Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post Does your FD have a Bd of Commissioners !

    Any Vol fire departments run by a Board Of Fire Commissioners,if so do you have to be a part of a " CLICK " to get new equipment, higher ranking, or to become a driver ? Please feel free to voice your option.


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Yep we have a Board of Commissioners. At the moment I am having my doubts about their usefulness. Instead of representing the volunteers they seem to let the county run right over us without saying a word.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    84

    Wink We're not all like that

    in Missouri we're called Directors rather than commissioners, I am the one the guys come to when they need or want something, in fact I just got off the phone with 2 of my FF's who are at winter fire school, they found a great deal on some demo bunker gear, I made a couple calls and called them back and gave them the OK to but 3 set's.

    I took 3 days off work to fly to Dallas to attend one of Kurt's seminars so maybe I can get them some of Uncle Sugar's money this year too.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Thumbs up 5 Member Board

    The Board Of Fire Commissioners that run departments in New Jersey are made up of five members who are elected by the voters of the town they live in.They are paid about $ 3,500 - $ 5,000 per year for there services such as meetings, purchasing, acounting, staffing, etc. The election this year is on Feb 17,2007 from 2pm-9pm not many people go out to vote for fire department budgets. If you are not happy with your present board members this is the time to voice your option and " remove them from office ".

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,923

    Default

    Here in southern MO, we have a board of directors, made up of boardmembers.

    My department has 7, I am one.

    I am also the Chief. I can honestly say that my board has NEVER gone
    against one of my decisions - maybe some heated discussion now and then,
    but down to the wire, they have agreed. Great board.

    Unpaid board.

    Do you have to be part of a "clique" to be promoted, get new gear, etc on our department? Nope. You just have to show to the Chief desire to be a good firefighter, show up for training, make calls, have a good attitude. (NO DRAMA)

    My board has no impact on any of the items you mentioned.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hall Summit, Louisiana
    Posts
    1

    Default

    New to the boards here so bare with me here. I am a Vol. FF and I am also on our local board. No one is on a paid position and we all represent our respective stations. We take concerns from our stations to the board meetings which are held twice a month and depending on the budget and needs of our parish, we get what we need, not neccesarily what want! Its a good system for what we are....small and relaint on each other......Dave

  7. #7
    Forum Member fortythreetwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Janvier, New Jersey
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The Board Of Fire Commissioners that run departments in New Jersey are made up of five members who are elected by the voters of the town they live in.They are paid about $ 3,500 - $ 5,000 per year for there services such as meetings, purchasing, acounting, staffing, etc. The election this year is on Feb 17,2007 from 2pm-9pm not many people go out to vote for fire department budgets. If you are not happy with your present board members this is the time to voice your option and " remove them from office ".
    *nods* That's just about everything I was gonna say.
    Janvier Volunteer Fire Company
    Station 43-2
    ~~~
    New Jersey Forest Fire Service
    South Jersey
    Division C Section 9
    C25

  8. #8
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,671

    Default

    No districts/board of commissioners here.

    Our Board of Fire Officers runs the department.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    No districts/board of commissioners here.

    Our Board of Fire Officers runs the department.
    Is the Point Pleasant Fire Department operated by a budget from the town, and who funds any new apparatus purchases ?

  10. #10
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,671

    Default

    As far as I know, the Point Pleasant Fire Department is funded by their town and the town purchases their trucks most of the time. They have, once in a while, purchased/leased their own. But I'm not positive as I am not a member there.

    The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department is funded as a line item in the town's overall budget. No fire tax, we're just a little piece of the big pie. Way too little. Our Board of Officers submit a budget request each year and as long as we only go for a 3% increase, there is no problem getting it. We (the town) bond a new truck every 5 years and keep them running for 20. There is no approval process or request process for items to purchase, that is left up to us as they are politicians and don't know much about firefighting.

    There's good and bad to what we have compared to nearby towns that have districts and fire taxes and commissioners and such.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    As far as I know, the Point Pleasant Fire Department is funded by their town and the town purchases their trucks most of the time. They have, once in a while, purchased/leased their own. But I'm not positive as I am not a member there.

