Forum Member

Default 5 year old survives 1 hour underwater

Icy water may have helped boy stay alive, doctor says
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 4:39 PM CST

LITTLE ROCK - The icy pond water that put a 5-year-old boy in a Little Rock hospital after he was submerged in it for more than one hour may also have helped him stay alive, a doctor who helped revive the boy says.

Barry "Tyler" Zielinski was playing on the pond Friday at his home near Van Buren, when he fell in. Family members tried to rescue the boy but the water was too cold. Sheriff's deputies arrived and used a flat-bottom boat and a dragline to locate Tyler and pull him out of the water.

Tyler was in critical condition Tuesday at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokeswoman Ginger Daril said.

Dr. Douglas Carlson, who tended to Tyler at Sparks Regional Medical Center's emergency room in Fort Smith, said Tyler could not have survived if the pond's water was not as cold as it was.

"If you cut off (a child's) oxygen supply, damage is going to occur fairly rapidly," Carlson said. "But if you cut off oxygen and submerge him in ice water, you're lowering the oxygen demand."

Crawford County Sheriff's Deputy Aaron Beshears, who helped save the boy, said ice on the pond was one-half to three-quarters of an inch thick when Tyler fell in. The boy's older sister, mother and grandfather, a volunteer fire fighter and a county dive team member all jumped into the frigid water to rescue him but couldn't.

Carlson, three other doctors and several nurses worked for more than two hours to warm Tyler. Nurses covered him in two warming blankets, and used heat packs, heating pads and IV fluids to raise his body temperature.

Though Carlson said Tyler will likely suffer from some brain damage if he survives, the pond's cold water protected him from suffering severe damage.

"The fact that he was able to live through all of this was because he was so cold," he said.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Wow, what a remarkable story! I hope he survives.

Thanks for posting the article.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Question

Thats awesome. Now I have a question. We dont have a dive team however we do have an "GO" Ice rescue Team. Our SOG states that any person that has been submerged for then 10 mins we will not send guys out to the hole. We wear mustang suits and its pretty hard to submerge ourselves to get a victim that has gone under. We live on the shores of Lake Erie so depth can be an Issue. Should we still send guys to the hole even if it is a recovery that could be saved because of the cold water. The Ploice dive team could take up too 1.5 hrs to even get ready. Recovery is the responsibiltiy of the Police Department here.

Forum Member

Well, if the person is underwater, they will need a dive team to find them. Its not like you can just take a deep breath and go down in a mustang type suit that is designed to float. Underwater = Dive.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62 View Post
    Thats awesome. Now I have a question. We dont have a dive team however we do have an "GO" Ice rescue Team. Our SOG states that any person that has been submerged for then 10 mins we will not send guys out to the hole. We wear mustang suits and its pretty hard to submerge ourselves to get a victim that has gone under. We live on the shores of Lake Erie so depth can be an Issue. Should we still send guys to the hole even if it is a recovery that could be saved because of the cold water. The Ploice dive team could take up too 1.5 hrs to even get ready. Recovery is the responsibiltiy of the Police Department here.

You live on the shore and have no dive team? You should try and set one up. I've heard several stories like this, and people can survive in freezing water for a while. I think our SOP is like 2 hours before it turns to recovery from resuce. (in cold water)
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I agree.. But should we still go to the hole? Im not saying we will dive down in a suit. I know what a mustang can and cant do. If we get on scene the victim has been reported to be out of sight for at least 10 minutes we wont even check. Should we check? Does a body drop right to the bottom? And what if its only 4 - 5ft below the surface. We can reach em if thats the case via Pike Pole or Ice staff.

As for setting up a Dive Team. Im the only Certifeid Rescue Padi Diver on the Department. And that doesnt even come close to what a Rescue Diver in the Fire Service does. Department will never go for it.
    Last edited by JAFA62; 02-07-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    I've heard several stories like this, and people can survive in freezing water for a while. I think our SOP is like 2 hours before it turns to recovery from resuce. (in cold water)
    It's called the mammallian dive reflex. Dive teams have been working with it for over 25 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex

http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/225

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drowning/article_em.htm

http://www.medhunters.com/articles/trivia020706.html
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Default Wow...

That's incredible!

Thank you for sharing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is the 10 minute rule because of what most people were taught in CPR class about "biological death" beginning?

Thread Information