+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Webteam,

It is easy to fix this.

Appoint volunteer moderators. 1-2 per forum subject, ie,

1-2 for wildland firefighting

1-2 federal fire act grants and funding

1-2 industrial firefighting.

Look for moderators that are active here, and have moderated forums in the past, such as FIDO, Yahoogroups, other forum pages, etc. There does not seem to be a shortage of volunteers.

By having moderators over specific areas, it splits up the responsiblity, avoiding burnout, as well as avoiding the situation where old Joe the Moderator with moderator privelages everywhere on the board gets tired
    of old Jane and creates issues on the entire forum. It also prevents old Joe from coming home late Saturday night after being at the bar, and terrorizing the entire board.

Keeps people from flipping out their "netcop" badge too.

I don't think voting for moderators is a great idea, moderator should not be a popularity vote.

Let these moderators have the ability to delete posts at the minimum, and to
    freeze a thread. Think how easy your mondays will be then!

Just some thoughts.

Forum Member

I lost interest in this website when I was having problems and the Webteam never responded to my questions. I was not the only one with these problems because several users posted the same problem on various threads. So I felt compelled to write the Webteam one more time. Thanks to all of you who lend your experience and education to others but I'm done with FH.

Post to Webteam:

Can you do something about this? This is ridiculous. I thought it was bad that five of my questions to the webteam went unanswered but this tops the cake. My faith in this website is gone. See ya at fire engineering!
    Last edited by Ladder5B; 02-04-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Just because

Earth to webteam.... you might want to do something before your forum members, MembersZone Subscribers, magazine subscribers, and advertisers go bye-bye!

Well after all, maybe this is the wake up call that everyone has been looking for.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by LPFDfireman43 View Post
    No Your not. You code doesnt do a damn bit of good because the 1st page doesnt redirect. Only the seoncd page does witch is the place you put your code. My code still takes everyone to the 1st poage dumb f*ck. Therefor what you did is useless. The laugh is on you.

Hey NM..... WTG Bro... Glad to see theres a vigilante in here that can do something when Major stool samples like this whacker show up...

As for the said stool sample...

LP... Dude... Grow up... You know how much of a horses A** you look like right now? You can get help for that "Little Man's" syndrome ya have...

Das Boot...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

This site is becoming a joke. I can't believe that the WT is not monitoring this site more closely due to the recent hijackings by this moron. I am in absolute favor of DCGonz being a moderator as well as any other long time respected member, there are several to choose from. Web Team, wake up, get your s##t together and do something. We should not be subjected to offensive, racist postings constantly as we have been. Your apology rings hollow, as you are obviously not doing enough to rectify the ongoing problem. You are in danger of losing members, and of this site being viewed poorly by members of the fire service that consider this site a valuable resource. It is beyond me that someone has not been assigned to monitor the forums in light of recent events. I suggest you use the resources you have at hand immediately, ie. user/moderator before this site suffers any longer. Sorry guys, but I have had enough of the incompetence!

p.s. WT, if you feel the need to punish me for being critical of you, so be it, just do something!

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Too bad for that loser, I found it and I'm using it against him now. I put my own re-director in his derogatory thread taking you here.
    Good job. I was sort of having fun with them on other already deleted threads.

I'm thinking we won't be booking tickets to Stockholm to watch him (or her) pick any prizes.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

You know, I have never seen this type of thing work on forums that require an email address to post (I.E. registration). It seems that this would make monitoring and policing this crap much easier. This seems reinforced by the fact that the dude only posts under guest status. Food for thought.
    Steve

Paramedic, CCEMT-P, Geek

"Boldness is like a condom. If you depend on it all the time, no matter how good it is, and no matter how good you are, eventually it will break. "

IACOJ - Proud member.

14:50 Hrs, EST and the Webteam is finally taking action.... PATHETIC
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

It's good that it's being dealt with today rather than tomorrow like we all suspected, but ....

What's to stop this guy from getting back on here within an hour with a new user name like he did the other day?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

I set up a letter in my Email program and then sent a copy of it to the advertisers on this site. Some had 800 numbers.. so I called them. I know it is Sunday, but when they get the messages on Monday morning... Here is what I sent to the advertisers via email. I pretty much repeated it verbatim on the phone.

There has been a problem at Firehouse.com with a racist who logs in under multiple screen names and then posts racist cartoons and statements in the forums there.

Do you want your firm to be associated with this?

Let Firehouse.com and Cygnus know that they have to put a stop to it now!
    I have noticed that the offending posts are pretty much gone (I went off line around 1:00 PM EST).

Webteam: you have to keep up on this!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

That should get some attention I hope.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by JJBat150 View Post
    Just remember that if the web team turns off HTML enbeded code (Which they should) to stop this troll, your re-director will end. But for now I like your action, nothing like stomping on a MUTT
    Wrong play altogether. IGNORE HIM.

Stooping to his infantile level just keeps him coming back.

Anyone who tries to counter him by copying his troll tactics just becomes another troll.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk View Post
    Is there a layman's explanation for why adding someone to your ignore list doesn't bypass the redirect?
    Our resident roll is using "guest" access. You can't set "guest" posts to ignore because they aren't really registered.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

IACOJ - Proud member.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Wrong play altogether. IGNORE HIM.

Stooping to his infantile level just keeps him coming back.

Anyone who tries to counter him by copying his troll tactics just becomes another troll.
    Sad part about this whole incident is that the webteam may have deleted his posts, but they haven't addressed the security issue... PATHETIC.
    Last edited by JJBat150; 02-05-2007 at 06:25 AM.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Lets see what happens.

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://forums.firehouse.com">

Looks like they fixed it the HTML problem.

Now, it seems they are still operating under the radar screen since they haven't said a word about what happened.
    Last edited by nmfire; 02-04-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information