MembersZone Subscriber

Default Possible LODD's - Winnipeg, MB

Only speculation at this time, CTV reporting 2 LODD's in a possible backdraft with another FF seriously hurt.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories
    Firefighter
    Eureka District Fire Department

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I pray it IS a rumour, but it doesn't sound good.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not good... http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...-winnipeg.html

My heart goes out to the families of our fallen brothers/sisters
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Sorry to hear that....We lost a FF in a similar situation this past summer.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Just saw a quick report a news break

My sincere condolences to the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Services and the families of the fallen. My thoughts and prayers are with those injured.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 02-05-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Forum Member

Thoughts and prayers go out to the lost firefighters' family, friends, and fellow brothers. A full and speedy recovery for those injured.

Forum Member

Rest In Peace Brothers !

Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

A few more details ...

Two Winnipeg firefighters die fighting housefire
    05/02/2007 1:00:37 AM
    Printer-friendly page

Two firefighters are dead after a major flash engulfed them in a burning Winnipeg home Sunday night.

Two Winnipeg firefighters die fighting housefire

The fire started out routine, but then spiralled out of control. Firefighters were still battling it at last report.

Alex Forest, president of the United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg, said a flashover hit the men.

He described the phenomenon as "a sudden, violent burst of flames at extreme temperatures that our protective equipment can't protect us from.

"Our gear protects us to hundreds of degrees Celsius, so it was just unthinkable," Forrest said.

He had the task of bringing the dead men's families in to see their bodies. Both men were senior captains with more than 30 years experience.

At least three or four other firefighters were injured, one very seriously, he said. "It's a tremendous tragedy for Winnipeg."

The blaze burned intensely, even in the -39-degrees-Celsius temperatures.

Aerial television images showed the home lighting up the surrounding neighbourhood.

About 15 to 20 surrounding homes were evacuated.

Shaken area residents watched the scene unfold.

"It's just been them trying to pull out firemen. One after another they were pulling them out into the ambulances," Mark Lemont told CTV Winnipeg.

"They were just trying to get them out. everyone was yelling for medics. Trying to be as calm as it can be. but it looked pretty bad."

One report indicated one stricken firefighter was convulsing.

Neighbours say two teenagers were in the home. They were studying in the basement when the fire broke out, but got out safely.

The parents are apparently away on a holiday.

With a report from CTV Winnipeg's Stacey Ashley and files from The Canadian Press

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Damn
    RIP Brothas
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

MembersZone Subscriber

rest in peace brothers.

wow it seems like this years starting bad.

Forum Member

damnit...... rest in peace brothers
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member

The house involved belonged to a local judge. He and his wife were away on holidays while his 20 year old daughter and 17 year old son were home when the fire broke out.

In addition to previosly posted info, I was told that one the the injured FF's in hospital today has suffered burns to over 70% of his body.

During the flashover, one the the FF's inside had his radio melt in its pocket, inside his jacket.

Neil
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Rest in peace fellow Firefighters.

I send my condolences to the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Services and their families during this tragic time.

I pray for a speedy recovery for those firefighters who were injured during last nights blaze.

Neil
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Unhappy

Like a punch in the stomach when I saw the news. My condolences to the families and friends and all with Winnipeg Fire.....RIP bro's........

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

The two fallen were captains each with 30 years in. A senior FF with 19 years in is in critical condition in hospital.

Condolences to everyone in WFPS and everyone touched by this tragedy.

CBCNW just covered the news conference.. I have some points to make about that, but I'll hold off until a more appropriate time.
    --jay.

MembersZone Subscriber

My condolences and prayers to the firefighters, their families, and their brothers and sisters in Winnipeg.

Forum Member

February 5, 2007 -- It is with deepest regret and sorrow that the IAFF reports the line-of-duty deaths of two of our members from Winnipeg Local 867 in Manitoba. Both fire fighters died February 4 in a two-story house fire. The names of the two veteran fire fighters who died along with four others who were injured have not been released. According to Alex Forrest, president of Winnipeg Local 867, some members of their families have not yet been informed.

http://www.iaff.org/across/news/Arch...07Winnipeg.htm

Forum Member

RIP Brothers, God Bless their families and those injured

IACOJ BOD

Kia Kaha

At the going down of the sun
    we will remember them.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

2 firefighters killed in Winnipeg blaze were 'great guys'
    05/02/2007 6:18:07 PM
    Printer-friendly page

Two Winnipeg firefighters who died while battling a fire Sunday night that destroyed a judge's home were identified late Monday, while being described as "the best guys you could ever meet."

