Forum Member

Default what is a CAFS system ?

We are working on specs for a new engine. I have heard alot of mention in different threads about CAFS systems. What exactly are they and what are the pros. and cons. to having one.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

CAFs is compressed air foam. It has a foam system and a compressor as it's major components.

The water and foam mixture are injected with air to make a much more bubbly air filled foam mixture.

The proponents say it makes for a lighter hoseline and that the foam and air mixture makes for quicker knock downs. It can also be used to "paint" an exposure with foam to protect it from an oncoming fire.

Those who aren't fans of it talk about the cost, lack of cooling effect, and sometimes depending on the system and the builder the complexity and difficulties with making it work.

As for me, if the idea of CAFs fits into your FD's way of operating I say go for it.

FyredUp

Forum Member

CAFS is an acronym for Compressed Air Foam System. I'm not an expert on this subject by any means, so I'll be brief.

Pro: Conserve water by injecting air and foam into hoselines

Con: Less heat absorption due to use of less water

There are more technicalities, but as I said, I'm not an expert.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions I hope someone can answer for me. 1. Does anyone know what a system like this would roughly cost? 2. Would you have a separate foam tank ? 3. I am assuming you would use class A foam. Am I correct ?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Cost is dependent on the complexity of the system and the number of discharges you will have CAFs piped to. Sorry I know that is vague.

Yes, there would be a seperate foam tank and yes it is a Class A foam.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RESQBOSS244 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions I hope someone can answer for me. 1. Does anyone know what a system like this would roughly cost? 2. Would you have a separate foam tank ? 3. I am assuming you would use class A foam. Am I correct ?
    Our truck was around $40,000 to have the CAFS system. Yes we have seperate foam tanks and we have 1 tank for A and 1 for B. Our system is the Waterous Eclipse. It works very well and the price might be shocking but it's well worth it. Contact Waterous for a demo or who ever your fd plans on dealing with.

Forum Member

Hi RESQBOSS244,

CAFS is the next link in the evolution of firefighting extinguishment tools. It is as stated the mixture of water, foam concentrate and air. It is used primarily with Class A foam.

I have been using CAFS for 9 years now with my department. It is well worth the investment, as it is an investment in firefighter safty. I have been in the fire service since 1977. I've fought many fires with plain water and can say based on my experiences that CAFS is better extinguishing tool.

It has been stated in some post that CAFS does not cool as good as plain water. That is the furthest thing from the truth. I am telling you from my experiences of being on the nozzle that CAFS cools much faster than plain water. If you are using this tool correctly, applying it with the correct nozzle type, flowing the correct GPM to meet or exceed the critical application rate and the flowing at an approximate 2:1 ratio (gpm to cfm), extinguishment and cooling happens very quickly.

Here is a link to a web site with more information. http://www.compressedairfoam.com/com...irfoam.com.htm

Training is the key. Some manufacturers like Waterous give you 3 days of training at your station on your CAFS unit when your truck is delivered.

Look at them all and ask a lot of questions, but bottom line is CAFS a much more efficient and safer way of extinguishing a fire.

Hope this helps,

Captain Lou
    "Got Foam?"

Forum Member

don't look at the price,look at the lives and property that you could save. in 2005 our dept. purchased a darley truck with the darley 220cfm foam system and we love it. you have less water damage, quicker cooldown, less overhaul, less cleanup, less time overall. trust me its worth every penny!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptLou View Post
    Hi RESQBOSS244,

CAFS is the next link in the evolution of firefighting extinguishment tools. It is as stated the mixture of water, foam concentrate and air. It is used primarily with Class A foam.

I have been using CAFS for 9 years now with my department. It is well worth the investment, as it is an investment in firefighter safty. I have been in the fire service since 1977. I've fought many fires with plain water and can say based on my experiences that CAFS is better extinguishing tool.

It has been stated in some post that CAFS does not cool as good as plain water. That is the furthest thing from the truth. I am telling you from my experiences of being on the nozzle that CAFS cools much faster than plain water. If you are using this tool correctly, applying it with the correct nozzle type, flowing the correct GPM to meet or exceed the critical application rate and the flowing at an approximate 2:1 ratio (gpm to cfm), extinguishment and cooling happens very quickly.

Here is a link to a web site with more information. http://www.compressedairfoam.com/com...irfoam.com.htm

Training is the key. Some manufacturers like Waterous give you 3 days of training at your station on your CAFS unit when your truck is delivered.

Look at them all and ask a lot of questions, but bottom line is CAFS a much more efficient and safer way of extinguishing a fire.

Hope this helps,

Captain Lou
    "Got Foam?"

Thread Information