Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Demo/Stock Apparatus ?

Would your fire department purchase a demo/stock fire apparatus. please list your ( likes or dislikes ) most apparatus builders will reduce the price between 5- 10 % off a demo truck!

Forum Member

Default stock ok 5-10% NOT all demos though

demos should be reduced in cost according to the year of manufacture and milage...so not a standard mere 5-10%...but something better....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Would your fire department purchase a demo/stock fire apparatus. please list your ( likes or dislikes ) most apparatus builders will reduce the price between 5- 10 % off a demo truck!
    Yes we purchased a stock contender pumper off of Pierce and turned it into a nice little rescue pumper for us. While it was a new truck not a demo we have been happy with it. We did almost purchse one of the demos they brought up to show us. While it has some little extras that we added for the most part its stock and has done the job well for us so far. The best advantage I can see of a demo unit it the quick delivery time and most of the bugs would have been worked out of it.

Forum Member

We have one 85' PAP Quint from Pierce purchased in '99. It was one of the first multiplexing units so they had to do some upgrade work as time rolled on but otherwise it has been decent. To me its' okay if you need something that will fit your needs in a hurry. Just make sure there is a warranty with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is over ten years ago.... but we had a crew cab pickup which served as our light rescue. Jaws, PPV fan, generator and a variety of goodies were in the back, exposed to the elements. We were shopping for a badly-needed upgrade and picked up a demo light rescue with service box. It looked great and seemed promising, it was able to do everything the old truck could do plus had an onboard cascade and kept stuff in compartments, except it was a two seater. We missed the ability to transport five guys. We soon found that the chassis was not happy with the cascade bottles and all our other equipment, it was over its weight rating. We ended up replacing it just four years later with a heavy rescue that could do all the things we had really wanted our rescue to do.

We got a pretty good deal on it and it brought some new things to the table, but in the end it replaced one set of problems with a whole new set. Probably would have been wise to buy the right truck the first time.

You have to somehow determine on what things you're willing to compromise from your ideal spec to save a few shekels, and do so without being dazzled by the spiffy demo sitting on the apron asking you to take it home.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

One of our neighboring companies bought a demo engine from E-One back in 1995. It's still their first-out engine and it has served them well, as far as I know. I suppose it depends on your needs. They replaced a 12 year-old stock rig on a commercial chassis with a new stock/demo on a custom chassis, kept the same general body and compartment configuration but got seating for 6 instead of 2 and a bigger pump...which were the two things they were really after in a new rig anyway. Before you ask, I don't know how much money they saved on the demo vs a new build.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department purchased a demo engine from Ferrara Fire in Feb 2006. It was there first stainless steel rescue pumper and had 12k miles on it. The engine is great and like stated before in this post all the bugs have been worked out. We were able to purchase the engine for $289k. Which was a huge savings for our fire district.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We purchased a stock "program" truck (engine) from American LaFrance in 2000. It's been a good truck so far, I think it's well laid out and plenty of compartment space, handles well, has been reliable so far. My only regret is that we purchased a commercial chassis (Freightliner) instead of a custom cab (but I wasn't chief then). Other than that, you don't get a lot of bells and whistles but overall a good truck for a reasonable price (I think we paid about $130,000).

Compartments were so spacious that we moved all our extriction tools to this unit and it has worked out well.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

The question you have to ask yourself is how "custom" do you NEED your rig.
    By us if an engine has => 750 gallons and => then a 1250 pump then we would be able to make it work by us. minor copmpartment differences or layout isn't important. It all depends on your financial situation also.
    We have the money to purchase whatever we want. Our maintenance person specs our rigs (don't ask) and based on his job, in the past, we could get anything and it would work just as well.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    We purchased a stock "program" truck (engine) from American LaFrance in 2000. It's been a good truck so far, I think it's well laid out and plenty of compartment space, handles well, has been reliable so far. My only regret is that we purchased a commercial chassis (Freightliner) instead of a custom cab (but I wasn't chief then). Other than that, you don't get a lot of bells and whistles but overall a good truck for a reasonable price (I think we paid about $130,000).

Compartments were so spacious that we moved all our extriction tools to this unit and it has worked out well.
    Our department purchased a brand new " program " apparatus pumper in 2005, a KME Extreme Series Excel custom chassis. I do not see any problem buying a demo apparatus with low miles & hours to save your department $ 10,000 or more and a shorter waiting time for the rig to be delivered !..

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We bought a demo, but the only real advantage was the delivery time.

We will soon have spent more than we saved retrofitting options that it did not have, but since we really needed a truck quickly, it was worth it.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Our department purchased a brand new " program " apparatus pumper in 2005, a KME Extreme Series Excel custom chassis. I do not see any problem buying a demo apparatus with low miles & hours to save your department $ 10,000 or more and a shorter waiting time for the rig to be delivered !..
    When I refer to "program" I don't mean "program" in the sense that you might buy a program vehicle from the local car dealership....that is, by "program" I mean not a demo or used apparatus but a non-customized "cookie-cutter" truck that most of the major manufacturers offer. This is a brand new truck I'm referring to.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    When I refer to "program" I don't mean "program" in the sense that you might buy a program vehicle from the local car dealership....that is, by "program" I mean not a demo or used apparatus but a non-customized "cookie-cutter" truck that most of the major manufacturers offer. This is a brand new truck I'm referring to.
    Yes I know, our program pumper started out as a " cookie-cutter " then we added options like a 6" front suction , 1,5" front trash line , Q2 siren , 3" rear discharge ,hose bed cover, etc. on a custom chassis for $ 275,000 !..

The departments Ive worked for have had good luck with stock/demos. My former department purchased a Spartan/FMC pumper in 1990 and it was a good rig. Never had any problems with it.

Where I work now has an 02 Pierce Enforcer pumper that was a demo rig. It was the rig they built for the Daytona 500 that year. Its been a good rig as well.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information