CBC News
    Capt. Harold Lessard was 55.
    (Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service)
    Capt. Harold Lessard was 55.
    (Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service)

Deceased are Capt. Harold Lessard, 55, and Capt. Thomas Nichols, 57. Nichols had 32 years experience with the service, while Lessard had 31 years.

Both were captains with Platoon 3 - Nichols was with Station 2 while Lessard was with Station 1.

Alex Forrest, president of the United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg union, spoke at a news conference the morning after the fire at the Place Gabrielle Roy house owned by provincial Court of Appeal Justice Richard Chartier and his family.

"They were great guys, very experienced. They were two of our best captains," said Forrest on Monday about the fire, which was put out by the afternoon.

"It's just one of those things, that you go in, you fight a fire, and two of the best guys you could ever meet unfortunately didn't make it out," added Forrest.

The injured firefighters are:

- Senior firefighter Edward Wiebe, 51.

- Firefighter Lionel Crowther, 33.

- Firefighter Darcy Funk, 35.

- Firefighter Scott Atchison, 33.

Wiebe is an 18-year veteran of the fire-paramedic service, while Funk and Atchison have eight years of experience and Crowther has six.

Son, friend escaped flames

Chartier and his wife were on vacation, but their son, Pierre-Marc, 18, was in the basement studying with a friend Sunday evening when they smelled smoke.

"I went to look and I started seeing flames inside the house and it was already out of control," Pierre-Marc Chartier said Monday. "Maybe 10 minutes later, the whole house was engulfed in flames, and it went so fast...."

The two escaped from the house along with the family dog, although the teenager said he left the house so quickly he was wearing two left shoes.

His sister Sophie, 20, arrived home from work to see her family home in flames.

"There was a lot of commotion, lots of firefighters and stuff," she said. "I started walking towards my street but somebody told me it was my house. So I started running and yeah, there it was, up in flames."

The Chartier siblings have been staying with their uncle since the fire. Their parents were expected to return to Winnipeg on Monday night.

Earlier in the day, at Winnipeg City Hall and the Manitoba Legislative Building, flags flew at half-mast. City councillors meeting for the city's protection and community services committee - which oversees the Fire-Paramedic Service - held a moment of silence before the meeting began.

2 victims of flashover

The two firefighters who died appeared to be victims of a flashover, something that fire department Deputy Chief Ken Sim said "quickly generates heat up over 1,000 degrees and compromises all of their life safety equipment very quickly.

"Essentially what happens, and what the indications are, is that the area becomes super heated," Sim said.

"It actually isn't involved in active fire, but the gases and the surfaces that are involved in that room become so hot that they begin vaporizing and they reach a point of ignition, and it's literally like a fireball that occurs in the room and it incinerates the room."

At least four other members of the same firefighting crew were injured, one seriously. All six were on the second floor of the house.

Authorities said one firefighter was in hospital in critical condition and two others were stable on Monday. Another firefighter was released late Sunday night after being treated.

Two of the firefighters suffered serious burns - to 70 per cent of one man's body and to 15 per cent of the other man's.

Crews were alerted to the fire about 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Place Gabrielle Roy, a cul-de-sac neighbourhood across from the French Quarter of St. Boniface.

Witnesses forced from their homes said it seemed the firefighters were having great difficulty controlling the flames and smoke.

"The garage was fully collapsed, the roof was collapsed. Total chaos otherwise," said resident Marc Gagnon, who saw the blaze before being forced out of his own home by police.

"Everyone has been evacuated from the 13 houses in the bay and we're just waiting to see what comes next."

Some of the neighbours have since been allowed to return to their homes.

Investigation could take months

The investigation into the tragedy could take months, Forrest said, but it appeared the firemen became trapped while performing a search-and-rescue operation.

Crews fighting the blaze had to contend with temperatures of -39 C.

However, Forrest said he was confident the crews followed proper procedure, entering the house to search for people despite reports that its occupants were out.

"We get told all the time, 'there's no one in the house,' we go in there and we find people," he said. "We can't take that chance. That's why we go in."

While they have lost all of their possessions and the house they grew up in, Sophie Chartier said they are deeply saddened by the deaths of the firefighters.

"That's, I think, what hit me the most, what kept me up at night, because knowing that they're not coming home, you know," she said. "At least we have our family."
    Sleep with angels, Harold and Thomas.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

First on scene death since 1979 for WFPS and first multipule deaths since 1945
    www.firehall.com - check it out

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighters pay tribute to two fallen comrades

Firefighter

Thread Information