+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Single person extension ladder raise??

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    About fifteen years ago, a brother Jake from Group 2 made a rescue off of a
    3rd floor balcony via ground ladder. He threw a 35 footer all by himself
    (adrenaline is a wonderful thing....)

He got the "Firefighter of the Year" award from the local Masonic Lodge that year.
    Throw a 35' single man!? What an animal!

Forum Member

I am sure there was no "throwing" involved. It was probrably more like dragging and straining! I am sure any firefighter (medium build or bigger) could get a 35 up when the time arises-just wouldn't be pretty!
    Last edited by masterFF; 10-03-2007 at 02:38 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Raising a ladder alone is child's play. It isn't a big deal and happens all of the time. Heck most of the time I have whoever helped to carry the ladder stand on the bottom of it and I just walk it up. I guess if you can't get a 40 footer up by yourself then you need to go back into the office. Just kidding about the 40 foot part. 28 is do able though. And actually so is a 40 footer, but it isn't a fire service ladder.
    A 28 is possible but should not be expected of everyone like a 24 should be(depending on the ladder of course). An alco-lite truss beam ladder is 118 lbs, that could be a lot for some.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by masterFF View Post
    An alco-lite truss beam ladder is 118 lbs, that could be a lot for some.
    Then they shouldn't be firefighting. The fry basket at Burger King is much lighter.

Forum Member

He got the "Firefighter of the Year" award from the local Masonic Lodge that year.
    We had a Chief (now retired) that use to bench press the 35' then bust all the young guys balls. Great guy, very smart.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Then they shouldn't be firefighting. The fry basket at Burger King is much lighter.
    OK, are you saying that in your department, every firefighter is expected to routinely throw a 28' ladder by themselves?

Banned

A 28 is possible but should not be expected of everyone like a 24 should be(depending on the ladder of course). An alco-lite truss beam ladder is 118 lbs, that could be a lot for some.
    Only 118 lbs??? What is the big deal? You put the base against the building and walk it up. You aren't lifting the whole 118 lbs at one time.

the 4-1-4

OK, are you saying that in your department, every firefighter is expected to routinely throw a 28' ladder by themselves?

No, not at all. I'm simply saying that if you can't put one up by yourself, there are other places to work.
    The way things are right now, administration here doesn't expect anyone to be able to do their job. Things are changing, but the department heads, in the past, have found it more important to worry more about making people feel good about themselves rather than to make people perform job tasks required to do this job. We have a lot of people on the job who can't put a 24ft or 28ft up alone. I will also say that I don't want to work on the same company as any of these people; they are incompetent as firefighters.

In recruit school, we routinely put 24 and 28 ft ground ladders up on an individual basis, along with roof ladders that weigh far more than the 118lbs you listed.

My opinion is that any firefighter on any department should be able to put a 24ft or 28ft ground ladder up alone, including a 20ft roof ladder. I say it meaning volunteer or career, it's all the same after all, isn't it? If a firefighter can't do that, perhaps they should be working somewhere else. No excuses, no reasons why they can't throw the ladder, just put it up.

In my mind, a person who can't put a smaller ground ladder up alone is as useless as someone who doesn't know how to use an iron properly. Get them out of the field until they can do all aspects of the job properly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Well said

No, not at all. I'm simply saying that if you can't put one up by yourself, there are other places to work.
    The way things are right now, administration here doesn't expect anyone to be able to do their job. Things are changing, but the department heads, in the past, have found it more important to worry more about making people feel good about themselves rather than to make people perform job tasks required to do this job. We have a lot of people on the job who can't put a 24ft or 28ft up alone. I will also say that I don't want to work on the same company as any of these people; they are incompetent as firefighters.

In recruit school, we routinely put 24 and 28 ft ground ladders up on an individual basis, along with roof ladders that weigh far more than the 118lbs you listed.

My opinion is that any firefighter on any department should be able to put a 24ft or 28ft ground ladder up alone, including a 20ft roof ladder. I say it meaning volunteer or career, it's all the same after all, isn't it? If a firefighter can't do that, perhaps they should be working somewhere else. No excuses, no reasons why they can't throw the ladder, just put it up.

In my mind, a person who can't put a smaller ground ladder up alone is as useless as someone who doesn't know how to use an iron properly. Get them out of the field until they can do all aspects of the job properly.
    Well Said Jasper!!! Gone are the days where the saying "If you cant take the heat get the FU$K out of the kitchen!!" held true. Now a days we are changing the saying to " If you cant take the Heat allow me to turn it down a bit or change your job so you are not so close to the heat."

