Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Victoria Fd In The News

Kuul story from my home town.

Rescuers save man from plunge down shaft

Carolyn Heiman and Rob Shaw, Times Colonist Published: Friday, February 02, 2007

Victoria firefighters pulled off one of the most unusual rescues in recent memory yesterday, saving a man in an electric scooter who was dangling precariously over a four-storey elevator shaft at 1322 Blanshard St.

"This has been my worst day in years," said David Hodgkinson last night as he recounting the harrowing tale.

The 44-year-old said he was leaving his fourth floor apartment "in a rush" on his way to an appointment around 9 a.m. As the elevator doors opened, he said he drove forward on his scooter, failing to notice that the elevator wasn't there, it was just an empty shaft.

"The front wheel went over" and the scooter tipped forward, leaving Hodgkinson in the seat but looking down the drop-off.

Only Hodgkinson's right hand -- which was pinned between the door and the scooter -- kept him from tipping over and plunging four floors, said Lieut. Mark Wells, one of the Victoria Fire Department officers who responded to the call.

"He was basically seated in his chair staring at the bottom of the elevator shaft," said Wells. "He was hanging by his right arm."

It is likely his cries for help alerted other building residents, who called 911, said Wells.

"I was screaming bloody murder," Hodgkinson said. "I kept telling the rescuers I was going to let go and they kept saying 'No, no, no, you can't do that.' They kept telling me that 15 to 20 times."

The first police officers on scene grabbed the back of the four-wheel scooter to keep it from falling.

The elevator itself was on the first floor. Emergency crews cut power to prevent it from moving up and crushing the man.

Rescue crews managed to get a rope around Hodgkinson and the scooter. Two firefighters climbed the elevator shaft and used a harness to lower the man to the safety of the third floor, said Wells.

Hodgkinson was taken to hospital to be examined but was released shortly after. He said he had a sore wrist.

Hodgkinson, who uses a scooter several times a week due to a chronic illness that causes fatigue, said there have been ongoing problems with the elevator door.

But the building manager denied the accusation, said Const. Lori Beauvais. Elevator repair crews spent yesterday examining the site.

"It was a very difficult rescue, and the firefighters and the police did a great job," Wells said. More than 16 Victoria firefighters (almost the entire duty shift) and seven high-angle rescue firefighters from Saanich participated in the rescue.

"It's one of those unique calls you might see once in your career," said Wells. "But the outcome was good in the end."

Hodgkinson said the rescue took an hour but it felt like an eternity.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Good save! Everyone involved gets an extra cookie after dinner tonight!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I heard a slightly different version on the news. Was going to post the story tonight but now I don't have to. LOL.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7

"This has been my worst day in years," said David Hodgkinson last night as he recounting the harrowing tale.
    Holy cow, what else could happen that would even approach this?
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Kuul story from my home town.

Rescuers save man from plunge down shaft

Carolyn Heiman and Rob Shaw, Times Colonist Published: Friday, February 02, 2007

Victoria firefighters pulled off one of the most unusual rescues in recent memory yesterday, saving a man in an electric scooter who was dangling precariously over a four-storey elevator shaft at 1322 Blanshard St.

The 44-year-old said he was leaving his fourth floor apartment "in a rush" on his way to an appointment around 9 a.m. As the elevator doors opened, he said he drove forward on his scooter, failing to notice that the elevator wasn't there, it was just an empty shaft.

"The front wheel went over" and the scooter tipped forward, leaving Hodgkinson in the seat but looking down the drop-off.

Only Hodgkinson's right hand -- which was pinned between the door and the scooter -- kept him from tipping over and plunging four floors, said Lieut. Mark Wells, one of the Victoria Fire Department officers who responded to the call.

"He was basically seated in his chair staring at the bottom of the elevator shaft," said Wells. "He was hanging by his right arm."

It is likely his cries for help alerted other building residents, who called 911, said Wells.

"I was screaming bloody murder," Hodgkinson said. "I kept telling the rescuers I was going to let go and they kept saying 'No, no, no, you can't do that.' They kept telling me that 15 to 20 times."

The first police officers on scene grabbed the back of the four-wheel scooter to keep it from falling.

The elevator itself was on the first floor. Emergency crews cut power to prevent it from moving up and crushing the man.

Rescue crews managed to get a rope around Hodgkinson and the scooter. Two firefighters climbed the elevator shaft and used a harness to lower the man to the safety of the third floor, said Wells.

Hodgkinson was taken to hospital to be examined but was released shortly after. He said he had a sore wrist.

Hodgkinson, who uses a scooter several times a week due to a chronic illness that causes fatigue, said there have been ongoing problems with the elevator door.

But the building manager denied the accusation, said Const. Lori Beauvais. Elevator repair crews spent yesterday examining the site.

"It was a very difficult rescue, and the firefighters and the police did a great job," Wells said. More than 16 Victoria firefighters (almost the entire duty shift) and seven high-angle rescue firefighters from Saanich participated in the rescue.

"It's one of those unique calls you might see once in your career," said Wells. "But the outcome was good in the end."

Hodgkinson said the rescue took an hour but it felt like an eternity.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

Dangling man rescued from elevator shaft
    Click here to find out more!

Rob Shaw, Times Colonist
    Published: Thursday, February 01, 2007

Victoria firefighters pulled off one of the most unique rescues in recent memory today, saving a man in an electric scooter who was dangling precariously over a four-storey elevator shaft.

Watch the CH News report

The 44-year-old lost control of his scooter on the fourth floor of his Blanshard Street apartment building around 9 a.m.

He hurtled into the elevator door, bending it forward and off its anchors. His scooter slid through the opening and was stuck perched on the edge of the drop-off.

Only the man’s right hand — which was pinned between the door and the scooter — kept him from tipping over and plunging four floors, said Lieut. Mark Wells, one of the Victoria Fire Department officers who responded to the call.

“He was basically seated in his chair staring at the bottom of the elevator shaft,” said Wells. “He was hanging by his right arm.”

It is likely his cries for help alerted other building residents who called 911, said Wells.

The elevator itself was on the first floor, and emergency crews cut power to prevent it from moving and crushing the man.

Rescue crews managed to get a rope around the man and the scooter. Two firefighters climbed the elevator shaft and used a harness to lower the man to the safety of the third floor, said Wells.

He was taken to hospital to be examined, but wasn’t seriously hurt, said Wells.

“Physically, he’s good. But he’s going to be sore, his upper-limbs specially.”

The man told Victoria police he had noticed problems with the elevator door in the past, but the building manager denied the accusation, said Const. Lori Beauvais. Elevator repair crews spent yesterday examining the site.

The man was “fairly lucky” he survived the accident, said Wells.

“It was a very difficult rescue, and the firefighters and the police did a great job,” he said. More than 16 Victoria firefighters (almost the entire duty shift) and seven high-angle rescue firefighters from Saanich participated in the rescue.

“It’s one of those unique calls you might see once in your career,” said Wells. “But the outcome was good in the end.”
    © Times Colonist 2007

And the video has a few things slightly different as well. Here's the News report with footage at the scene if anyone is interested.

http://video.canada.com/VideoContent.aspx?fl=1&popup=1

Awesome job!

Two days ago (at Bay and Douglas) the Fire Department had a propane tank that was on fire .... well, I'm not sure what the final consensus was but I believe the tank was leaking and they burned it off on purpose. Of course, at first everyone was in a panic because it was such an impressive/serious looking event (according to the radio reports while it was happening).
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information