Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Single person extension ladder raise??

jl
    Forum Member

Was NV, now trying for FL. Anyways...
    Tested today. Luckily for me, there were some cool folks hanging about the bldgs yesterady evening and gave me a quick runthru. Yes, lots of commands and has to be done a certain way. But I actually think I did it OK, for the first (and only time) doing it solo.
    Thanks for everyones input, it actually helped me a great deal.

Now let me see if I have anymore questions....

Forum Member

In my academy (Southern-California) we had to throw a 16(beam/flat raise) and a 24 extension (beam/flat raise) single person. 28 was a 2 person(beam/flat raise) 35 (flat raise) was a 3 person and the bangor ladder which was 45 i believe was a 6 person raise. all of our ladder raises except for the 16 flat raise were put up away from the building to allow the ladders to live longer and not be abused becuase of the building material.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jason6368 View Post
    all of our ladder raises except for the 16 flat raise were put up away from the building to allow the ladders to live longer and not be abused becuase of the building material.
    Jason,

I'm not sure I read this right-your academy does not train to actually use ladders over 16' on a building?
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 06-26-2007 at 08:01 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

We recently worked on the one person ladder raise. It is not something that is taught in our drill school and as far as I knew, was not an approved method, but, in a pinch, it's good to be able to know how to do it. We used the building to butt the ladder to raise it, pulled it out a couple of inches and then extended the ladder. It's not ideal, but like I said, in a pinch, it's better than no ladder at all.

sts060, we have those ladders with the tormentor poles as well. They're bangor ladders (although I have my own name for them), they can be put up with 4 people if needed, but it can be a rough go, especially in a hurry. Ours are 50 feet and I believe there is a 60 foot hanging around somewhere. I've never seen one use outside of drill school, but if they're ever taken off the truck that's when someone will say, "We could have used a bangor here."

Banned

I have a 40' extension ladder that I raise all the time by myself around the house. What is the big deal?
    Last edited by HotTrotter; 06-26-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Originally Posted by Jason6368
    all of our ladder raises except for the 16 flat raise were put up away from the building to allow the ladders to live longer and not be abused becuase of the building material.

What kind of "building material" do they use by you that eats ladders??

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    I have a 40' extension ladder that I raise all the time by myself around the house. What is the big deal?
    Quite possibly the quality of the ladder? It's not likely that the ladders on the trucks are the same as the lightweight ladders you can buy at Home Depot. You can put up a 40 footer alone, eh? How about grabbing a bangor (40 footer) and send us the video. lol...

Forum Member

kenNFD, no, the 16 butt is pushed against the bottom of the building and "walked" up against the building.

len, i might be reading some peoples post all wrong but it seems to me that a ladder is extended with it against the wall, with the tip being pushed up the wall. We wouldnt do that becuase the concrete will act as a file against the aluminum beams. Our ladders have to last quite a few academy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Higby916 View Post
    You can put up a 40 footer alone, eh? How about grabbing a bangor (40 footer) and send us the video. lol...
    You have to understand; if HT was actually any kind of firefighter he'd know that a 40' fire service ladder is both considerably heavier and longer than a 40' homeowner/contractor ladder. You shouldn't hold his ignorance against him.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    You have to understand; if HT was actually any kind of firefighter he'd know that a 40' fire service ladder is both considerably heavier and longer than a 40' homeowner/contractor ladder. You shouldn't hold his ignorance against him.
    LOL... I'm beginning to see this! I would still like to see a vid of him putting up a 40 foot service ladder on his own!!! That would be a good one!

He even built his own ladder truck....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFDE37 View Post
    A single person 24 (2 section ladder)/26 (3 section ladder) ft extension ladder throw without touching the building is a regular evolution that is taught in our drill school (Seattle Fire). All recruits are expected to complete this in order to graduate.
    The ladder is carried with the beam resting on the (right) shoulder, once at the location the lower spur is placed on the ground while simultaneously raising and pivoting the ladder. Once up, your (right) knee is on the outside of beam with your (right) foot on the inside. Other (left) foot is back providing stability and your hands are on the halyard. Extend the ladder to desired height and place into the building.
    I'm right handed so that is why I've placed right/left the way I did.
    Great way to throw a 24!

