Forum Member

Post Does your FD have a Bd of Commissioners !

Any Vol fire departments run by a Board Of Fire Commissioners,if so do you have to be a part of a " CLICK " to get new equipment, higher ranking, or to become a driver ? Please feel free to voice your option.

Forum Member

Yep we have a Board of Commissioners. At the moment I am having my doubts about their usefulness. Instead of representing the volunteers they seem to let the county run right over us without saying a word.

Forum Member

Wink We're not all like that

in Missouri we're called Directors rather than commissioners, I am the one the guys come to when they need or want something, in fact I just got off the phone with 2 of my FF's who are at winter fire school, they found a great deal on some demo bunker gear, I made a couple calls and called them back and gave them the OK to but 3 set's.

I took 3 days off work to fly to Dallas to attend one of Kurt's seminars so maybe I can get them some of Uncle Sugar's money this year too.

Forum Member

Thumbs up 5 Member Board

The Board Of Fire Commissioners that run departments in New Jersey are made up of five members who are elected by the voters of the town they live in.They are paid about $ 3,500 - $ 5,000 per year for there services such as meetings, purchasing, acounting, staffing, etc. The election this year is on Feb 17,2007 from 2pm-9pm not many people go out to vote for fire department budgets. If you are not happy with your present board members this is the time to voice your option and " remove them from office ".

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in southern MO, we have a board of directors, made up of boardmembers.

My department has 7, I am one.

I am also the Chief. I can honestly say that my board has NEVER gone
    against one of my decisions - maybe some heated discussion now and then,
    but down to the wire, they have agreed. Great board.

Unpaid board.

Do you have to be part of a "clique" to be promoted, get new gear, etc on our department? Nope. You just have to show to the Chief desire to be a good firefighter, show up for training, make calls, have a good attitude. (NO DRAMA)

My board has no impact on any of the items you mentioned.

Forum Member

New to the boards here so bare with me here. I am a Vol. FF and I am also on our local board. No one is on a paid position and we all represent our respective stations. We take concerns from our stations to the board meetings which are held twice a month and depending on the budget and needs of our parish, we get what we need, not neccesarily what want! Its a good system for what we are....small and relaint on each other......Dave

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The Board Of Fire Commissioners that run departments in New Jersey are made up of five members who are elected by the voters of the town they live in.They are paid about $ 3,500 - $ 5,000 per year for there services such as meetings, purchasing, acounting, staffing, etc. The election this year is on Feb 17,2007 from 2pm-9pm not many people go out to vote for fire department budgets. If you are not happy with your present board members this is the time to voice your option and " remove them from office ".
    *nods* That's just about everything I was gonna say.
    Janvier Volunteer Fire Company
    Station 43-2
    ~~~
    New Jersey Forest Fire Service
    South Jersey
    Division C Section 9
    C25

Forum Member

No districts/board of commissioners here.

Our Board of Fire Officers runs the department.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    No districts/board of commissioners here.

Our Board of Fire Officers runs the department.
    Is the Point Pleasant Fire Department operated by a budget from the town, and who funds any new apparatus purchases ?

Forum Member

As far as I know, the Point Pleasant Fire Department is funded by their town and the town purchases their trucks most of the time. They have, once in a while, purchased/leased their own. But I'm not positive as I am not a member there.

The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department is funded as a line item in the town's overall budget. No fire tax, we're just a little piece of the big pie. Way too little. Our Board of Officers submit a budget request each year and as long as we only go for a 3% increase, there is no problem getting it. We (the town) bond a new truck every 5 years and keep them running for 20. There is no approval process or request process for items to purchase, that is left up to us as they are politicians and don't know much about firefighting.

There's good and bad to what we have compared to nearby towns that have districts and fire taxes and commissioners and such.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

As far as I know, the Point Pleasant Fire Department is funded by their town and the town purchases their trucks most of the time. They have, once in a while, purchased/leased their own. But I'm not positive as I am not a member there.

The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department is funded as a line item in the town's overall budget. No fire tax, we're just a little piece of the big pie. Way too little. Our Board of Officers submit a budget request each year and as long as we only go for a 3% increase, there is no problem getting it. We (the town) bond a new truck every 5 years and keep them running for 20. There is no approval process or request process for items to purchase, that is left up to us as they are politicians and don't know much about firefighting.

