Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Beach 2007

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Long Beach 2007

I just got my letter to test for the City of Long Beach, Ca on the 15th of Feb. They are doing a video based scenario test, mechanical aptitude and reading test. Does anyone have any advise on what to expect from the video based scenario test? It doesn't appear that they have any study guide or anything. Also if anyone has any advise/information on the Long Beach Fire Dept. It would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks
    Ty

MembersZone Subscriber

check the city of ann arbor michigan's site, or mpffu.org. on their application page there is a link to the company that designs the tests and you can purchase a password to sample tests

Forum Member

If it's the video based scenairo test, the BPAD, then it's a bit strange. You sit in a room being video taped while you watch a TV screen that presents scenarios to you, then pauses for 45 seconds while you answer "what you would do" in the given scenario. You can answer in 10, or talk for the 45 and get cut off.

I would definitely get the study guide if you don't know what they're expecting.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the responses. As far as I know there isn't a study guide. Did anyone else apply?

Forum Member

By study guide I mean what djm said about getting a password at the Ann Arbor site to get some practice tests.

Good luck.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied and got the letter yesterday. I'm not going though. I can't afford $1200 for plane tickets then another few hundred for hotel and car rental. I applied a bit late so I can't use my frequent flyer miles for this trip. I really want to get out of WI and work somewhere a bit warmer, but I guess I'll have to wait. On top of that I just missed my classes on Monday to take the Madison, WI test. Good luck though.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm taking the test on the 14th. I found this website with the practice test but it won't load on my computer. Someone on another site told me it is a waste of $22.

http://www.ergometricsonline.com/ftt/sample_intro.cfm

I hope that helps. Good luck on the test.
    PK

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fireteam is different from BPAD isnt it? Fireteam gives you answers to choose from after the video scenario and BPAD makes you decide for yourself as if you're there. I actually saw some fireteam videos today and it didn't seem that difficult. BPAD on the other hand doesn't sound too fun, I have to do the BPAD monday.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of my teachers was talking about it the other day. He gave an example where you arrive at the scene and ALS comes out saying that the baby is dead. However, they need the baby for the investigation or something like that. How will you tell the mother? Then you just have to make sure you don't say something like, "I know how you feel." You have to say something more like, "I'm sorry for your loss." Hope that helps. I think it's actually a good way to test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone in Long Beach Tonight?

well, as perfect as timing could get, My friend I was staying with is out of town for a family emergency, Is anyone in LGB tonight that might be able to put me up for the test? Long shot but figured I'd ask and try to save myself the money.

Thumbs up good luck

As a retired Firefighter from Long Beach I would like to wish all good luck with the up coming exam. There's no better place to work.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Long Beach is a GREAT department. I have been a member of their Marine Safety Division for 5 years now. I know a lot of guys what are firefighters for them. Also for the Video based test there is NO WRONG answer. The CORRECT answer is the answer that LBFD would select. Not which might actually be correct. If that makes sense

MembersZone Subscriber

wow, they used the same video portion as NJ's civil service test, hah lucky me. When i was let in, and showed them my ID, they were all amazed that I came all the way from NJ to take this test, but hey, LB is one of the top 5 depts on my list. Hope you guys did well, we should be getting out letters soon. Remember if you haven't gotten your letters by march 15th, give em a call.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just recently checked out Long Beach's civil service website and it seems that they have another "tentative test" for the following year. I was wondering if anyone knows if they are keeping this years list, and if so, how long does the list last. Last thing I want to do is pay to go out and test for LB again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anyone receive their letters yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

why are they hiring again so soon? Did they get a low attendance for the last test?

MembersZone Subscriber

I still have not received my test results back from Long Beach. Has anyone else?

Forum Member

No nothing yet

Default List

The test that was done this year is good for three years. The City was going to test yearly but is too expensive. The final results will put you in a Band and that Band will be good for 3 years.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

How many bands and how many in each of them?

Thread Information