Thread: Iso ?

Forum Member

Default Iso ?

If one of your engines fails service test, will it still receive credit for an engine company? Item 513 --- partial credit? Also on your pump capacity item 532 , will it receive partial credit or do you completely subtract it? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a reserve pumper that wouldn't pass pump test at the time of our inspection. We received full credit as a reserve engine, but the pump test points were prorated (I can't remember the formula). The ISO evaluator had to witness the engine moving water to get this credit, though we didn't have to do the full pump test setup from draft. The engine in question has since been retired.

We had another engine fail test this year (it has an American Godiva pump and has been a headache for some time now). ISO offered to "re-rate" our credit for the pumper based on what it will actually do at pump test. I assume they would want to witness that as well, but they didn't suggest anything like a full UL recertification with a new pump plate , etc.

I think we're banking on this engine getting replaced, so repairs are not planned at this time.

Hope this helps.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Thanks , its not really what I wanted to hear --- we run a 40 year old engine as second out and this year it finally failed pump test. Hoping ISO would give us o credit for it, finally opening up the councils eyes. Im gonna check with our rep next week to confirm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Thanks , its not really what I wanted to hear --- we run a 40 year old engine as second out and this year it finally failed pump test. Hoping ISO would give us o credit for it, finally opening up the councils eyes. Im gonna check with our rep next week to confirm.
    Read the fine print. I believe they will give credit but it has to pump what it was designed to, however they also say they want to see one vehicle that is close to NFPA 1901 compliant for current standards. Kind of double standard, but you also can look at the 1901 appendix that says vehicle built prior to 1991 (?) should be reserve and much older than that replaced due to safety upgrades.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is right. Depending on what inspector comes to see you of course. Our last inspection was by a guy who was ready to retire and was lax a bit. All of our trucks passed the pump tests no problem, but he really didn't care about that either. And really, that is a small part of the scoring process.

If your pumper does not pass the pump test, the rules say you willl not get credit as a front line, Class A pumper. You would only get credit for it as a "reserve" engine which is about half the points. However, this is based on the discretion of the inspector. It kinda sucks, but if you get a rookie right out of the chute, you might get "lucky" and he would gig you on it.

You can read all about it at their website:

http://www.iso.com/products/2400/prod2404.html

Your business is your business but I wouldn't hope for that to happen. I would direct my attention to the safety of the vehicle itself. (operation, engine, pump, components, etc.) If you make it a "safety hazard" people tend to want to fix it more than just saying its old and doesn't work. That's just me.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

Why does the pumper fail? One could make the arguement that it can not be safe to use an unreliable peice as part of an offensive fire attack. We are in the same boat with two trucks. One is being repaired, the second will be taken from service upon repair of the other. The first pumper will not pass its capacity test no matter what due to damaged impellors, so its getting a $15K pumper overhaul (1999 engine). The second peice is a 1978 that was being replaced this year and will meet capacity but at 11% over its allowable RPM's (NFPA allows 10% max?). At issue is whether one can count on the truck not failing if it pumps capacity for a long period at the higher RPM's aqs it was not designed to. It's not hard taking a truck out of service when you have a Union to requiring safe equipment and the only way to prove it's safe is for it to meet the standards.

Thread Information