It's pathetic, when I grew up you were not given a thing. You had to make the team with try outs and YES they cut people. If you were not able to do a task they assigned your task to someone else and ribbed you for being to slow or weak. You know what this did it ****ed me off and I worked harder to prove to people I WAS good enough!!!!

Todays touchy feel good society is ruining work ethic and job superiority. Like Jasper said anyone in the fire servce should be able to throw a 24 or 28 foot ladder alone. I dont care who they are what race, sex or otherwise if you can do the tasks fine if not maybe the job is not for you!!!
    But thats not what is said. We say dont worry about it keep working on it, someone will be there to help you, maybe this is one task you are not good at!! Instead we should say if you cant do it and do it right you cant work/volunteer here!!!!

ITS PEOPLES LIVES ON THE LINE!!!!!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Both of you guys got it...... If you can't do the job... well then you need a new job!!! I wish you guys were part of our admin!
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LtJohns355 View Post
    Both of you guys got it...... If you can't do the job... well then you need a new job!!! I wish you guys were part of our admin!
    It's not the admin. It's the PC crowd and the courts.

Hook & Can

It's not the admin. It's the PC crowd and the courts.
    From what I know and what I've heard...some of the Philly guys might disagree with you.

Forum Member

Get the Pumper style ladders. 24' is only 75 lbs as opposed to the heavier Truss style.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

You aren't lifting the whole 118 lbs at one time.
    how are your getting it from the truck to the building?

Forum Member

including a 20ft roof ladder. I say it meaning volunteer or career, it's all the same after all, isn't it?
    the heaviest 20' ladder I could find is about 65 lbs. I agree that everyone should be expected to do that with no trouble at all. If people are expected to set up ladders alone, the right ladders need to be purchased. a 28' solid beam (2 section) duo-safety is 87lbs. 87 lbs is very do-able alone and should be expected of EVERY firefighter. A 28' alco-lite truss beam (3 section) is 154 lbs. That is a difference of 67 lbs that I think makes the difference between easily maneuverable and not. If you are asking ALL firefighters to be able to routinely maneuver a piece of equipment 13' long weighing 154 lbs i think you will see an increase in sprains, strains, and back injuries.

Banned

how are your getting it from the truck to the building?
    Carry it with two hands. Ever pick up an 80 lb bag of cement? UPS folks have to be handle packages up to 150 lbs. Surely a firefighter can carry something as light as 120 lb ladder.

Forum Member

Carry it with two hands. Ever pick up an 80 lb bag of cement? UPS folks have to be handle packages up to 150 lbs. Surely a firefighter can carry something as light as 120 lb ladder.
    not every employee of ups has to carry 150 lbs. Most of them move items less than 70. When an item bigger than 70 lbs is moved, the physical lifting and moving of that package is limited. (2 reasons, 1-the conveyor systems are not rated to handle 70+ packages, 2-minimize injuries)

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree.

Tackling a running back in the NFL is a bit much for some people as well...those people don't play in the NFL.

Just the same....if throwing a heavy ladder is a bit much for you...you shouldn't be employed by a fire department.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I agree.

Tackling a running back in the NFL is a bit much for some people as well...those people don't play in the NFL.

Just the same....if throwing a heavy ladder is a bit much for you...you shouldn't be employed by a fire department.

FTM-PTB
    Wish the department I work for had more people like you on the line.

Forum Member

Same goes for you.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Same goes for you.

Lifting a ladder is not a problem for me, is it for you?

I have no clue what your remark is for.

Forum Member

It was a compliment. Must be hard to tell on the message board with all of the negative comments all of the time.

Yourself, FFFRED, and I have the same opinion on the single man ladder extensions. I wish I worked with more people like yourselfs.

Truckie

I'll be the first to admit, you need a little lead in your pencil to toss a 35' fire service ladder by yourself!
    As far as masterFF's question about all fire department requiring a single person 24' ladder raise-in St. Paul, if you can not do it during the practical testing phase of the recruit academy, you will get fired.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    It was a compliment. Must be hard to tell on the message board with all of the negative comments all of the time.

Yourself, FFFRED, and I have the same opinion on the single man ladder extensions. I wish I worked with more people like yourselfs.

It can be hard to tell, at times. My apologies for misunderstanding you, sorry.

Sometimes it's the private messages one receives that make it easy to miss-read posts, not that you sent me a negative private message.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    As far as masterFF's question about all fire department requiring a single person 24' ladder raise-in St. Paul, if you can not do it during the practical testing phase of the recruit academy, you will get fired.
    I agree that a 24' should be expected and a 28' is possible and a 35' can be done. I just want to know if everyone thinks that a 28' should be EXPECTED.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information