Thread: Any new DJ's

Forum Member

Default Any new DJ's

Trying to confirm a rumor that approx 1700 DJ emails were sent out this AM. Did anyone receive one of these?

Forum Member

Thumbs down Just now.

The DJ just hit my email 2 minutes ago.

The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was useful, but not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits.
    Last edited by Wolf8552; 02-08-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Default At least the limbo dance is over...

As a result of reviewing your 2006 grant application, the panelists' scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., the application had merit. Regrettably, after awarding departments with scores higher than the scores assigned to your department's application, we do not have enough funding to offer you an award at this time.

Gotta keep positive, pick it up and move forward.

Forum Member

Unhappy Just Got the DJ

We just recieved ours, at least more detail then last year but still not overly helpful. Airpacks denied for the 2nd year in a row.

'The panelists scored four elements of your application narrative: 1) clarity of the project description, 2) demonstration of financial need, 3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds and 4) affect on daily operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was useful, but not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits.'
    Last edited by KennypSHFD; 02-08-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Angry Got DJed today too.

Yes we too got the DJ email today. I just opened it a few minutes ago. It was not there about 1400 EST this afternoon. That makes us 1 for 5. We were approved last year for turnouts, helmets, boots, etc. We tried for SCBA this year thinking it would be the next logical step, and we do need them badly. I thought I had written a pretty convincing narrative, but I guess not convincing enough.

Congrats to those who made it through this DJ round. You must be very close to approval.

Phil
    Be Smart, Be Strong, Be Safe
    Make Sure Everyone Gets Home

Phil

Remember 9/11/2001
    FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by KennypSHFD View Post

'The panelists scored four elements of your application narrative: 1) clarity of the project description, 2) demonstration of financial need, 3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds and 4) affect on daily operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was useful, but not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits.'
    Must be what they say in this round. Ours said the same thing. At least we can start working on next year's app now.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by timmct View Post
    As a result of reviewing your 2006 grant application, the panelists' scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., the application had merit. Regrettably, after awarding departments with scores higher than the scores assigned to your department's application, we do not have enough funding to offer you an award at this time.

Look at the difference between this one and kenny and jboczek got. Timmct, yours reads like you might have a shot in the "excess funding" round--if it happens. It's the "we just ran out of funding" response.

earl (my opinion only)

Forum Member

It sounds to me like this was the final DJ round. However, your DJ was worded slightly different than the others posted here. It looks like yours would qualify for one of the "callback" awards if there is money left over.

Good attitude to have...the next year is right around the corner. Just a few tweaks and you should be good!

Forum Member

earl takes the credit for faster typing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nah, i started 20 minutes sooner!!

earl (i'm a slow typist, but it's faster than i think)

Forum Member

Well it time to say good by to the Limbo Club, the DJ has arrived and closed down the party I have been trying for the same project for three years and each time I make it to the final DJ party. I just wish I new what is not allowing us to make into the celebration club.

Forum Member

Default Positive from the Negative

If there's anything positive we can take out of this 'experience' it's that we keep getting closer every year. We're still charter members of the 0-fer club, but this year's DJ leads me to believe that we were very close to being awarded....and we still may be in the supplemental round(s), who knows.

The thing we'll have to discuss is how to move forward from here. There's no doubt in my ex-military mind that we have a well documented need for this firefighter safety equipment. It's how you communicate that need that we're having issues with (I think).

We attended Brian's seminar in Salem NY and it was an excellent learning experience..just wish we had done that BEFORE!! Doah! Having said that, I think we covered everything he suggested in the narrative, maybe not as elegant as he put it, but it's all in there somewhere...

By the way, we've also been trying for SCBA for the last 3 years.

I gave it my best shot. I'd like to think that my narrative got us closer this year but it just may be the fact that our equipment is even closer to disintegrating into dust before our eyes.

MembersZone Subscriber

chief1120,

What have you been trying for?

If you would like some input on the narrative, email (profile) me a copy and I'll take a look at it for you and give you suggestions.

