but that is the answer I get. NFPA is NFPA is it not.
    Have a pair of Pro Warrington 5000 on my county dept and they fit perfect but I can't wear them on my paid dept.
    I don't see how buying new boots on your own, from a dealer or what not is a liability.

Go buy some leathers. Make sure they are NFPA, and just wear them. Some depts. will try to say you have to wear what's issued, but just don't advertise it, and wear them.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

MembersZone Subscriber

Leather boots in a all rubber dept would stick out like a sore thumb
    This would be a good idea but since this subject has been through the chian I doubt they would give me much leway once they found out I was wereing them anyway
    Ive got a signature just need a prof. letter as to why I need leather over rubber

Boss, My boots are naff, chopping feet up like Ginzu knives.

Would be a good start. Or at least a start.

If you just have a leather fetish, try another excuse.

But talk to them, they will not chew your head / feet off.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Kiwi,

Just have the doctor say you got flat feet and that the instep of the leather boot would help your posture....LOL

I know a guy who actually did this so he didn't have to pay for the boots!

Or tell them the truth, the weight of your huge balls are pulling down on your heels and you need better boots!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

It really doesn't matter if you wear rubber, leather or wooden shoes. If they don't fit properly, your feet are going to hurt.

Having some oddball sized feet, I can relate to the gentleman's problem. I requested that I be allowed to purchase a set of boots myself, I even told the organization I didnt care if I was re-imbursed for the purchase, I just wanted boots that fit right and were comfortable. I advised the Chief I would only purchase footwear that would meet the applicable NFPA/ANSI criteria.

I too, received the "We cant let you do that, it would be a liability" song and dance.

I received a letter from my family physician that basically stated "he's got big feet, he needs more form-fitting boots that will work better for him. At my request, he stated in the letter "I reccomend Brand XYZ model 123 OR AN EQUAL boot as they are custom-fit by the manufacturer's sales rep.

Tell the Department if its a matter of finance, you will purchase (even though I dont agree with that, your employer should provide you with adequate, fitting protection, volunteer or not.) or even go halfway.

What methods do you have in place to grieve decisions? Are you Union? Could you file a grievance, a ULP claim or something simular? Could you request a peer review of the situation?

The "liability" song and dance is admin's chickenpoop way out of doing something. Credible, yes, but almost always a solution can be reached.

And whatever you do, don't just buy them and wear them as suggested in a previous post- that will only lead to trouble. The trick here is to sell them on your needs, not turn them against you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Fytnfire View Post
    I am having trouble with my rubber boots fitting tight. I have asked how to get leather boots and everyone says to get a DR. note Which is fine I know plenty of them but am curious what it should state. Don't think a simple
    FEET HURT NEEDS LEATHER! would cut it.
    Our department has been wearing leather (Pro's & Lacrosse) for a number of years. We had our annual contract come up last year, and we wear tested several different styles.

We are now switching all of our boots over to the new airboss rubber boot. Thats right, we're switching back from leather to rubber ! You should see it. It looks like and fits like a leather boot, but its made of synthetic rubber, so it is light and flexible. This new boot is as light and comfortable as any leather we have tried, plus it gives us the protection of rubber. The boot is haz mat & usar certified, with an added bonus of cbrn protection. Best protection we found in any boot out there, with the same level of comfort as a leather boot. And for those that will tell me that it ain't possible, thats because you haven't tried it yet. The company gave us free samples to field test, and I think they would do it for any department out there.

All I can say is to give it a try, its worth it.

Good luck.

Thread Information