Forum Member

Default On any other cities lists??

If I'm truthfull about this question, my answer will be yes.
    My Problem is I've heard that if you answer yes to this question, the dept thats interviewing you will toss out your application.
    Like everyone else, all I want is to be a firefighter. I've applied to about 6 different departments and I am on 2 lists. I will accept a job offer from the first one that calls!!!
    When I mention this to the oral board.....I have a feeling they will give me a low score. Can anyone help with this?
    Thanks everyone!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Tell them your on other lists. The worst thing that will happen is that they will ask you to remove your name from the other list as a condition of employment. Best thing that will happen is that they will pick you up sooner in the process so they dont lose you to that other dept. As long as your not an A-Hole you should be in good shape.

Forum Member

Default Ok

They know that everyone is testing out there. If they ask tell them. If they don't ask, don't bring it up.

And, they're hear all the time that this is the only place I want to work for or this is my dream department. If you say this, be prepared to back it up.

Had a candidate who was on LA Cities list and had started background. His home town department in Washinnton gave him a conditional offer which included taking his name off the LA Cities list. He felt he wouldn't have to move so he did it. He didn't make it through the academy and is now trying to get his name back on LA Cities list.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If you tell a department that you are not on any other lists, you are just another candidate. Dime a dozen.

If you ARE on other lists, you are a desirable candidate. A fire department’s mindset is that we better hire this candidate before someone else does. This works in your favor.

It can work against you IF the list you are on is a “more desirable” department. If the department believes you will leave for a bigger name they will not hire you.

For the record it is illegal for a department to make you take your name off the eligibility list. They cannot mandate this as a condition of employment.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

When a department asks if you are on any other lists...do they then ask where on the list you rank? Or do they just want to know if you are actively seeking a firefighter career with other departments?

Thanks.

Forum Member

They might ask where you're on the list or what stage of the hiring process you're in.

So if indeed it could be illegal to ask you to take your name off another list as a condition of employment what are you going to say, no? How do you think that will fly? You're not even hired yet and the rookie is giving them problems.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

My oral board asked this, tell em yes. Say "I am on a few(or however many), going through fire school I had several top notch departments I would not of minded working for, but I would love the chance to be on this department. Your customer service and overall structure and morale is something I want to be apart of."

Don't steal my interview tips by the way, just kiddin. Basically your telling them you are on other lists but you want to be with THEIR department. Rephrase it. Worked for me

Thread Information