There's good and bad to what we have compared to nearby towns that have districts and fire taxes and commissioners and such.
    Here in Woodbridge Township we have a total of nine fire districts with different fire taxes for each town, a new fire truck must be placed on the ballet for voter approval with capital funds. Any new apparatus can be purchased with a bond or outright capital money saved by the fire department !

Forum Member

Default Nope

All we have is the officer board that makes dissions and then Takes it to the Town Board <.< >.> who has no clue what to do with a fire department.

Forum Member

Fire District Board here. 5 members. They basically oversee the finances of the department and approve purchases over $5,000. Appoint Fire Chief. Approve appointment of Deputy and Asst. Chief. Approve appointment of full-time personnel (we have a career Asst. Chief and 3 career firefighters). Other than that they have no say in officer selection.

They basically stay out of the fire side. All decisions tregarding operations are made by the chief. Drivers approved through the training officer. They know that they do not know about the fire business, but they are all businessmen and understand how to handle money.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Fire District Board here. 5 members. They basically oversee the finances of the department and approve purchases over $5,000. Appoint Fire Chief. Approve appointment of Deputy and Asst. Chief. Approve appointment of full-time personnel (we have a career Asst. Chief and 3 career firefighters). Other than that they have no say in officer selection.

They basically stay out of the fire side. All decisions tregarding operations are made by the chief. Drivers approved through the training officer. They know that they do not know about the fire business, but they are all businessmen and understand how to handle money.
    The board of fire commissoiners here in N.J. oversee the finances, approve purchases , appoint career firefighters. The volly firefighters pick there own chief, asst chief, capt. etc. To become a commissioner you must live in the fire district and be elected by the voters !..

Forum Member

Post Voting

Did anyone go out to vote on Feb 17,2007 for the fire district elections in N.J. Most years there is a very low turnout of voters, unless they have to approve or disapprove the purchase of a 0ne millon dollar fire apparatus and there property taxes go up !....

Forum Member

From what I have heard, turnout in the areas near me that have districts was low....as normal.

Forum Member

Unhappy

From what I have heard, turnout in the areas near me that have districts was low....as normal.
    We had only 15 voters at the polls to vote on the 2007 budget and three fire commissioners. It is a pretty said feeling when your citizens don't care!... then again the elections are not advertized to the public much. Only a small write up in the Home News Tribune paper the day before the fire district elections.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Voting for commissioners...

Its not always a matter of people not caring its a matter of people not knowing their town is volunteer. There are numerous calls we respond to that people are amazed that we are not a paid department despite fund raising mailers that get sent out every year..
    Last edited by djmiller6; 02-19-2007 at 10:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our city council serves as our board of directors. We're combo city/rural, rural property owners pay memberships to the city department for protection (nonmembers are billed for response). Somewhere along the line, the council became the board as opposed to a board of the members/city residents.

Hopefully we'll get a tax-based district in this year and have an elected board.

MembersZone Subscriber

About 500 voters here.. in a town of close to 50k.

Maybe this is one area where Article 52 would be beneficial. If the Fire District elections were the same time as the regular Township/State/National election voter turnout would be much better.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an public-elected board, and they are given nominal compensation for their time and service. They appoint the Chief and have some approval sway over other career, part time and volunteer staff, but generally they let the Chief run the department as they should. If they don't like something he does, they can remove him, but likewise if they do something flaky like remove the Chief for the wrong reasons, the voters might remove them. Checks and balances, it works well.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    About 500 voters here.. in a town of close to 50k.

Maybe this is one area where Article 52 would be beneficial. If the Fire District elections were the same time as the regular Township/State/National election voter turnout would be much better.
    The state of New Jersey sould change the date of the fire district elections to ( NOV ) !

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The state of New Jersey sould change the date of the fire district elections to ( NOV ) !
    They're trying (From Article 52):
    An election shall be held annually on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November in each established fire district for the election of members of the board according to the expiration of terms using the same registration and on the same official ballot required by law for the election of State and county officers.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    They're trying (From Article 52):
    It's about time the State Of New Jersey wakes up and smells the coffee! They sould have done this 20 years ago .

MembersZone Subscriber

Careful what you wish for, moving the election to November will bring the politicians into the act. Good luck on ever getting a budget passed too. Put the comparatively small FD budget on the same ballot with bloated school budgets and your dead. NJ has plenty of property tax issues, what you pay for fire service in most parts ain't one of em!

Thread Information