Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Usfs

Forum Member

Default Usfs

I am currently trying to get on a USFS engine as a seasonal. I have filled out the applications on avue digital services and I am wondering if anybody knows when I can expect a job opening. Also what else should I do to increase my chances of getting picked up? I am looking for an engine somewhere in or around the So Cal are. Thanks in advance for any input/help.

Get on the phone and call the places you applied for and let them you applied and to know to look for your app. Show them you want the job by making contact. Alot of times if you can talk to people your app will stand out..."Oh, this is that guy who keeps calling" type deal. Even better if it's local or close enough is to try and make contact face to face. There may be some other ways to get hired than avue, it depends on the forest & district level.

Good Luck
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Thank you very much, yea most of the stations where I want to get hired are local so I am planning on going down there to talk to the Captains and Supts. I am looking at Region 5, Tujunga Ranger District, Arroyo-Seco Ranger District, Saugus Ranger District, etc. All in the Angeles National Forest. If you know of any other sites that they pull from would you mind putting those up? Again, thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Forum Member

You also might want to look into type 2 AD crews, the Angeles runs several of these crews out of Little T.

http://www.firecrew77.com/

These on call crews are a great way to get your foot in the door and the hiring process is much less formal. The current hiring for the USFS is up in the air, it is still not clear if hiring will be done at the local level as in the past, at the regional level like last year or something else. If nothing else its a good back up plan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My advice........

After talkin' briefly to the ANF Crew that runs outta my Paid-Call Station, their suggestion was to keep taking classes to make yourself more marketable. I know our local Junior College hosts a Wildland Academy and upon completion, you may be placed on a handcrew. As far as goin' right to an Engine, it is feasible (at least on the ANF). What I've personally seen is that some of the guys that have been picked-up were from local Community Colleges that knew somebody. From this crew I have seen some great guys and then I have seen some lead weights...... but all in all, I love the guys in Green...... If not for them, it'd be use out there linin' fires and bustin' weeds. LOL.

So to summarize, get some education........ and get their attention by politely and professionally getting your name out there. Remember, just because they're not fully staffing all their Engines doesn't mean they aren't doing there winter/offseason projects. If you have a specialty in construction or that type of skill...... offer it up to the local USFS Station.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Thank you for the help. I have my S-130, S-190, I-100, and I am currently enrolled in the Wildland FF academy at the local J.C. I am also scheduled to take my S-212 class in the next month. I have been an explorer for the past 2 years and I am on a type II crew that is just starting up. I would really like to get a few seasons under my belt on an engine then move over to a hotshot crew if it is feasible. I am just finding the Avue Digital Services site difficult to operate and I am a little confused by the way the USFS hires. But thanks again to everyone for the input. If anybody has anymore help/insight, keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseMott View Post
    I am currently trying to get on a USFS engine as a seasonal. I have filled out the applications on avue digital services and I am wondering if anybody knows when I can expect a job opening. Also what else should I do to increase my chances of getting picked up? I am looking for an engine somewhere in or around the So Cal are. Thanks in advance for any input/help.
    Go to the station and let them have a look at you.
    I know that cdf ( excuse me...Cal Fire) requires you to turn in your app by hand at all the socal units.
    It never hurts to make yourself known. Keep hassling them and eventually they will pick you up.

Forum Member

Thank you, I am starting to do that this week

Thread Information