Thread: peoria fd

Forum Member

Default peoria fd

does anyone have any details about the test peoria is having?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

I couldn't tell you the date off hand but i know its a written and physical which is the combat challenge. They do there own academy at the tower and the first year after you get hired you bounce stations. They are good group of guys and they see quite a bit of fire, you have to be in "the valley" to catch alot of jobs

Forum Member

how are they able to hire at 19?? I saw that on the page i saw all their info on and it really threw me for a loop.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Forum Member

One of my friends is a capt. downtown i will ask him and get back with you on that. Talked to him last night and he said after your year in "the valley" you get placed out in the 20's or in that area, you have to work your way back over the hill. The 4 house or central is the place to be

Forum Member

Thanks for the info efd.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ox;
    I have seen Peoria FD in action and they rock!
    Next to Galesburg, Peo FD would be my second choice in this state.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

CR,

I never would of never guessed that Galesburg ranks so high up there on your list. I have been to galesburg and its a beautiful city. It's good to hear that Peoria is such a good department. I have been to Peoria many times too. We used to deliver butter and eggs to a bakery on the northern side of town but sometimes ran down into grainger on adams street i think it was. We had our prom in Peoria and when were were still at dock a fire alarm or something activated at an office building along the river and they had an impressive turn out. I am sort of surprised that they have a residency requirement though.

Edit: Does anyone know if this is to hire or to establish a list?
    Last edited by firefighterox; 02-02-2007 at 06:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone know what they are looking for in a canidate?

Forum Member

All i saw was 18 at time of test 19 at time of appointment. High school diploma or GED. No FF2 or EMT. Pretty lax on what they want in a candidate.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not looking for another job, just curious:

What is their call volume?
    Manpower per shift?
    Number of houses?
    Starting pay?
    Any involvement in EMS? I know they don't transport. I've read about their controversy over ambulances in the past.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFDredhat126 View Post
    I'm not looking for another job, just curious:

What is their call volume?
    Manpower per shift?
    Number of houses?
    Starting pay?
    Any involvement in EMS? I know they don't transport. I've read about their controversy over ambulances in the past.
    I found a few answers already:

11,000 calls annually
    191 personnel in the Division of Fire Operations, over 200 total
    12 houses
    They have an EMS division, but it's not really clear on how they function.

http://www.ci.peoria.il.us/services/.../about.asp#ems

Forum Member

Most stations are bls engines except central and the 13 house where rescue 1 and rescue 2 are housed. Engine 11 was closed and Truck 3 went up to the 11's so they run a bls ladder. Alot of there guys are medics, like i said they see a good amount of fire and have some pretty nasty accidents in town. They are good group of guys and will go anywhere they are called and help out. The older guys are grandfathered in not having to live in the city, when you get hired now you have to live in the city for the first 5 years then you can move out into the county. I just know the basics about them but if you have a question on hiring just ask and i will talk to my buddy and try and get them answered for you.

Forum Member

EFD, can you find out if this is to hire or just establish a list?

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone know how many applicants they usually have take the written and how many they're looking to hire off this list?

Forum Member

anybody know what the best way to get an app is gonna be? i tried emailing but havent gotten a response yet. any advice would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

I called human resources and they had an app in my mailbox the next day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone taking the written exam and know about the process with the city?

Forum Member

any one gonna take the peoria test?? I turned in my app but i was kinda banking on a buddy turning one in too and now that he didnt i dont know if im gonna take it just because its so far down there.

MembersZone Subscriber

ill be takin the test. along with a couple of my buddies.

Unhappy No CRETS?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterox View Post
    All i saw was 18 at time of test 19 at time of appointment. High school diploma or GED. No FF2 or EMT. Pretty lax on what they want in a candidate.
    So they don't want anyone with any cert.....? I will be pretty upset if that is the case. I dont really believe in that. I mena doesnt it show that you have a drive to go out and get it on your own.....? Eh whatever I guess I'll have to cross my fingers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Excellent piece on Peoria FD

From the Peoria Journal Star:
    Under fire

Meet the 21st century Peoria firefighter. Learn how safety comes first.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

By RYAN ORI

OF THE JOURNAL STAR

Firefighter Brian Rosinski carries 70 or 80 pounds of equipment and tools into a burning house.
    That might seem like a lot, but it's at least 20 pounds lighter than when he joined the Peoria Fire Department 10 years ago.

"Technology's come a long way," Rosinski said. "Every year it seems like there's better and better advancements. They figure a better, lighter, more heat resistant way to make stuff. Maintenance is a lot easier on it, and it gives you better peace of mind. Safety's a lot better."

