Thread: Long Beach 2007

Forum Member

Default Odds

There's always hope. I was 26 out of 6,000 and was hired. So there is always a chance. Never give up and hang in there.

Jay
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

They want everyone in the "A Band" to mail in a resume. Now my question is show I just print out my resume on regular paper, fold it up and put in an envelope? Or print it on nice resume paper and keep it straight?

Forum Member

Default Resume

I'd do the latter of the two. It shows you took alittle effort and time plus I have a saying..."It only takes alittle more to go first class".

Jay Dudley
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Any of you who are in the process with Long Beach could you please enlighten me on their Video Based test. TVF&R has the same format test this week and I don't know what I am getting my self into.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    Any of you who are in the process with Long Beach could you please enlighten me on their Video Based test. TVF&R has the same format test this week and I don't know what I am getting my self into.
    Won't go as far to tell you what's on the test -- cheating. However, if your test is along the same lines as Long Beach's, just pay attention. They stated openly that there were no trick questions. You don't need any previous experience for it. Any information needed to help you determine your answer is provided in the test; so essentially there is no studying.

Just relax and pay close attention.

In my humble opinion, answer what you feel is best. I've noted some people studying, getting coaching, trying to figure out what the department wanted to hear rather than answering what they'd honestly do. Yet, if this isn't what your normal on-the-job-reaction will be, then you won't be doing yourself or the department any favors.

Best wishes on the test. Don't stress it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if the Long Beach FD will be having candidates run the Biddle through Rio Hondo or Santa Ana community colleges and, if this is the case, whether there is a set date that candidates are to run?

If the Biddle is run at these locations (since they're listed in the LBFD Academy's website as reference), and if there is no set date for only LBFD candidates, I would rather take the initiative of running it now and completing the task.

Thanks for the info if anyone has it. And, if no one does, be sure to check out the Long Beach Fire Academy's information on both the Biddle and the Academy's physical agility test. The Academy has posted up comprehensive information on both. Both tests look quite do-able with good cardiovascular ability, endurance training, and technique.

*** Note ***
    This post was originally in a different thread. I moved it to this one since the thread's subject line is concise to LBFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

*bump* to keep it visible; someone may know something.

Forum Member

I dont have any facts on this, but I'd assume they would just run the testing at their own academy. Taking the test their wouldnt hurt for the experience of it, but im sure if u even have current biddle or cpat certs it wont make a difference as they'll still only count the run you do with long beach.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ADlBOO View Post
    I dont have any facts on this, but I'd assume they would just run the testing at their own academy. Taking the test their wouldnt hurt for the experience of it, but im sure if u even have current biddle or cpat certs it wont make a difference as they'll still only count the run you do with long beach.
    I appreciate the info. Thank you.

Forum Member

Any word on LB? Is there a target date for the biddle, or has it already happened?

Forum Member

I called about a week ago and they said it would be 3-4 weeks before they sent out letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical

Letter came today. They'll be having several physical tests dates in June. Nothing assigned, you have to call and arrange a time, spaces on availability.

Glad I stayed in shape but I'll get my tail moving to get even better. Several places offer Biddle runs for a fee. May be worth it to guage where improvements can be made. If I get any further information when I call to schedule tomorrow, I will pass it on.

Best wishes to you all on making good time on the test and having fun with it.

Forum Member

Anybody else hear from long beach?

Forum Member

I'm still waiting with fingers crossed. I haven't heard anything about the Biddle yet. Anybody else?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mpowers View Post
    I'm still waiting with fingers crossed. I haven't heard anything about the Biddle yet. Anybody else?
    My letter came awhile ago, and I know that dates are filling up on the Biddle from when I called to schedule mine. Just to check, you did get the letter requesting your resume and you did turn it in, right?

Forum Member

Yup....got a letter and sent in my resume certified mail so i know that it got to their office. I am in Ohio so maybe the post man is taking a bit....I hope....I have been on a 48 so i haven't been to the mail box for quite some time so maybe it is waiting there for me like the golden ticket from 'Willy Wonka'. I will be moving to Ventura, CA this coming Monday so hopefully that will put me in a better seat to achieving some dreams and goals... Well good luck to you (all). Keep me posted if anybody hears anything else.....By the way, I sure could use some good contacts out there very soon. The fire service is completly different than here in Ohio so any advice is great. I am already NREMT Medic and my fire card won't transfer to Cali so I have enrolled in the fire academy in Santa Barbara for this summer if LB doesn't work out....Anybody know anything about them? And I have applied to LA city and the county....Well, that's enough about me.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=mpowers;820580]Yup....got a letter and sent in my resume certified mail so i know that it got to their office. [QUOTE]

It may be worth a phone call then. Word of mouth carried it that not everyone was called to the Biddle, but I don't know if that information is reliable and, especially since you are out of state, it is worth a call to make sure that there wasn't a mail delivery problem.

Ventura is a great city. Are you at all familiar with Southern California, or are the contacts you looking for strictly for fire service? As far as Sourthern California goes, I'd be happy to assist. I'm not too far away, and I'm in Ventura a quite a bit for surfing and visiting family (Andrea's at Ventura Harbor for fish and chips... trust me on this one).

Also, at the Long Beach exam, I was chatting with a Fireman from the Cleavland area. Wouldn't happen to be you, would it? (long blonde in office attire)

Thread Information