    The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department is funded as a line item in the town's overall budget. No fire tax, we're just a little piece of the big pie. Way too little. Our Board of Officers submit a budget request each year and as long as we only go for a 3% increase, there is no problem getting it. We (the town) bond a new truck every 5 years and keep them running for 20. There is no approval process or request process for items to purchase, that is left up to us as they are politicians and don't know much about firefighting.

    There's good and bad to what we have compared to nearby towns that have districts and fire taxes and commissioners and such.
    Here in Woodbridge Township we have a total of nine fire districts with different fire taxes for each town, a new fire truck must be placed on the ballet for voter approval with capital funds. Any new apparatus can be purchased with a bond or outright capital money saved by the fire department !

  12. #12
    Forum Member pletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Holton, MI
    Posts
    55

    Default Nope

    All we have is the officer board that makes dissions and then Takes it to the Town Board <.< >.> who has no clue what to do with a fire department.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,557

    Default

    Fire District Board here. 5 members. They basically oversee the finances of the department and approve purchases over $5,000. Appoint Fire Chief. Approve appointment of Deputy and Asst. Chief. Approve appointment of full-time personnel (we have a career Asst. Chief and 3 career firefighters). Other than that they have no say in officer selection.

    They basically stay out of the fire side. All decisions tregarding operations are made by the chief. Drivers approved through the training officer. They know that they do not know about the fire business, but they are all businessmen and understand how to handle money.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Fire District Board here. 5 members. They basically oversee the finances of the department and approve purchases over $5,000. Appoint Fire Chief. Approve appointment of Deputy and Asst. Chief. Approve appointment of full-time personnel (we have a career Asst. Chief and 3 career firefighters). Other than that they have no say in officer selection.

    They basically stay out of the fire side. All decisions tregarding operations are made by the chief. Drivers approved through the training officer. They know that they do not know about the fire business, but they are all businessmen and understand how to handle money.
    The board of fire commissoiners here in N.J. oversee the finances, approve purchases , appoint career firefighters. The volly firefighters pick there own chief, asst chief, capt. etc. To become a commissioner you must live in the fire district and be elected by the voters !..

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post Voting

    Did anyone go out to vote on Feb 17,2007 for the fire district elections in N.J. Most years there is a very low turnout of voters, unless they have to approve or disapprove the purchase of a 0ne millon dollar fire apparatus and there property taxes go up !....

  16. #16
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,671

    Default

    From what I have heard, turnout in the areas near me that have districts was low....as normal.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    From what I have heard, turnout in the areas near me that have districts was low....as normal.
    We had only 15 voters at the polls to vote on the 2007 budget and three fire commissioners. It is a pretty said feeling when your citizens don't care!... then again the elections are not advertized to the public much. Only a small write up in the Home News Tribune paper the day before the fire district elections.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Parsippany - NJ
    Posts
    2

    Default Voting for commissioners...

    Its not always a matter of people not caring its a matter of people not knowing their town is volunteer. There are numerous calls we respond to that people are amazed that we are not a paid department despite fund raising mailers that get sent out every year..
    Last edited by djmiller6; 02-19-2007 at 09:51 PM.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Our city council serves as our board of directors. We're combo city/rural, rural property owners pay memberships to the city department for protection (nonmembers are billed for response). Somewhere along the line, the council became the board as opposed to a board of the members/city residents.

    Hopefully we'll get a tax-based district in this year and have an elected board.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    From what I have heard, turnout in the areas near me that have districts was low....as normal.
    About 500 voters here.. in a town of close to 50k.

    Maybe this is one area where Article 52 would be beneficial. If the Fire District elections were the same time as the regular Township/State/National election voter turnout would be much better.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Commissioners of Dept
    By cmjones in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2002, 01:18 AM
  2. Spring Hill Florida--Fire Department Works Towards Independance
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-14-2002, 06:53 AM
  3. Another Florida Fire Department Seeks Independance
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2002, 06:50 AM
  4. Are your commissioners bringing your department down?
    By KMG365 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2002, 10:49 PM
  5. Dealing with commissioners
    By bigdadi67 in forum Fire Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2001, 10:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts