Thread: Accountability

Forum Member

Default Accountability

What do you use?
    How do you store your personnel's personal info?medications,allergies etc.So know one can see it until they need to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 04crow View Post
    What do you use?
    a "cow tag" system - each member has a plastic tag w/ a snap lock clip on it that has their name and the FD name engraved on it. Tags are color coded to rank (bad idea for a VFD where this may change from year to year).

Each apparatus has a "Medium" sized ring with a snap lock clip on it ( ~3") with the Apparatus name & FD name on it. They also all carry a large (~5") master ring.

First truck on scene become the Tag in point until an accountability officer (aka tag collector) is assigned. If you actually rode in on a piece you clip to it's tag - if you arrived POV then you clip directly to the master ring.

It's a far cry from a great system and since we don't have handhelds for members then routine PAR checks are pretty much out as well - but considering when I started there in '93 they didn't have anything - it's a start.

What do you use?
    How do you store your personnel's personal info?medications,allergies etc.So know one can see it until they need to.
    Simple - we don't.
    I have seen systems that use a purpose made system with something similar to a luggage tag. All your info is written (or printed) on a standard form, folded and placed in the tag, then a card with all your accountability info is placed in the tag (face out) and the pocket is sealed. Tags are collected and placed in your choice of systems and in the event of an emergency - your tag is opened and your medical info. is readily available.

Down side - tags can be bulky on an accountability board / tracking system & changes in your medical history mean that a new form must be filled out and a new tag made.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

the way out dept. handles accountability is an ID card system. we have our pictures taken and put on the front of a hard plastic card (like a drivers license kind of). On the back of the card is our emergency contact info, allergies, our basic info (such as name, address, etc.) and on the front of the card is our name, picture, certs (such as FF1, FF2, Haz-mat awareness/ops/tech, MRT, EMT, Paramedic). The way our accountability works is you have your ID tag, when you arrive on scene (whether it be on a piece of aparatus or your POV) you go see the IC or whoever is designated as the accounability officer and give them your tag. they will then clip it on the board with a team of people and designate you as team 1,2,3,etc, RIT, roof, IC, etc. When you are done, you go back and see the accountability officer and retrieve your tag. it works pretty good here.

Forum Member

We have to small name tags velcro'd to the underside of our helmet brims. First tag goes to IC, when you get on the scene and get orders. If you enter a structure, the other tag goes to the officer standing at the door.

Forum Member

OKay thanks we do have a tag system in place.But I feel we lack so things and want to improve things a little.
    How bout if some one gets hurt on scene do you know who that person wants to be notified that they are injured?
    Do we know if they are on any meds or allergic to anything?
    This is my biggest concern in a volunteer system.I think these are things that need to be readily accessible god forbid when a firefighter goes down.Is there any systems out there that I may be able to utilize?

Forum Member

OKay thanks we do have a tag system in place.But I feel we lack so things and want to improve things a little.
    How bout if some one gets hurt on scene do you know who that person wants to be notified that they are injured?
    Do we know if they are on any meds or allergic to anything?
    This is my biggest concern in a volunteer system.I think these are things that need to be readily accessible god forbid when a firefighter goes down.Is there any systems out there that I may be able to utilize?
    I have used a tag in the military that would work for this purpose. The laminated cards have the normal identification items on the outside (i.e. name, rank, unit, & specialized training), then on the inside is information about your personal doctor, blood type, allergies, notification phone#'s, and medical history. If a FF is injured and taken to the hospital, the medical staff just cuts the edge of the laminated card and is able to see the personal info (the outside of the card states to cut the card on the dotted line to obtain medical info). Hope this helps!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    I have used a tag in the military that would work for this purpose. The laminated cards have the normal identification items on the outside (i.e. name, rank, unit, & specialized training), then on the inside is information about your personal doctor, blood type, allergies, notification phone#'s, and medical history. If a FF is injured and taken to the hospital, the medical staff just cuts the edge of the laminated card and is able to see the personal info (the outside of the card states to cut the card on the dotted line to obtain medical info). Hope this helps!!
    Thanks it sure does.

Forum Member

Here's a link to the tags THEFIRENUT is talking about...

http://www.fire-rescueoutfitters.com...bility/pas.htm

Click the link about the medical info & it will show you a pic of the inside of the tag.

Once you seal the tag, the medical info cannot be viewed by anone unless they cut the tag open on 3 sides & then it is obvious someone has tampered with it. LOTS of depts. in my area (all volunteer, some with 100+ members)use it with great success.

Hope this helps. Stay Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

We're in the process of implementing our system. We're going to go with either the helmet passports, or the plastic tags with velcro. The passports will be used along with a tactical board that is basically our tactical worksheet, only larger.

Forum Member

My old department used to have a dry erase board that someone was assigned to keep track of who showed up.We were all supposed to check in but there started to be a few guys that would just freelance when they showed up.
    Now,they've added engraved plastic tags to the system.Anyone who shows up HAS to hand one of the tags to the accountability guy(not always an ossifer or even a guy)before beginning work on scene.
    No one leaves until all tags have been matched up with assignments and everyone gets eyed by the "keeper of the board" as that worthy hands the tag back.There is no"Hey Jimmy's with me.I'll give his tag to him."
    Nope,Jimmy's got to get his own tag so they know he is still walking and okay.
    The medical info is on file in a locked drawer back at the station.
    We only used the cattle tags at the Jackson Purchase Fire Association schools and they were the type you cut open to find the members medical details if they needed to go to the veterinarian.

Forum Member

Thumbs down FireTrax

Were staring the new firetrax system, the universal Goverment system. Hey, wheres Johnny ... <.< >.> ... gota go

Thread Information