Forum Member

Thumbs down WTF??? Americanfool

Wake up webteam, It is time to do something about Americanfool 82, lets get his posts deleted, now and ban him from the forumns for life. His comments are very offensive and have no business bieng posted.

Administrator

Default Firehouse.com deeply regrets the incident with the derogatory postings

To our loyal members, customers, brothers and sisters in the fire and EMS service,

All of us at Firehouse.com regret the incident with the derogatory postings this morning. There is no reason that such vile, disgusting material should ever be on our sites, or any site. We are just as upset about this as you and we appreciate and acknowledge your faith and trust that we would remove this immediately. We thank those of you have brought it to our attention and are looking into all options available to us to try and prevent a similar such problem from happening again.

We are, as most of you know, in a large process of change. Change not just among our team, but in our infrastructure as well. With this change, we look forward to being able to support the features that have led us to being a premier public safety site as well as launch new endeavors. Growing pains in any part of life are tough and require adjustment and patience. We know you have been patient enough, but we ask that you would continue to bear with us as we adjust to our situation.

Hopefully you are encouraged by our reply, although we deeply regret the instance that has provoked it. Please know that we are continually working to support you and provide you with the best information on behalf of the fire and EMS service, as well as working to make our delivery of this to you as highly efficient as possible.

Again, we apologize for this problem, and are working to prevent it from happening again.

The Webteam of Firehouse.com

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I hate to be the unappriciative bastard here since this is free and all, but this is striking a nerve. I'm not sure if you are completely blind to this or you are ignoring it trying to sound good. Either way, your reply doesn't come close to addressing the issues here and frankly it is insulting

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    We are just as upset about this as you and we appreciate and acknowledge your faith and trust that we would remove this immediately. We thank those of you have brought it to our attention and are looking into all options available to us to try and prevent a similar such problem from happening again.
    First things first, I don't think anyone who has been around here any decent amount of time to know better has any faith or trust in you at all. These programming bugs with new users is nothing new, its been like this for years. Promise after promise to fix it and nothing. The "I can't start a new thread" bug has been going on for months at best. Promise after promise to fix it and it is still broken. And on top of that, it takes weeks or more for you to fix an individual user when they report the problem to you. Some a-hole joins and starts raising hell. You disappear without posting or simpy checking messages and problems for weeks at time while things go to hell. The a-holes has free run of the whole forum until you reappear on radar next week or the week after. You outright ignore everyone's complaints or problems and pretend like nothing is wrong. What on gods green earth makes you think we should have one iota of faith or trust in you??

We are, as most of you know, in a large process of change. Change not just among our team, but in our infrastructure as well. With this change, we look forward to being able to support the features that have led us to being a premier public safety site as well as launch new endeavors. Growing pains in any part of life are tough and require adjustment and patience. We know you have been patient enough, but we ask that you would continue to bear with us as we adjust to our situation.
    Here you go again bragging about yourselves as if we should be proud. Growing pains my left foot. I've been through forum growing pains. That excuse doesn't fly here because these aren't growing pains. They are NEGLECT pains. Patience was something that ran out a long time ago. Maybe we could be patient if we had faith and trust in you. But how can you expect us to keep being patient when we keep getting lied to? You keep giving us the same lines of BS once every few months for the last several years. Nothing has or is changing. Everything that was wrong years ago is still wrong now with a few new things on top.

Hopefully you are encouraged by our reply, although we deeply regret the instance that has provoked it. Please know that we are continually working to support you and provide you with the best information on behalf of the fire and EMS service, as well as working to make our delivery of this to you as highly efficient as possible.
    Actually, I'm insulted by your reply because it is the same lie we've been fed over and over. Don't need to say anymore on that one.

To conclude, I want to say that I do not know who makes up the "webteam" and how many people it is. I don't know WHY this is problem... if it is the people, the schedule, the boss, the workload, or what. All I do know is that the system is broken, you know it, and you are kicking dirt in our faces by lying to us about it. We aren't stupid.

People here, myself included, have repeatedly suggested volunteer moderators to keep tabs on things. Nobody expects YOU to be here 24/7 to address problems. But a team of volunteer moderators can cover that almost compeltely. The willing and happy volunteers could handle the "personell" problems before they explode out of control and they could act as informed links between the general membership and the adminstration. It works on every other forum on the internet but you refuse to let it happen here. Why, I don't know but I'm sure there is no logical reason. That further portays the superior attitude you've shown here pretending there is nothing wrong.

