Thread: Seattle Exam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seattle Exam

I got my letter today informing me that I did not pass the written exam on the 20th. I was wondering if anyone else has recieved their letters yet and who all passed and who did not pass. I was surprised that I did not pass the exam. I just missed it by a few points. Oh well I guess that I will wait and re-take their test again the next time around.

Forum Member

I passed the exam with a fairly high score. I liked this years Seattle Exam compared to last years, as they discounted the video portion of the exam. I have my oral interview the second week of March.

GoCougs, are you a student at WSU or just a fan?

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on passing the test and good luck with the rest of the process. I just graduated from WSU. Is Seattle having a physical agility test? They were talking about 2 sets of interviews after the written but mentioned nothing about a physical agility

Forum Member

I am not aware of an physical yet, but I am sure there is one some time during the process. Last year, there was not a physical until after you took both of the interviews and were selected to continue in the employment process.

GOCougs - There are a lot of departments in Washington that are going to be testing fairly soon, are you signed up for those?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah Im currently in the process with Portland, Im going to be testing in Spokane in 2 weeks, then again in a couple months with Spokane Valley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seattle interview

Aerverman, do you know how the first Seattle interview will be this year? I heard last time they just had you answer questions into a tape recorder.

Forum Member

Smile yea

yea this was my first time taking it and i pass. i was really surprise!. i am only 18 years old also. I am a volunteer Firefighter for Black diamond fire department.

Forum Member

nwfire17 - According to my letter I received from Seattle "Candidate will meet with a panel of Fire Fighters". You are correct, last year for the first round of interviews, candidates spoke into a tape record, which was a bit awkward, and for the second interview you were given questions from a panel of 3 FFs.

I look forward to human interaction instead of the non-gesturing tape recorder

MembersZone Subscriber

No kidding, I'll agree with you on that one!

(Guess I could have read my letter again to find that out... )

Forum Member

Default Seattle Process

The Seattle website has a really good writeup of the process:

This year they are not doing the first round interview with the tape recorder, it will be 2 rounds with a panel. They are doing preparation sessions for the oral board this year, the website has details: http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employme...didateInfo.htm

The CPAT for Seattle is done very late in the process, right around the time conditional offers are given.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I also took the Seattle test and got a really high score on the test, i was wondering how the rankings really work, do they just go by the test score b/c it seems like the rank just from the interviews from what i read. Also how are they set up, meaning did the go from the highest scores to the bottom..just asking cause i got an interview on the first day of the interviews, also does having my ifsac in ffI/ffII, hazmat aware/ops, and NREMT help my chances? I know i have to go through the academy again but i like that, i had the best time of my life there b/c of the friends i made and coming from texas not knowing anyone there would really be good

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by afav36 View Post
    I also took the Seattle test and got a really high score on the test, i was wondering how the rankings really work, do they just go by the test score b/c it seems like the rank just from the interviews from what i read.
    They don't use the test score at all in ranking. It was a pass/fail.

I'm not sure how they decided order of interviews. I scored a 98.6% and am on the second day, I know someone who got a 99.1% that has his the first day, so I guess it could be based on written score.

MembersZone Subscriber

I went to the oral board workshop. Basically the facts are there were 2500 applicants, 2000 showed up to take the written, 1500 of those passed the written. 36ish jobs are forecasted for next year, maybe more, maybe less.

Good luck to all, because it will be like winning the lottery if one day you ever do get the call saying they want you to come down for a chiefs oral and you're part of that lucky small group who get to goto academy.

Regarding the order of the oral boards, I'm guessing it's alphabetical or randomized since I have a oral date of 7:30am, day 1 - yet scored in the low 90s.

PhilTreat
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default the 2nd round

Hey,
    Not trying to jinx myself here, but I thought my oral went pretty well. I don't remember (and I didn't write down) what the administration gal told us about the dates for the next round. Anyone have any idea? I'm thinking she said march 28 - april 4th or april 28th - may 4th.

Also, we were told that 1700, not 2000 people took the written test, and that 1512 were invited to the first oral board.

Thanks,
    Phil

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTreat View Post
    Hey,
    Not trying to jinx myself here, but I thought my oral went pretty well. I don't remember (and I didn't write down) what the administration gal told us about the dates for the next round. Anyone have any idea? I'm thinking she said march 28 - april 4th or april 28th - may 4th.

Also, we were told that 1700, not 2000 people took the written test, and that 1512 were invited to the first oral board.

Thanks,
    Phil
    She said the next round of interviews is projected to be from April 30th to May 5th. We should hear from them as to whether or not we made it to that round by the 4th of April.

PhilTreat
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default thanks

Hey thanks for the reply bud.

Phil

Thread Information