Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Single person extension ladder raise??

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMSgrrl View Post
    I'll bet OSHA would have a field day at your department.

OSHA bases its safety mandates on NFPA codes and standards. Why do we have standards for safety on the fireground? So more of us get to go home and enjoy our lives once the fire's over. It doesn't make any difference to your widow how short-staffed your department was when you did something stupid in an effort to overcome that manpower shortage. Our number one priority on the fireground is personal safety, period. Sure, you can raise an extension ladder by yourself. But is it worth it?
    I will be perhaps more blunt than some here in my response to your posting.

The single person raise of a 24 foot extension ladder does require a certain amount of strength AND practice to master. Practice can occur until the skill is mastered, strength is another issue. It may or may not be present or even attainable depending on body size of the "firefighter."

Your post however is indicative of the "new age" firefigthter types. Codes, standards, OSHA, NFPA all being used as an excuse not to do the job. I am sorry but we aren't even close to being cut from the same cloth if you won't raise a 24 footer by yourself to a window to effect rescue of trapped civilians because of some perceived code that says you shouldn't. I am sure the victims relatives will be completely comforted by that thought.

The raising of a 24 foot extension ladder by a single firefighter is a skill that should be required by every firefighter before they are allowed to pass the academy. It is a task that is accomplished thousands of times a year across this country and if it was as dangerous as you imply we would be getting hundreds of near miss reports about it. I haven't seen a single one...

Perhaps EMS is a better avenue for you.

Have a nice day.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

Your post however is indicative of the "new age" firefigthter types. Codes, standards, OSHA, NFPA all being used as an excuse not to do the job.
    Please do not lump us all together again.

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Please do not lump us all together again.
    I didn't mention anyone specifically. If you feel the shoe fits wear it and embrace what you are. Otherwise I wonder why you felt the need to comment as you did.

Thumbs down

I didn't mention anyone specifically. If you feel the shoe fits wear it and embrace what you are. Otherwise I wonder why you felt the need to comment as you did.
    I don't understand the confusion. Let me break it down into terms you might understand better.

You made a generalized blanket statement about young firefighters that are coming on the job and there work ethic.

Does it make sense for me to say firefighters hired 10 or more years ago are all fat slobs that arn't in shape?

Didn't think so.

Your post however is indicative of the "new age" firefigthter types.
    Don't Confuse "new age" with us younger guys. To become a Career FF in Fla, you must demonstrate that you can do a single person raise at least times....after pulling a charged 1 3/4 line 100 feet, and knocking down 3 cones, with no break. Once while in the academy, once to pass the academy, once to pass the state test, and once more each time you try out for a dept. Minimum of 4 times.
    Some of us young guys don't mind the hard work, and embrace the traditions of the Fire Service. Some of us don't. I do, and try to distance myself from those that don't.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

How about most of the time. How many have laddered a normal residence with eaves. Not going to work sticking it up against the building.
    Well, to be honest, most of the sh*tbox houses in my area aren't tall enough to have to extend the 24 footer, we just throw it against the building and drag the roofer up...

Oh, and yeah - we still go on the roof if the incident calls for it. Just stirring the pot a little. You should have heard the folks whine when one of the engines had a 26 foot three fly ladder, due to space issues. Wah... It ain't that much heavier than a 24 footer, well that twenty pounds will get you.
    Last edited by npfd801; 09-29-2007 at 02:15 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

I don't understand the confusion. Let me break it down into terms you might understand better.

You made a generalized blanket statement about young firefighters that are coming on the job and there work ethic.

Does it make sense for me to say firefighters hired 10 or more years ago are all fat slobs that arn't in shape?

Didn't think so.
    Ummmm, I have reread this paragraph that I posted a couple of times and I don't see anywhere that I mentioned an age bracket for the "New Age" firefighter types. If you believe I am referenciong the younger generation then that is your interpretation. A "new age" type is to me a firefighter or officer of any age that uses codes, and standards and sog's and whatever as an excuse not to do the job. I have known far too many of these types and not all of them were youngsters. Of course we need to practice safety, but the ridiculous overzealousness of some today in trying to make this job as safe as being a grocery store clerk is simply not rational thinking. If you want complete safety do not become a firefighter because there are times this job is dangerous.

Your post however is indicative of the "new age" firefigthter types. Codes, standards, OSHA, NFPA all being used as an excuse not to do the job. I am sorry but we aren't even close to being cut from the same cloth if you won't raise a 24 footer by yourself to a window to effect rescue of trapped civilians because of some perceived code that says you shouldn't. I am sure the victims relatives will be completely comforted by that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Don't Confuse "new age" with us younger guys. To become a Career FF in Fla, you must demonstrate that you can do a single person raise at least times....after pulling a charged 1 3/4 line 100 feet, and knocking down 3 cones, with no break. Once while in the academy, once to pass the academy, once to pass the state test, and once more each time you try out for a dept. Minimum of 4 times.
    Some of us young guys don't mind the hard work, and embrace the traditions of the Fire Service. Some of us don't. I do, and try to distance myself from those that don't.
    As I stated in my response to BKDRAFT I didn;t mention an age group, I mentioned a mind set. Please reread and comprehend what I wrote before accusing me of blanket condeming the younger generation.

Quote Originally Posted by masterFF View Post
    In the video it appears that the halyard was tied around both rungs. (bed and fly) Is this common practice?
    Thats the only way I've done it. Am I missing something?
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post

We have all of our ground ladders without ever having to untie a knot. Two and three section. The ends at the anchor points have there fibers opened up and "reweaved" back into the rope itself. Many of our truck companies keep spools of rope in quarters and change the halyards ourselves.

Talking

pretty simple task to raise a 24' by yourself....

whats everyone arguing about?

Don, you should ask him where the code is that says: "one firefighter shall not raise a 24' ladder of any kind by himself"...

He prolly won't post anymore... would be too busy looking for somthing that doesn't exist
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtJohns355 View Post
    pretty simple task to raise a 24' by yourself....

whats everyone arguing about?
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

I was surprised that places use more than one person to put up a 24.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I was surprised that places use more than one person to put up a 24.
    Must be nice...I wonder what kind of staffing they have?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We are generally expected to be able to throw a 28' by ourselves. I can't remember the last time we had to throw a 24' but im sure 1 man did it.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    Well if you tie it around both then you have to untie it before you extend the ladder. If it is only tied to the bed section, throw the ladder, pull the halyard, and go make your rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by masterFF View Post
    Well if you tie it around both then you have to untie it before you extend the ladder. If it is only tied to the bed section, throw the ladder, pull the halyard, and go make your rescue!
    OK now you're gonna make me think and it's early here. I can't visualize this.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    We are generally expected to be able to throw a 28' by ourselves. I can't remember the last time we had to throw a 24' but im sure 1 man did it.
    a 28 can be a little heavy depending on what style/brand. It is possible and I wouldn't hesitate if it was needed, but I don't think a 28 should be considered a one person ladder. (where a 24 could easily be a one person ladder)

Banned

Raising a ladder alone is child's play. It isn't a big deal and happens all of the time. Heck most of the time I have whoever helped to carry the ladder stand on the bottom of it and I just walk it up. I guess if you can't get a 40 footer up by yourself then you need to go back into the office. Just kidding about the 40 foot part. 28 is do able though. And actually so is a 40 footer, but it isn't a fire service ladder.

About fifteen years ago, a brother Jake from Group 2 made a rescue off of a
    3rd floor balcony via ground ladder. He threw a 35 footer all by himself
    (adrenaline is a wonderful thing....)

He got the "Firefighter of the Year" award from the local Masonic Lodge that year.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information