The city hasn't experienced a firefighting death since Capt. Vernon "Butch" Gudat perished during an apartment fire on Main Street on Jan. 23, 1983.

"We try to be real safety conscious," Rosinski said. "We try to be careful and stay together as a group. We watch one another's backs. The whole thing is teamwork.

"The engine goes in and puts the fire out. The truck company ventilates the roofs and the windows. The rescue squad is searching. Every little aspect of it is a team thing."

Still, the PFD continues to seek gear that cuts down on injuries and helps rescue citizens more effectively.

Gone are the days of heavy, rubberized suits that left areas of skin exposed to the heat.

Military and space-age advancements are adapted for firefighting. All gear is inspected regularly and must meet National Fire Protection Association guidelines.

Fire-resistant fibers such as Kevlar, PBI and Nomex provide a lighter head-to-toe outfit.

Vehicles and firefighting accessories also have seen tremendous advances.

At a cost of $14,000 each, thermal imaging cameras might seem like a luxury. But Greg Walters, chief of fire prevention for the Peoria Fire Department, said they're a vital tool in low-visibility situations.

"It's a very sought-after piece of equipment," Walters said. "We're very fortunate. We're one of the only communities that I'm aware of that has one on every piece of first-response equipment. That is not the norm. We were able to get that years ago through a fund drive done by community leaders here in town."

The hand-held cameras have been used in Peoria for about 10 years. The newest models are smaller and easier to carry.

"We originally purchased two of them and had them in our battalion chiefs' cars," Walters said. "We had a fire down on Madison Street, which unfortunately turned out to be a fatality of a young boy. On the same token, we were able to save his father and sister as a result of the thermal imaging camera. The smoke was so thick that when they went in the front door there was zero visibility.

"The first arriving fire truck got the thermal imaging camera from the battalion chief, and as they went in the building they scanned to the left, into what we later found out was the living room. They found the heat signature of the father and the daughter lying on the ground, passed out due to smoke inhalation. They were able to pull them out. If it hadn't been for that camera, we might not have found them in time."

Another major change from Walters' first day with the PFD in 1983 is the encapsulation of each firefighter. Hoods, air packs and see-through face pieces allow firefighters to cover all skin and to breathe clean air.

"When I first came on, we had a lot of guys who would never wear them," Walters said. "They thought you wasted too much time putting the air on. Well, we found out you can work longer in that hazardous environment and do a lot more, and you're a lot safer. You never know what's in the air when something's burning. Carcinogens are floating all over the place."

When the air pack is turned on, a PASS (personal alert safety system) is automatically activated. The PASS is programmed to send off a piercing sound if a firefighter is motionless and in need of assistance.

"It gives an audible tone for us to follow," Walters said. "They are very successful.

"When you watch videos of 9-11, those high screeches you hear are the PASS devices activated on the dead firefighters. That's eerie. We knew exactly what we were hearing when we saw the videos, and it just pulls your heartstrings."

Equipped fire engines can cost around $200,000, with ladder trucks running as high as $750,000. Vehicles can be used for about 20 years.

In addition to Peoria's fire engines, ladder trucks, rescue squads and battalion-chief vehicles, the department owns several specialty vehicles.

The dive-rescue team has a van and a trailer with two motorized, inflatable boats. A 27-foot rescue and firefighting boat is docked on the Illinois River. More than 90 of the department's 200-plus employees are trained on the hazardous-materials response vehicle. And a technical-rescue vehicle contains specialty equipment for tasks such as high-angle and trench rescues.

Each of Peoria's 12 firehouses includes a workout room, a key element for men and women who lug around an extra 70-80 pounds during parts of their 24-hour shifts.

"We have it in our contract now that we're supposed to work out an hour a day," Rosinski said. "Most guys already had a workout routine, though. We know we need to be in shape."
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

will still be taking the written test even though i considered not taking it because its a long way to drive by myself but i guess i will have to start testing on my own sooner or later, might as well make it sooner.

Forum Member

good luck to all taking the peoria test tomorrow, i'm feeling relatively confident i know what im doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody heard what they're doing as far as interviews?

MembersZone Subscriber

Any updates for Peoria? I was not able to get my EMT-B until after August but sent it in anyway. Hopefully it still helps. The letter said they weren't looking to hire till at least the first of the year but I thought they would have started the process before that. Maybe they have and I'm just not one that he picked first. Any news from the people with connections would be appreciated.

Thread Information