We were taught this technique in my RA, 07-02 at the WSFTA.

Poulin

Forum Member

that is the same way we would throw the 24

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Lets see if I can remember it....
    me....SIR, THIS RECRUIT REQUESTS PERMISSION TO CHECK OVER MY LADDER, SIR!?
    State dude...Permission granted
    (this is where you try to catch your breath after the minuteman)

SIR, THIS RECRUIT IS NOW READY TO BEGIN!

Test starts when you first touch the equiptment

PREPARING TO BEAM LADDER, BEAMING LADDER
    PREPARING TO CARRY LADDER, CARRYING LADDER
    NO GROUND OBSTRUCTIONS, NO OVERHEAD OBSTRUCTIONS, LADDER COMING
    LADDER LEFT, LADDER COMING
    LADDER RIGHT, LADDER COMING
    NO GROUND OBSTRUCTIONS, NO OVERHEAD OBSTRUCTIONS, LADDER COMING
    PREPARING TO STOP, STOPPING
    PREPARING TO LOWER LADDER, LOWERING LADDER
    PREPARING TO BED LADDER, BEDDING LADDER
    PREPARING TO RAISE LADDER, RAISING LADDER
    now you raise, and extend ladder, set to proper climbing angle, tie your clove hitch, stand behind ladder as to butt ladder and state

AND READY TO CLIMB!
    Do NOT let go until the to safetys have taken the ladder from you

Any of my Fla Brothers care to make any changes?
    I would also suggest "Noting wind sped and direction, and noting no obstructions on the ground (again, i stated alot of things twice just to cover my butt)"

And "Tips secure, dogs are locked, butt is squared, haylard is tied, and propper climbing angle...Sir ladder is butted and ready to climb."

Otherwise everything sounds right. I got out of the academy in December, hated state day.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And...............

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    He even built his own ladder truck....

And there you have it..... The poster child for Product Liability.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a bit confused. He said you cannot use the building which seems impossible if its a big ladder. However, all of the responses and the video are with butting the ladder against the building. Maybe I read the original post wrong? I wasn't taught how to do a single person raise at the academy, but once on my dept they showed me and told me that's how I'll usually put one up.

MAYBE IF ALL OF THESE CITIES WOULD STOP WITH THE BUDGET CUTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I'm a bit confused. He said you cannot use the building which seems impossible if its a big ladder. However, all of the responses and the video are with butting the ladder against the building. Maybe I read the original post wrong? I wasn't taught how to do a single person raise at the academy, but once on my dept they showed me and told me that's how I'll usually put one up.

Butt said ladder against building, and raise ladder. Pull out 6 inches, then extend ladder with 3 points of contact.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

IF you are in a narrow alley way it is IMPOSSIBLE to butt the ladder against the building. If possible you need to sink the single butt of the lower beam in the carry into soft ground or gravel or even against a crack in the pavement and beam raise the ladder. If nothing is there to butt he ladder against it is entirely possible and safe to raise the ladder on its beam without it if you have practiced this. Using the high shoulder carry in this instance may be the preferred carry.

A single person raise of a 24 foot ladder should be a requirement of every recruit academy. It is not an impossible task and if done properly, after practice of course, it is not dangerous either.

FyredUp

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post

Butt said ladder against building, and raise ladder. Pull out 6 inches, then extend ladder with 3 points of contact.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I'm not quite sure why you reposted this, But if it is response to my post...I simply stated a scenario where the "Butt the ladder against the building" idea simply won't work and what the alternative is. Now if you have a way of laying the roughly 14 feet of a 24 foot ladder across a 4 to 10 foot wide alley to butt it against the building please do share it.

FyredUp

Thread Information