Forum Member

Default What next? (warning RANT)

First an eldery person runs into a market, then one carries a man in his windshied through a toll booth, then one runs into a grocery store, then one runs into a school cafeteria and KILLS a kid, 2 words- vehicular manslaughter.

Who is going to step up and take responsibilty of the lack of supervision? It ISNT a right to drive, you must earn the Privilege to drive.

My solution is that if anyone know of the drivers condition, put them on trial along with the driver for the death of those who they run into. Im sick of the defense, they didnt know what they were doing. If they dont know what they are doing, what are they doing on the road? Every day I drive to work, i witness elderly drivers running red lights, turing left on red because they feel they have the right to, hitting someone and thinking they can just drive off, hitting someone and thinking they didnt do anything wrong. Being run off the road by someone who decied they didnt want to go down the exit ramp, someone slamming on their brakes in the middle of a freeway because they went the wrong way, someone backing into a car in the parking lot and driving off. If I drove into a crowd and killed people I would be charged and jailed. If an elderly person who doesnt even have the faculties to drive does that, they get a slap on the wrist.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey View Post
    First an eldery person runs into a market, then one carries a man in his windshied through a toll booth, then one runs into a grocery store, then one runs into a school cafeteria and KILLS a kid, 2 words- vehicular manslaughter.

My solution is that if anyone know of the drivers condition, put them on trial along with the driver for the death of those who they run into. Im sick of the defense, they didnt know what they were doing. If they dont know what they are doing, what are they doing on the road?
    If I drove into a crowd and killed people I would be charged and jailed. If an elderly person who doesnt even have the faculties to drive does that, they get a slap on the wrist.
    I guess you missed the elderly guy from San Francisco last year who went careening high-speed through a "Farmer's Market"-type outdoor activity. Killed a few people, and something like 70-80 others were injured. Upon coming to a stop, he was reported to have expressed no remorse and said people should've gotten out of his way.
    He was found guilty of vehicular manslaughter, reckless driving (big whoop, a misdemeanor), and a couple other miscellaneous charges....and like you said, he got a "slap on the wrist" simply because he's old. His defense argued that he was too old and frail to go to jail, and instead should simply be put on probation. What a crock...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

It could be that they simply didn't notice the impact.
    As to people feeling they have the "right"to drive anyway they want to,it's pretty much an epidemic here in Memphis.
    The speed limit signs seem to be only a suggestion the way folks rawhide down the streets.If people don't drive like they learned how in driver's ed,it's no wonder why fire and rescue personnel have job security.
    It also makes me hope that we DON'T get flying cars anytime soon as people don't seem to have the two dimension driving skills down pat yet.

Forum Member

Captain Mikey I could not agree more with you and I would add more things than I have time to write here regarding poor drivers. Everyday I go to work is a total agravation and drives me to my bottle of Titralac. Add the total out of control graffitti, increased numbers of gang bangars, assorted criminals getting away with everything and the general lack of human decency and regard for common human rights and you are now looking at the new face of this great nation going down the tubes.

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a minimun age and a test to get your license, why not something to keep it?

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer View Post
    There's a minimun age and a test to get your license, why not something to keep it?
    I agree. You would think that the insurance industry would be behind such a move and make it happen. We know the politicians won't do it because it would cost them votes.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

agreed 100%
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

mandatory execution upon reaching the age of 65. From there on, all you do is drain social security and cause the raging increase of medicare. You've served your bit for mankind. Now, go be fertilizer in my garden.

MembersZone Subscriber

The small problem with passing all these laws: OLD PEOPLE VOTE!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Ya wanna know why?

Because the over 55 crowd (those who belong to AARP) are the most steadfastly reliable voting block and no politician who wants to remain in office (and they all do) will introduce a bill that will limit the operation of a vehicle.

The law would be fought, found to be biased against increase age and then be overturned.

Yet numerous statistics and studies have shown that the folks over 70 have an accident rate equal to or exceeding the under 25 crowd. No one will do anything about it. Ever. Yet people will continue to be seriously injured and killed because of it.

Of course people think of driving as a right. It is a privilege as I understand things - unless someone can show me where a state Constitution shows that you are guaranteed the right to drive. Perhaps I missed it while reviewing my copy of the United States Constitution.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 02-01-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Talking

EEEgads, I guess that I had better watch myself on this thread or leave it as I am deep doo-doo here. I'm 60 and now I will have to die in 5 years to help fertilize the garden for JHR1985 and take more tests for Sharkie. On the other hand I belong to AARP and vote so I have the power per 1219. Oh my gracious, another gray hair has just grown out.

Forum Member

. . . but would elderly voters have such a problem with it if they knew they could pass the test? I mean, it's good for them too, because they have less chance that they are going to get clobbered by someone else their age who thought they were hitting the brake when it was really the gas.

Age bias?

What about marriage? My insurance company legally descriminates against me because I'm single. Statistically speaking, a whole bunch of single nutcases have caused an increase in my bill which I had nothing to do with. Not only have insurance companies supported their increased rates with statistics showing that higher percentages of accidents involve unmarried people, but they took it one step further with psychological reasoning to determine that married men drive more carefully because they have a loved one to be concerned about. I'd like those insurance companies to go back and look at how the newly weds drive after 5 years of living with each other. Excuse me while I go get a kleenex.

So I don't think you should have to surrender your license at an older age just because of statistics. But if they implemented a testing system, I'd be for it.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

dont worry lvwrench. I've modified my plan a little bit. Since their is a food shortage across so much of the world, I hereby decree that everyone over the age of 65 be taken to the slaughterhouse and be processed into 93/7 lean meat and call it Soylent Green.

But... I would pardon a select few. The major one would be Charlton Heston.

That way... he can walk out and yell SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

Forum Member

Talking

Allright JHR 1985; now I can really tell people to EAT ME.

Thread Information