View Poll Results: How often do you wear a seat belt on a fire truck?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

48 69.57%
  • Only when I don't need to put on my gear

5 7.25%
  • Occasionally

12 17.39%
  • Never

4 5.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Seat Belt Use

Forum Member

Default Seat Belt Use Poll

How often do you wear your seat belt at work? I am conducting a poll so I can collect data for a project, to complete a degree in Fire Safety. Please comment on your department policy, enforcement, and what attitudes or conditions affect your seat belt use.
    Last edited by FFRobG; 02-06-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Forum Member

Default hey look a new topic ..............

Do a search ..................it has only been discussed 90000089085902458 times here.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    Do a search ..................it has only been discussed 90000089085902458 times here.
    Yeah, I have done many searches. Seen polls that say 91% of FH forum reader think we SHOULD wear seat belts. 100% of the people who have responded to the poll so far claim to wear their seat belt all the time.

However the U.S. Fire Administraion says we only wear it 45% of the time. The 2nd leading cause of firefighter fatalities occurs while responding to, or returning from an alarm. I know what goes on in the Houston Fire Dept. Not near 100% compliance.

I want to no why they are not worn. What attitudes or conditions at your fire dept prevent you from wearing your seat belt 100% of the time? How is it enforced?

Forum Member

Well try reading those 9 million other posts and you see the answers to your question.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

the 4-1-4

I'll answer right here. We had 11 runs yesterday, and I didn't wear my seatbelt for any of them.
    The shift before, we ran 13, and the only time I wore my seatbelt was for our inservice at the school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I'll answer right here. We had 11 runs yesterday, and I didn't wear my seatbelt for any of them.
    The shift before, we ran 13, and the only time I wore my seatbelt was for our inservice at the school.
    It amazes me that people have been trained to put on a seatbelt in an airplane.....like thats going to do you any good hitting the ground at 300MPH....but wont put one on in a moving vehicle.

The driver and officer of Eng 17 in Detroit were both ejected last night in this accident when the rig was spun around. The driver was killed.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by firepiper1; 02-08-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can I get a hallaluya? How *$#&ing stupid do you have to be to not click that belt. No disrespect to the DFD. How many examples do you need. Be a man! Click it and go home to your family at the end of your day. They don't want someone to hand them the folded flag at a funeral.

the 4-1-4

It amazes me that people have been trained to put on a seatbelt in an airplane.....like thats going to do you any good hitting the ground at 300MPH....but wont put one on in a moving vehicle.

Blast my post all you want to, I was answering the first post in the thread, honestly. Notice, I wasnít condoning it, I was stating it as a fact. Take a good hard look around the next time your in a department vehicle. See how many people are really wearing their seatbelt. I think you might be surprised.
    I will also guarantee that I am not alone with my post, if people are honest about it.

As far as the Detroit incident is concerned, I know Iíll wait for the official report before I make a judgment, rather than a foolish statement about it, however, we all know the forums donít operate that way.

The thread asked for policies, opinions, attitudes, etc... regarding seatbelt use in departments. My department, along with probably every department out there has a seat belt policy in place. You can preach all of the safety you want to, but guys will still not wear seatbelts. That is a reality. I have almost hung myself, between my harness straps, seatbelt, and so on. I even once connected my MSA waist strap into my seatbelt, and had two guys behind me pile into me when I couldn't get off the rig.

See the seatbelt/shoulder harness hanging next to the drivers seat? Why?
    I donít know why, but, please inform all of us as to why. You know for a fact they werenít wearing them? Do you know for a fact they were operating properly? Do you know any hard facts, other than what you read in the paper?
    Last edited by jasper45; 02-08-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Forum Member

Here we go again safety nazi's out in force ..When you do his job and been there done that nothing else you have to say matter's..

GOD Bless you Brother.

FTM PTB RFB
    Box Alarm 8087
    Last edited by Pipeman2; 02-08-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member

Here in PA the state's fire commissioner is pushing his "Everyone goes home safe" campaign. He's even made his home company take the air packs out of the seats and put them in their boxes in compartments so that no one tries to pack up while en-route.

You hate to see something like Detroit happen but you also have to say I told you so.

Wonder if they wore their seat belts on their way to their shift that day.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Just ask one of our former Capatains, who can't move from the neck down, if he wishes that he had worn his seatbelt when the rig went over on its side.I know what 45 is eluding too and I agree that there are many who still don't buckle up but that seems like gambling to me.

Forum Member

"My department, along with probably every department out there has a seat belt policy in place. You can preach all of the safety you want to, but guys will still not wear seatbelts."

