Forum Member

Default TV commercials for recruitment?

Does anyone else have a television commercial to recruit members? We just got this one that ran for a little while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOfYbAxZvnQ

We also have http://www.concordfire.net/ but it is just used to post training on a calendar.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, I dont think we would...but what have been the results of your commercial?

Forum Member

I believe that it was a complete waste of money. I don't think any of us got any members from it. All five departments went in on it, and I didn't hear of any new members.

MembersZone Subscriber

About 10 years ago we put an add in the paper. It was the worst thing we could have done really. We got about 60 or so applicants. 50 or so of them thought it was a full time position when it clearly stated in the add it was volunteer (paid on call). I think when it was all said and done, we hired 4 from that recruitment. One quit right away because he got a divorce and moved, 1 quit half way through traning, 1 quit after 2 years because he "didn't like getting out of a warm bed at 3am", and the last one stayed for about 4 years total before he got transfered in his full time job.

So actually, after all that trouble of sorting through applications and resumes, making phone calls, and setting up interviews, we really only got 1 decent person out of it.

Don't waste your time. The best recruiting occurs with word of mouth and public events such as open houses or fire prevention activities.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to put banners on the stations, and now the newer rigs have "Be A Volunteer" on the sides with a phone number... Even did billboards once.

What I thinks works for us is the reputation. We're a well trained and equipped department, and lately we're getting kids out of the local fire science program, because if you're willing to pull duty crews, you don't have to live in district. They meet minimum duty hours, they're fine, and we have quite a few folks that pull it off. We also have a pretty good call volume, so you're guaranteed to get some experience with us.

I'll take that fire science student that will give us two good years over the local POS that shows up just to get the t-shirt. At least the student wants to learn his craft and has ambitions to be something more... He stays a year, and we'll pay for his fire science classes, and any other fire training we can send him to.

There's supposed to be 14 in the next recruit class for us. If I were a betting man, we'll have 6 left in a year though. I hope I'm wrong.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Well I'm not sure a TV commerical would work in our area either. Most people wouldn't pay attention. Recruitment does seem like an uphill battle for a majority of the volunteer stations in my area. Not sure if there is a simple way to get people to join but I will be trying this year not because I've been appointed to the position but because if I don't try, I will feel like a failure.

Thread Information