Ok, I've typed enough, my hands hurt so I'm taking a break.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-31-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I appreciate the quick responce in refrence to American Fool situiation.
    I will agree with Nmfire that there are some ongoing propblems that have not been addressed by the webteam. I will also agree that this forumn has gone downhill due to neglect of the mangagement.

Forum Member

I definatly agree with NMFIRE about the Moderators.

a car forum I go to often -clubrsx.com- has moderators that are generally jsut loyal and trusted members that have shown maturity, or voted on by other members of the forum.

The site has few trolls as they get banned quickly before much damage can be done. This is definatly something that needs to take place here.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Think I was the first or one of the first to report this to the Wt and have to say that their response was very quick. I sent an email about 10am today and received a reply earlier this afternoon, so given the time difference between here and the US I would guess they acted very quickly. Thumbs up from this side of the pond.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I hate to be the unappriciative bastard here since this is free and all, but this is striking a nerve. I'm not sure if you are completely blind to this or you are ignoring it trying to sound good. Either way, your reply doesn't come close to addressing the issues here and frankly it is insulting

First things first, I don't think anyone who has been around here any decent amount of time to know better has any faith or trust in you at all. These programming bugs with new users is nothing new, its been like this for years. Promise after promise to fix it and nothing. The "I can't start a new thread" bug has been going on for months at best. Promise after promise to fix it and it is still broken. And on top of that, it takes weeks or more for you to fix an individual user when they report the problem to you. Some a-hole joins and starts raising hell. You disappear without posting or simpy checking messages and problems for weeks at time while things go to hell. The a-holes has free run of the whole forum until you reappear on radar next week or the week after. You outright ignore everyone's complaints or problems and pretend like nothing is wrong. What on gods green earth makes you think we should have one iota of faith or trust in you??

Here you go again bragging about yourselves as if we should be proud. Growing pains my left foot. I've been through forum growing pains. That excuse doesn't fly here because these aren't growing pains. They are NEGLECT pains. Patience was something that ran out a long time ago. Maybe we could be patient if we had faith and trust in you. But how can you expect us to keep being patient when we keep getting lied to? You keep giving us the same lines of BS once every few months for the last several years. Nothing has or is changing. Everything that was wrong years ago is still wrong now with a few new things on top.

Actually, I'm insulted by your reply because it is the same lie we've been fed over and over. Don't need to say anymore on that one.

To conclude, I want to say that I do not know who makes up the "webteam" and how many people it is. I don't know WHY this is problem... if it is the people, the schedule, the boss, the workload, or what. All I do know is that the system is broken, you know it, and you are kicking dirt in our faces by lying to us about it. We aren't stupid.

People here, myself included, have repeatedly suggested volunteer moderators to keep tabs on things. Nobody expects YOU to be here 24/7 to address problems. But a team of volunteer moderators can cover that almost compeltely. The willing and happy volunteers could handle the "personell" problems before they explode out of control and they could act as informed links between the general membership and the adminstration. It works on every other forum on the internet but you refuse to let it happen here. Why, I don't know but I'm sure there is no logical reason. That further portays the superior attitude you've shown here pretending there is nothing wrong.

Ok, I've typed enough, my hands hurt so I'm taking a break.
    Are you trying to get banned, NM? Last I checked (back when the WebTeam was somewhat active on the boards), the last posters to so vocally and vehemently question them were shown the door with a quickness.

In my experience on "professionally"-run forums, "calling out" a Mod is cause for quick and immediate dismissal... and typically I'd agree with such a policy--take your issues behind closed doors. You don't publicly question or argue with your captain or engineer, no matter how big a bonehead he may be...so likewise why do it to "the boss" on the forums?

In this case, though, the complaints are so numerous and grievous...sometimes people just need to be shown "how bad things really are" before they wake up and smell the sulfur.
    I myself was tempted to reply to their (his/her?) post with a *cough*bull$#!T*cough*-type post myself, but you beat me to the punch.

For what it's worth, though, good job on standing up for yourself and the rest of the membership, and I'm with you, brother.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

nmfire I applaud what I beleive is your open and honest reply and opinion. Although doing problem business behind closed doors may be the politically and socially coorect way it has become a scapegoat to the real problems involved and just bried rather than openly handled. Sometimes, maybe most of the time, it takes a well stated BS call to actually get things done and air the smell out of the room. Unfortunately, just like our elected officials, they would rather beat the matter to death with a volley of words in lieu of real action.