If the city doesnt adhere to a part of the contract, the union files a grievance in a heartbeat. But firefighters are allowed to disregard department safety rules? WTF? The answer is that officers have to lead by example or be held accountable.

I spent over 21 years dealing the same mess of SCBA's, seatbelts and headsets all getting tangled up in a jumpseat. So I know it is a hassle. But, I also receive every NIOSH report on firefighter line of duty deaths and read them carefully. It amazes me how many LODD's are preventable, especially when dealing with apparatus accidents. Many departments are taking a hard look at removing SCBA's from the jumpseats vs. saving 30 seconds at the scene so that firefighters will use seatbelts.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 02-08-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

the 4-1-4

If the city doesnt adhere to a part of the contract, the union files a grievance in a heartbeat. But firefighters are allowed to disregard department safety rules? WTF?

Your making assumptions here, and you canít do that. I recently had a member of a large east coast department spend some time with me, the name of the department doesnít matter because it isnít important.
    This fireman showed me pictures of some of the rigs that they are using, and I was shocked. One of the pictures that he showed me, was of a rig that had a slide bolt lock to keep the door closed. In fact, one of their members had fallen out of that very same door. It was my understanding that there was no seat belt available, either. This was but one example that was told to me, and was one in which he had pictures to support.
    The local of this department is very good, and very strong, and yet these conditions still exist. What are they supposed to do? Not respond? Go home? Let people die? Weíre all firefighters (I think?) and will still do our job, no matter how much they cut us, or how much equipment they take away. If we donít do our job, people will surely die.
    None of us here has any cold hard facts about this accident in Detroit, unless youíre going to tell me that the NIOSH report has already been released. Keep the speculation about this tragedy to a minimum. Since weíre all in such a speculating mood though, why doesnít anyone speculate about why the driver of the SUV was traveling at over 70 mph, his speeding certainly was a significant contribution. After all, itís not like he was going to a fire.

You can also sit on here, and preach about how guys should be wearing seatbelts. I will never tell anyone to not wear them. All I did was answer a question on this thread honestly. I also asked my brother about his department, and he told me pretty much the same story. I see the same thing here on overtimes, relief days, and everywhere I else I go. I also think that if others would be truly honest, they would see much the same thing in their departments.

Forum Member

"All I did was answer a question on this thread honestly"

Your answer was............

"We had 11 runs yesterday, and I didn't wear my seatbelt for any of them.
    The shift before, we ran 13, and the only time I wore my seatbelt was for our inservice at the school."

You said that your department has a seatbelt policy so why dont you wear them? I have been to way too many LODD funerals and I hate it when they seem so preventable.

I worked part time for an air medical program in the '90s. The pilots would not lift until all occupants were belted in. That was part of their job as the pilot in command, to make sure all of the safety rules were followed on his aircraft. Every rig, no matter if its from a paid or volunteer department, has a "pilot in command." That person has to make sure that all of the occupants follow the rules when operating on that piece of apparatus.

The discussion isnt about who runs with broken rigs because we all have. I drove a 1974 Sutphen that had holes in the floors. It should be: We have seatbelts that were provided for my safety, and I choose not to wear them.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 02-08-2007 at 07:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lutan1 View Post
    Well done!!!
    And that was only a search for "seatbelt", and I only pulled the really obvious ones from that query. Imagine the fun if I had also searched for "seat belt"?

Nonetheless the dead horse is taking a whaling. I guess Lairdsville isn't the only subject that people have not learned from.....
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

the 4-1-4

You said that your department has a seatbelt policy so why dont you wear them?

I donít put it on because I am usually getting my mask on, grabbing tools, and on the times that I have worn a belt, I have become tangled up. There are a lot of straps, belts, and stuff to get tangled when you are in a hurry.

The discussion isnt about who runs with broken rigs because we all have.
    Oh, it could be about broken rigs, because broken rigs sometimes have seat belt issues. Iíll still wait for factual evidence to be presented before I will comment on the brothers from Detroit. Why is it, that in every thread, fireman take the heat first? It happens every time.

How often do you wear your seat belt at work? I am conducting a poll so I can collect data for a project, to complete a degree in Fire Safety. Please comment on your department policy, enforcement, and what attitudes or conditions affect your seat belt use.
    This is the opening post from the thread starter, in case you missed it. Like I said before, I just answered the question honestly.

Forum Member

Well, we have beat this one to death. As a former member of my union's safety committee, I spent many hours reading up on firefighter injuries and deaths. Too many were preventable. My only point is be safe!
    Last edited by firepiper1; 02-09-2007 at 10:01 AM.

FIGJAM

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    And that was only a search for "seatbelt", and I only pulled the really obvious ones from that query. Imagine the fun if I had also searched for "seat belt"?

