Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Retirement Age is it a factor?

Should our Brothers and Sisters retire at a certain age when in the field of suppression. In Ontario Canada the NRA (Normal retirement age) was 60 yrs old but thanks to or government it is no longer. Simply put retire when your ready.
    I believe this will result in more LODD as well as great problems on the floor as their is no Physical requirement to stay because of age discrimination. Should safety of our fellow firefighters and citizens be sidelined for the sake of age discrimination? What do we say to thr younger generation when they cant get a firefighting job cause guys wont retire?

I understand their are active members now who should not be on the job because health issues and other reasons but thats another thread.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I believe this will result in more LODD as well as great problems on the floor as their is no Physical requirement to stay because of age discrimination. Should safety of our fellow firefighters and citizens be sidelined for the sake of age discrimination? What do we say to thr younger generation when they cant get a firefighting job cause guys wont retire?

Amen brother.

Exclamation LODD (70yrs old)

Just read that a 70 yr old male firefighter LODD. God bless but what is a 70 yr old man doing on the fireground? When does it end. Im not trying to discriminate my senoir firefighters but there are too many factors and reasons that there should be a retirement age for the fireservice. I use to say just in suppression but Im thinking Brass aswell.
    Any thoughts or comments out there or is this a dead issue.

Forum Member

I ain't much on the age limitations. How about if you can't meet the physical and mental requirements, you are released from the team?

We had a 60 year who could and would work the pants off of some of the younger guys (25-30).

Forum Member

Default age

in new york i believe the age is 64,and you have to retire that it.but in new york the brothers get annual medicals. ive seen some older brothers do the job twice as good as a younger guy. age is just a number.if you pass your mediccal i have no problem with 64 as the cutoff. jg.

I agree if you can do the job.. If you noticed I stated their are younger guys on the floor who are a risk as well. But in Ontario we got rid of the NRA 60.
    realistic you can stay until 80. Not many Citys have health requirements because you had no choice but to leave at 60. Now departments are behind the 8ball.

NY has a retirement age we now dont..Thats the problem. And some of the Locals are not going to want to introduce a Physical requirement because some of the young guys wont make it and they will have to leave maybe...

Im
    The "magic numbers" for retirement are 32 years at age 55 for 70 to 80% of your highest three years earnings, depending on which option you take.

I'll be 60 when I have my 32 years in.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Mandatory retirement at 65 here. Pension maxes out after 32 years and goes from 74% to 83% of final year salary, not including O.T. Can retire after 20, at 50%. but must be at least 48 years years old. Don't really see the point in staying longer than 32 years if they will give you 83% to stay home, but we still have those guys that won't retire because the job is pretty much all they have.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Mandatory retirement at age 60. Full pension at 25 years with no age requirement and pension maxes out at 35 years and is an average of your last 5. The retirement calculates at 2.5% for the first 25 years and 2.1% up to 35 years to maximum of 83.5% plus a 2.25% raise every year.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 02-08-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Forum Member

DC Gonz, is OT considered in those best 3 years. Is it best 3, or best 3 of last 5 years or something to that affect?

FireLT, is OT factored into the average last 5?

Just curious, as we are always looking for ideas to better the pension.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    FireLT, is OT factored into the average last 5?

Just curious, as we are always looking for ideas to better the pension.
    No O.T. is not a factor. The only people who get overtime are firefighters, officers don't get O.T.
    It does include longevity in the final compensation which is 4% of your base pay, plus we have a 2.25% per year escalator clause. We also have a system that allows you to remove your annuities (your 5% per pay for 25 years plus all interest earned over the time you were in the system) from the pension system. This cuts the pension by $200.00 to $250.00 a month. If you roll it over into a qualified account, the average monthly payment from that is $1500.00 a month for around 22 to 25 years, depending on the fund you roll it over to(I actually loved this part of our pension system). The pension system also has 3 options related to your spouse. You can leave her 50%, 75% or 100%. This will cost around $400.00 to $900.00 a month depending on the option, your age and the age difference between you and your spouse. You also have the option to purchase a reverse option which allows you to revert to a full pension if your spouse passes before you. The Police and Fire retirement system is actually one of the few things in Detroit that works and is run properly. The police and fire personnel have majority control of the pension board.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 02-08-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

Doesn't sound like a bad deal LT. We have alot of those benefits; Longevity, spouse clause. We also have $3500 flat rate differential added to our base pay for pension purposes. I like the idea of removing your annuities and rolling them into qualified accounts, that's something I'd like to hear more about. Currently guys are on their own here as far as that. Guys have Roth IRA's, ICMA Deferred Comp, etc. The ICMA is pretty popular, money is contributed by the individual as a percentage of pay or flat rate per week pre-tax, which isn't too bad. Thanks for the info.
    P.S sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread..

Forum Member

Ohio doesn't have a mandatory retirement age. The minimum for retirement is 48 years old AND 25 years of service. That gets you 60% of the average of your best 3 years. You max out after 32 years of service, at 72% (regardless of your age, as long as you're over 48 )

We had an Assistant Chief who stayed for 44 years, and a neighboring city had an A/C who stayed for over 50 years.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Thread Information