Forum Member

IF this were the beginning of a problem that I didn't like, of course I would take it up privately with them. That is what I would expect of people on the forum I moderate as well. It has happened before and the problems are resolved quickly.

However, considering it has been taken up with the "webteam" in private for years now, I'm pretty much beyond that stage. If they choose to ban me and delete my account for this, well that just further proves my point I guess. What I'm hoping happens is they take this in a constructive manner and some change is effected.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Hey Webteam

He's back.

So much for plan A.

I've counted about 5 threads

"Important Message"

And a bunch called "What's this?"

This time around he's calling himself Trash1. And least he's honest with himself.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Seems that everyone is ignoring Trash1, he'll be gone soon enough. Reported all of his posts, we'll see what happens.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I only reported "Important Message", before Kiwi posted to the thread.

I've also emailed the webteam.

Hopefully they will shut him down ASAP.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I reported it as well and suggested the WT suspend new membership registrations for a few days until the moron gets tired and leaves.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I reported it as well and suggested the WT suspend new membership registrations for a few days until the moron gets tired and leaves.
    Good idea, Marty! If that's what it takes, I'm all for it!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I got to agree with NMFIRE. It had to be said.

With that in mind, why can the webteam just delete the post that all the others direct you to?

Forum Member

Why won't the Web team give some of the most respected members here the power to lock down questionable threads. And lock out the poster until the WT can check it for themselfs. WT LET US HELP YOU.

Or maybe if a thread gets X number of reports it locks down until the WT can review it.

EDITED TO ADD. I AGREE WITH NMFIRE 110%
    Last edited by redneckemt; 02-01-2007 at 01:15 AM.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    IF this were the beginning of a problem that I didn't like, of course I would take it up privately with them. That is what I would expect of people on the forum I moderate as well. It has happened before and the problems are resolved quickly.

However, considering it has been taken up with the "webteam" in private for years now, I'm pretty much beyond that stage. If they choose to ban me and delete my account for this, well that just further proves my point I guess. What I'm hoping happens is they take this in a constructive manner and some change is effected.
    Like I said--there are exceptions to the "praise in public, reprimand in private" rule, this being one of them.

Hell, I've noticed a big downhill slide since I started browsing here last year. At least back then there were a number of informative threads and there was a lot more participation from the membership, especially those who actually know what they're talking about. Between flaming morons like AmericanFool/Trash1 and "know-it-all" posers like FDNYBop, it's amazing the site's getting any new members at all!
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the site turn into a ghost town over the next few months. Wouldn't be surprised at all...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

User "trash1" deleted. Email sent to delete threads. 0713 hrs.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

I see my has been made for me once again. Thanks for the support folks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    User "trash1" deleted. Email sent to delete threads. 0713 hrs.
    Deleting/banning registered users doesn't help much unless guest posting is disabled (as it should be).

Ultimately the only way to really get a handle on trolls is to require users to register with "real" email addresses and disallow web based "throwaways" like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. Otherewise they just keep popping up under new free addresses all the time...

As has already been suggested, volunteer moderators are also key in heading off trolls early. vBB markets this particular forum's software specifically on the strength of it's built in warning/ban system for multiple moderators. The Webteam really needs to look into implementing that system.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 02-01-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

OMG, how many times.... this is not a guest user issue. The user is registered. It just doesn't show up properly until the "webteam" fixes something with it. The registration system is one of the things that has been broken for years and not fixed. It happens to every new user.

MembersZone Subscriber

- just trying to do what I can.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Deleting/banning registered users doesn't help much unless guest posting is disabled (as it should be).

Ultimately the only way to really get a handle on trolls is to require users to register with "real" email addresses and disallow web based "throwaways" like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. Otherewise they just keep popping up under new free addresses all the time...

As has already been suggested, volunteer moderators are also key in heading off trolls early. vBB markets this particular forum's software specifically on the strength of it's built in warning/ban system for multiple moderators. The Webteam really needs to look into implementing that system.

Jesussssssss Murphy LOL. How many times, by how many people, does it have to be said that these people ARE NOT GUESTS, they are REGISTERED USERS???!!!! My understanding is that it is a glitch in the system that appeared maybe 6 months to a year ago.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Whoops, LOL. Didn't see NM's post

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Why not to have "respected" users as moderators....

How many times have people complained that "Guests" can post because those people (many are "respected" users) don't understand this system at all and know what does/doesn't work? That might be a reason.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information