Nonetheless the dead horse is taking a whaling. I guess Lairdsville isn't the only subject that people have not learned from.....
    hehehe! Some will never learn....
    Luke

Forum Member

Rob,
    I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time, but I'll tell you I am clearly in the minority in my volly FD. Our dept has a seat belt policy that the truck doesn't move until everyone is belted. I will bet that almost never happens though. Essentially no enforcement. With regard to the issue of scba straps, etc. I don't even attempt to pack up in route any more. I drive to the station, put on my bunkers and walk to the truck. If I'm not driving, I'll stand at the one of the rear door with it open and put my turnout coat on (that way the driver can't pull away with out me or without me being in full turnouts). I'll then get in the truck, pick a jump seat, sit down and buckle my seat belt. When we arrive, I'll pack up.

In the volly ranks, I think the biggest problem is the disciplinary aspect. Even in the most professional VFDs, there is a huge social aspect and I think there is a real avoidance of disciplining your buddy. And if department leadership doesn't set the example, it will never happen. Younger and newer guys are confused - they probably grew up wearing seat belts as kids ( I didn't) and probably are users on their own - they get to the FD and try to conform.

Why do I wear it - I have 2 kids and wife. MVAs are the leading accidental cause of death for typical adults. I'm far more likley to die in an MVA vs. a fire so I try to lower my risk as much as possible.

I've been in 20 yrs. and the absolute unnecessary risks we are taking today is making me think hard about what I'm doing. I may be wearing my belt in the truck, but most of the other guys aren't and I'm going to get creamed by one of them and their pack, tools, etc. if we get in an accident. When I drive, I'm supposed to not move until everyone is belted, but that would cause such an uproar it isn't funny. If I'm driving and we get in an accident, I'm likley going to get personally sued or worse if someone gets seriously injured or killed. Fireground isn't much better - we don't see that much fire anymore and when we do, we're trying to do interior attacks on fires that are clearly into a defensive mode.

It's strange, we've got a heck of a lot more safety related equipment, etc policies, RIT, etc. than when I started in the mid-80s, but even looking back knowing what I know now, I feel the entire response was safer overall then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default So sad!

"One police investigator said neither firefighter had a seatbelt on."
    Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Another LODD

Yet another;
    Stephen "Eric" Vanderpool, 28, was seriously injured Feb. 1 when his vehicle was hit broadside after he failed to stop at a stop sign. He was ejected through the driver's door.

"Police said Vanderpool was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected."

"In addition to being a member of the White Oak Department, he was a member of the West Liberty FD, the Caney Valley FD, and the Morgan County Rescue Squad."

4 departments are without a member, A wife lost her husband, and an area mornes the loss of a dedicated responder.

ALL BECAUSE HE WASN'T WEARING A SEATBELT, AND BLEW THROUGH A STOP SIGN! THIS WAS 100% PREVENTABLE

MembersZone Subscriber

Some have replied that we have beaten a dead horse with this issue. I do not agree. Comments from the person who said he did not wear it on emergency runs but did on an in service call, shows that the horse has not been beat enough. I hope it never happens, but someday he may be flying through the air after being ejected, and thinking at least he has his SCBA and helmet on and his tools with him. As far as my departments I am with, a volunteer and a paid, we have similar problems. However with the vollies, we have about 99.9% usage. Though NFPA and OSHA do not want anyone wearing SCBA while responding, we have taught and practiced donning the SCBA while already seat belted. Try it sometime, a bit tough but it can be done. If the straps on the SCBA are set up properly with practice they won't get in the way. Where I am a paid firefighter I have talked till I am blue in the face, but never gave up. I have also shown the donning of SCBA with seat belts there also. Finally, the engine company I am with, I was able to convince my Captain, and we make it a habit now. When another individual fills in with us they are told to wear the seat belt. Some bitching happens but the officer lets them know who is in charge. Now I can not say for the other engine company since I have not run on that truck for some time. But when I go to that company next year I will again start my ranting about seat belts.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear my belt as often as I can. Never in the back of an ambulance until I have done all my stuff and have a chance to get belted. Always, when I'm driving an engine or truck and as soon as I can get it on after getting dressed if i'm not at the wheel.
    Want to **** off some people- refuse to pull out of the station until everyone is belted.
    Get into an accident and if you are the chauffer- you are the one that will fry.
    So for the ten millionth time posted- try to wear your belt when you can. Pretty soon they will figure out an interlock system that wont allow the truck to move if we keep hurting firefighters. Been in three wrecks and wasn't belted in any of them. Did my shoulder, face and head in each of the accidents. Didn't do much firefighting after the accidents. This is year 26 for me- I count myself fortunate.
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Thread Information