Thread: I Like This

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up I Like This

For all the slagging I do on the French, I like this idea. {Siskel and Ebert gave it a "Two Thumbs Up"}

France Considers Naps At Work For Health

POSTED: 9:59 am EST January 31, 2007

PARIS -- The French already enjoy a 35-hour work week and generous vacations. Now the health minister wants to look into whether workers should be allowed to sleep on the job.

France launched plans this week to spend $9 million this year to improve public awareness about sleeping troubles. About one in three French people suffer from them, the ministry said.

Fifty-six percent of French complain that a poor night's sleep has affected their job performance, according to the ministry.

"Why not a nap at work? It can't be a taboo subject," Health Minister Xavier Bertrand said Monday. He called for further studies and said he would promote on-the-job naps if they prove useful.

France's state-run health insurance provider will send letters explaining the importance of good sleep. The Health Ministry's Web site offers tips on how best to get a good night's rest.

The ministry's online "Passport to Sleep" recommends cutting down on coffee, tea, colas and athletic activity after 8 p.m., shunning TV time or working late in the evening, and listening better to the body's own sleep signals, such as yawning.

Bertrand said sleepiness causes 20 percent to 30 percent of highway accidents across France each year.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got back from two weeks in Mexico, and with the temperature difference, and 30+ degree humid afternoons, I really got into the whole Siesta thing.

Now I just have to tell my boss that I may have to keep that routine until I can slowly work my way back out of it.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Where do I sign up? This would definitely be nice on those mornings when the previous night went on a little too long.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Study: New Passion Pill Increases Sexual Desire In Women

POSTED: 10:27 pm EST February 1, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:25 am EST February 2, 2007

WASHINGTON -- A new health condition about which we don't often hear is young women losing interest in sex.

The condition is called Hypo-active Sexual Desire Disorder, or HSDD, and local doctors are testing a medication to treat it.

"It's hard to talk about. Who wants to admit they're having no sex or sex problems?" a 27-year-old woman named Sasha said.

Sasha has agreed to open up about an intimate issue because it might help somebody else.

"Sex -- you don't think that's a problem at a young age, but it is when you're in a monogamous relationship and you don't want it," Sasha said.

Sasha said she has been involved with the same man for seven years but started to lose interest in the sexual side of their relationship a couple of years ago.

"I didn't think about it, want to hear about it. It just didn't interest me at all," Sasha said. "It went from somewhat all the time to zero, and it just made me look at myself like, what's wrong?"

Sasha has HSDD.

It's the most common type of female sexual dysfunction, usually linked to the hormonal changes through which women go after menopause.

Research shows that an estimated 20 percent of women who have not gone through menopause have a low sex drive or lose interest in sex.

It's not clear what causes HSDD in young women, but doctors are testing a medication to treat it.

That medication -- a drug -- doesn't involve hormones.

"This is a drug that works in the brain and changes one's thoughts from non-interest in sex to normal interest in sex," Dr. James Simon said.

The drug is called Flibanserin. Initially, it was tested as an antidepressant, but it didn't really work.

That is when doctors discovered a surprising side effect.

"Even in severely depressed patients, particularly women, they showed an increase in their sexual desire," Simon said.

Flibanserin is now being studied as a possible treatment for HSDD in women between the ages of 18 and 45.

Women are asked to take the pills twice a day.

"This requires, we think, about a month's worth of taking it, for it to kick in," Simon said. "It is most likely to work while a woman is taking it. We don't know if it will have a persistent effect once she discontinues."

Sasha said she doesn't know if she's taking a placebo or the real thing in the clinical trial, but something's happening.

When asked if it had an effect on her interest in sex, Sasha said, "A big impact."

Doctors said they haven't seen any serious side effects with the medication, but that's one of the things for which they are looking in the study.

Doctors said that even if the drug is effective, it could be at least two years before it's widely available.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

Now aint that strange? Last night on the news they were talking about this disorder.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Talking

In the good old days it would have only taken a couple of drinks and maybe a Spanish Fly to get them going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench View Post
    In the good old days it would have only taken a couple of drinks and maybe a Spanish Fly to get them going.
    "Candy's dandy but liquor's quicker" is how it went.Spanish Fly was just something my cousin bragged about but it never worked.

Thread Information