MembersZone Subscriber

We attended Brian's seminar in Salem NY and it was an excellent learning experience..just wish we had done that BEFORE!! Doah! Having said that, I think we covered everything he suggested in the narrative, maybe not as elegant as he put it, but it's all in there somewhere...
    Keep going on the education thing. I've been to Kurt's seminar twice (and hosting one in 3 weeks), and i learned much more the second time. In part because i had used what i learned a few more times, and in part because i was able to build on what i learned.

earl (the more i learn, the less i know)

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Dear John too!

We received the exact same language in our e-mail yesterday. I agree that you need to keep positive, however, it is funny how quick your own guys turn on the grant writer. I am not a professional grant writer, but have been successful in prior years. I am college educated with a Master's degree in Engineering and have a successful career with much responsibility. I break my rear end doing much of the paperwork, letter writing, and financial work for our department, which includes all grant applications, not to mention being a Lieutenant.

Last year our line officers came up with a terrible project that I new would not do well even if I wrote like Hemingway! However, I was overrulled, so I wrote the grant and was DENIED on the first DJ. This year, we had a much better project with real goals and objectives and we ALMOST got there. In 2004 we had an equally deserving project and got funded. The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!

Sorry for the vent, but you get bad news and get kicked in the teeth right after it! Funny how those that can't or don't try can easily criticize.

Well, take care and good luck to all next year.
    NCVFC17

MembersZone Subscriber

Received our DJ as well. No SCBA's for us
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ncvfc17 View Post
    We received the exact same language in our e-mail yesterday. I agree that you need to keep positive, however, it is funny how quick your own guys turn on the grant writer. I am not a professional grant writer, but have been successful in prior years. I am college educated with a Master's degree in Engineering and have a successful career with much responsibility. I break my rear end doing much of the paperwork, letter writing, and financial work for our department, which includes all grant applications, not to mention being a Lieutenant.

Last year our line officers came up with a terrible project that I new would not do well even if I wrote like Hemingway! However, I was overrulled, so I wrote the grant and was DENIED on the first DJ. This year, we had a much better project with real goals and objectives and we ALMOST got there. In 2004 we had an equally deserving project and got funded. The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!

Sorry for the vent, but you get bad news and get kicked in the teeth right after it! Funny how those that can't or don't try can easily criticize.

Well, take care and good luck to all next year.
    Best solution for that is to let the loudmouth write it himself and see if he does any better! Bet he was not anywhere around last year helping you gather data either. Make sure he gets the same comment from you when he gets DJd.I would like to suggest that if you are haiving these problems that maybe you should get in a seminar form one of us in here. Believe me; many, many in here will tell you how much it helps out.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!
    Kind of ironic, you are the golden boy when the the grants are awarded, but don't have a clue what you are doing when the DJ's come in. Working with a committee that has no real understanding of the process makes your job that more difficult, even applying for a grant you know wont fly.

They either need to attend a seminar, take over the process or tell the chief you need to work solo.

Forum Member

One solution when finding grants is not to say anything. Just apply. If you're awarded, it's great. If not, no one knows any better!

I guess that's the benefit?! of being the Chief.

Forum Member

Count my department as a Charter member also in that "0-fer" club. It must be pretty cool to receive thousands of dollars to purchase much need equipment. Oh well, sucks to be us I guess. Difficult to be positive at this point.

Forum Member

these dj's were they sent to departments that have received the 1199's and the 10 questions?

MembersZone Subscriber

There has been 1 posting of a department that recieved a DJ that had previously recieved the 1199A & 10 q's. Unknown if there were other issues such incomplete reports etc. that may have caused the DJ.

There have been no other postings, it may be an isolated case, but maybe not.

Forum Member

I think it was isolated. They had their Ref. Award # taken away in Dec. I think after that, they were out of the running. I am not worried.

yet.

Forum Member

The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!
    I hear ya. My response to that statement would be "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Some people are quick to point out problems or what needs to be done, but real slow to help actually solve the problem.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of your department fully appreciates your efforts. Don't let one 'bonehead' throw you off track.

Tim

Forum Member

Recieved our DJ.

Some people also complain that the same departments keep getting the grants. Well, maybe those same departments know what they are doing.

Last year our chief gave the OK to apply for the grant (and what we can apply for) with less than 3 weeks before deadline Made it to final DJ....so this year I think we may have a shot at it with a little tweeking here and there!!!!! Good luck to all!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information