Test Date: TBA

Applications can be picked up at:
    F.D HQ
    401 E. Fayette Street
    Baltimore, Maryland 21202
    1-866-520-FIRE

Forum Member

there's nothing on the website
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Exclamation BCFD apps???

Pssssttt....Maybe... It's a se-ret... maybe.... because we dont know the
    se-ret ha-dsh-ke... maybe... because were not the right col-r or gend-r...
    ---will you get that phone call or a ride to the test site?... I urge all of you please do your self a favor--- study current events ("FD-NY, FD-NY, FD-NY, 60-19, 60-19, 60-19!")... keep ALL options open, if this a repeat of the tradgedy of January past, please do yourself that favor....

KEEP your eyes and ears open and your skin THICK...

Good Luck... Peace

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cb1776 View Post
    Pssssttt....Maybe... It's a se-ret... maybe.... because we dont know the
    se-ret ha-dsh-ke... maybe... because were not the right col-r or gend-r...
    ---will you get that phone call or a ride to the test site?... I urge all of you please do your self a favor--- study current events ("FD-NY, FD-NY, FD-NY, 60-19, 60-19, 60-19!")... keep ALL options open, if this a repeat of the tradgedy of January past, please do yourself that favor....

KEEP your eyes and ears open and your skin THICK...

Good Luck... Peace
    They just had a LODD, brother/sister. That might be the reason behind the delay.
    Last edited by BarMan; 02-10-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Forum Member

Lightbulb BCFD apps.

Good point there BarMan... but that was'nt my point, I want to make people aware of these BS city civil service systems so that when a BIAS bunch of beancounters and civil libratarians decide whose "qualified" and who isn't, feelings don't get hurt.... As in the case of another recent showing...
    Good point about the LODD... RIP...Peace.
    Last edited by cb1776; 02-11-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Forum Member

Does Baltimore mail applications by any chance?

I have been waiting for this job to open up for a while, and I will go down to pick one up if I have to, but traffic on I-95 from Philly to Baltimore isnt the most pleasant to drive in, so mail would be great!

Thanks

Forum Member

Exclamation BCFD Apps.

To my knowledge... NO, they do not. I took the test back in '04 and it was the same deal as it is now. You have to go to either a firestation or HQ and pick one up yourself. They try to limit the number of people who want to test by not making it "public", at least thats what they did back in '04. Also, I think in '04 they only took the first 1500? applications, not sure about now.

I found about it by surfing the net one day and made the trip down. Call around before you go to certain firehouses to make sure they have them. The '04 test had a list of places to go. Go to the BCFD website, it has a map and phone #'s that you can use and print... I picked up mine at a Firehouse in East B-more, in a not nice place (hint, hint). Call around to the inner harbor/downtown/Camden Yards area Firehouses, HQ is also down there too.
    Good Luck.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Do they have residency requirement?

Forum Member

Is Paramedic required as a prerequisite? Or is it something that newbie's are required to obtain within a certain time frame?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie42 View Post
    Is Paramedic required as a prerequisite? Or is it something that newbie's are required to obtain within a certain time frame?
    The only prerequisite is a pulse. Everything else is provided to you, including EMT-I training. EMT-P is on your own, if you want to upgrade later.

Forum Member

Exclamation BCFD FPA Medic??

No, it's not a pre-req. But it's also not like Annapolis, Mont. Co. MCFRS or Fairfax Co. in which you get a hiring preference. If you're already certified I dont know how they will do you in the academy. I know when I went through my Dept. Fire Academy I sat and played "victim" during EMS training because I was already a Medic. So, like said not sure, but either way it will help you academicly becuase your scores will be higher and you wont have the fear of being fired over your head. Trust me, I never saw grown men driven to tears like i saw in good ol' EMS training...
    Good Luck.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info!!!

Forum Member

As far as getting EMT-I and riding along, do you go to an engine/recue/truck company and run as a Firefighter/EMT-I, or do you go in and ride the bus for 5 years than transfer over? I, personally, dont care because I love riding ambulance...but I also LOVE the Firefighting side of it, and I would like to do it for Baltimore...

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Cb1776

I believe you are right, CB. I took the test last year and you had to pick up the application and submit it in person. (I passed, got a few letters in the mail, but never heard anything after despite a lot of polite, patient phone calls to drop my name at HR).

On a side note, are you on the job in Philly? Do you know when they'll be hiring next?

Forum Member

No, I do not work for Philly. I live 20 minutes outside. I do, however work at the Base with about a dozen Philly guys. They just tested this past spring/summer and from what I hear, THAT was the list to be on because there are a LOT of retirees and hiring coming. If you go in the Philly Fire thread, you'll see they are moving through the list pretty fast. But as far as the next written test date, I dont know. And there is that whole residency bologna...

-Stanton

Forum Member

Red face Bcfd Q/a

AirForce, yes, they made it clear to us in the interview and at the academy phys. agility that you have to ride the Ambo. for a "significant" time period. In the hiring packet back in '04, it said that you were expected to function as a FF and EMT-I --"BASED ON THE NEEDS OF THE DEPARTMENT" and they made you sign a contract for the training to hold you liable to finish the training. When I went the medical physical I got to talking to FPA's and 2 regular paramedics who told me that YES, you will be on the AMBO. for quite some time when you first start out because of senority and numbers. They said eventually you could promote and become an EVD-emergency vehicle driver, or a full fleged paramedic through a bridge program to make up for lost training that you fall short with in EMT-I but... take into consideration--
    Big City, Budgeting, $$$, Instructor availibility---nothing is guaranteed. I spoke to the Academy staff the next morning and they said they same thing the people at the medical told me above.

Like said if it's what you want go for it, EMS in a city like B-More can be a party if you have the patience for the rude and the BullS**T "my tummy hurt" at 3 a.m. call and if you have the right additude and know how to improvise and don't mind running with no lunch break. Like said if they would train the FPA's to the Paramedic level I would have taken the job. You will see some damn cool things and get to play out in those mean streets... if you don't mind... it's all up to you...
    Good Luck.

Forum Member

CB1776:

Are you on the job in philly? I'm waiting to hear for Car 1 to either extend the list or put an annoucement out for a new test.

MembersZone Subscriber

No residency, no prereq. All training provided including emt-i.
    You get assigned to suppression after the academy. After you complete your emt-i you do 1 year on the medic, and get detailed to the medic as needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like you need a MD license to at least apply.

Forum Member

I'll check tommorrow, but usually as long as you have a valid license somewhere else, you can transfer easily
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Default Maryland DL

Wow, this is definitely a new requirement.

On a slightly sadder note, tomorrow is the funeral for the fallen FPA. She's in our thoughts.

Forum Member

my computer wont let me read the flyer...is there anything on there about out of towners? Any one know what there run volume is? fire /ems/actual jobs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agaudio View Post
    Looks like you need a MD license to at least apply.
    The flyer is a little vague there. You actually only need a driver's license VALID in Maryland, not a Maryland license.

Forum Member

I just called. You have to be eligible to get a MD class C license. So, if you have a valid Class C license, you'll need a MD address to get one of theirs before appointment.

Thread Information